Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Children On Concerts
Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: May 28, 2006 19:26

I'd like to take my little brother, who is a big fan, (11) with me to the Hannover concert, floor ticket, 98 euros.
Will he be able to enjoy the show or will he be unable to see anything and get pushed around ?

Re: Children On Concerts
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: May 28, 2006 20:04

actually he's a "little" fan - he's only 11!

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 28, 2006 20:07

I don't know really, but it probably depends on how tall he is...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 28, 2006 20:14

I took my son to his first stones concert when he was about that age. He spent half the concert on the shoulders of two big bikers who adopted him for the evening and made sure he saw every moment.

...Nice folks, us Stones fans ;^)

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 28, 2006 20:17

He'll probably be hooked on the Stones for the rest of life.
If you can take that - then go ahead and take him along.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 28, 2006 20:24

I ought to add that HE's now the big hairy biker [or looks like one]

...I'm hoping to sit on HIS shoulders this year !

Posted by: Tekumseh ()
Date: May 28, 2006 20:33

I've seen 1 yo children at Stones concert. With earplugs or other ear protection. Some awake enjoying the sound and the lights, some asleep in their parents arms.

Bring your children, this might be the Stones' last tour.
And they'll remember it for the rest of their lives. 'Remember daddy when we were at the Stones concert.'

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: May 28, 2006 21:48

IMHO little kids don't belong at rock concerts, only because statistically they are places where more dangerous accidents happen than normal. Also at quite a few gigs in my life I have seen traumatic things happening, not suitable.

Date: May 28, 2006 22:02

Well, he will be 12 when the concert will happen, I don't think he'll see many embarassing things in the town of Hannover.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: May 28, 2006 22:03

I know 12 year old kids that are a lot longer then most adults.

Be more specific, please!

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: May 28, 2006 22:09

Bring the kids! My dad brought me along when I was 7 (41 years ago), and had me on his shoulders through the whole show (about 30 minutes those days). That night in Oslo changed my life. My friend brought his 5 year old daughter to the show in Oslo in 1995, and she got to meet the band... Keith kissed her, after she said the only three words she knew in English: I love you. (And then her dad started crying....) It certainly was a lovely moment, and when she sang "Hey, hey, you got me rocking", the entire band was amazed.

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: May 28, 2006 22:13

I think he will be fine.

Have seen younger kids enjoying themselves at concert.

Did once see a boy of about 7 or 8 being passed to the front as the crowd were a bit roudy,he ended up sitting on the barrier FOS,looked happy once he got there.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: May 29, 2006 01:22

Spud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> ...Nice folks, us Stones fans ;^)

we've obviously never met

Posted by: HoldOnToYourHat ()
Date: May 29, 2006 01:30

i went to see Stones @ RFK in DC 8/1/94, I was 7......i remember "Out of Tears" and big inflated things on...Street Fighting Man or HTW, I cant remember..but the most "dangerous" thing woulda been all the lighters out, today I'd say its safe for a kid to go as long as hes accompanied by an adult.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 29, 2006 03:04

The first time I took my son of 15 with me he kinda liked the whole concert thing except when "Toots And The Maytals" start playing it scared the shit out of him, they started so loud that he what to leave, I convinced him that he got used to it and it did.

So if you are in front be prepared.

Date: May 29, 2006 03:11

I took my daughter when she was 8 years old to a Stones concert at the Fleet Center in Boston in 1999. My daugther REALLY loved the show, altough she did ask mommy is Mick Jagger 21 years old? I answered no he justs acts like he is. LOL
There was some fans smoking pot nearby which concerned me so we moved right away.
I decided that it would be best to leave the show but on our way out there was a Boston police officer who asked my daugther how she liked the show? We said what had happened and the policeman took us both right down to the front so we could enjoy the show properly. The police officer stayed with us through the rest of the show. I was so happy for my little girl that she could see the Stones close up and say it was her first concert.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: May 29, 2006 03:56

Thats an interesting story about taking your 8 year old daughter to see the Stones. My concern is exactly what you stated. Drug use (although generally mild), rough language, abundant drinking, etc... these things come with the ticket price. The first Stones show I ever saw was when I was 14 and I felt LOOOONG overdue for it. My earliest childhood memory is when I was 4 years old, in my room, listening to Let It Bleed on a Fisherprice record player. I've been ready ever since, but I wouldnt have been able to appreciate the live show until around age 9 or so, IMHO. At age 14 me and my dad walked to our seats, and although I had smelled weed before (I lived in the tropics where they dont care if you smoke reefer. Its like cigarettes as long as your not in a restaurant or something.) he pointed out that smell, said it was weed and that it was common at concerts. Instead of being offended by it my dad merely pointed it out, and it was like "oh, another cool fact to learn on my first concert experience". And what better way to experience my favorite rocknroll band, the one I've been listening to since childhood, than with my father who is also a fan. smiling smiley

What I fail to understand is why these things, even for people who are EXTREMELY OFFENDED by drug use, would cause you to leave the show. For 1 its a Stones concert. Nothing except drunks spilling beer on you should make you want to leave the show. Secondly, your kid/s likely wont notice the smell of it unless you made it a point to mention it, or unless you've raised them in a culture where people arent criminalized for smoking a completely natural plant.

I would say that unless the "child" is around the age of puberty they shouldnt go. I've been around the families who bring their kids with them... When you have a 5 year old running around bored wanting to get get snacks its incredibly distracting and irritating. Unless the children are genuine fans, the parents simply shouldnt bring them.

I honeslty wish they would just say no children under age 10. Babies shouldnt be at concerts. SMALL children shouldnt be at concerts. 10 years old, thats cool. They're old enough. Thats just my opinion. Those of you who want to bring your 5 year old kids to the shows, just be glad I'm not incharge of promotion. I'd also make it general seating so that scalping would no longer exist.

-Drake

Date: May 29, 2006 04:13

What I fail to understand is why these things, even for people who are EXTREMELY OFFENDED by drug use, would cause you to leave the show. For 1 its a Stones concert. Nothing except drunks spilling beer on you should make you want to leave the show. Secondly, your kid/s likely wont notice the smell of it unless you made it a point to mention it, or unless you've raised them in a culture where people arent criminalized for smoking a completely natural plant.

Not to be unkind, I just want you to know that my daughter is very grown up for her age. I am not at all offended by people smoking pot. The thing was, She had said, Mommy, Whats that smell and I just said, I don't know! Then we moved to another area. I made NO point at all. I just am very protective. I think we ended up fantastic in the end as we did get to the front for the rest of the show.

Date: May 30, 2006 01:41

Well, I think drug use is not a big problem.
There are many people around, including myself, who occasionally like to puff some nice weed, and my little brother wouldn't even recognize the smell of it.
Also, my daddy is an alcoholic and after all my brother had to go through, i don't think that he'll be hurt in any way if he sees some drug abuse on the concert.
I'll be with him and I know that he'll do what I do.
My only worry was if he will be alble to see anything at 1,50 m or so.

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: May 30, 2006 04:19

Take him. I've taken my two sons to many, many shows over the years. They have each seen the stones twice and hopefully again in Munich this summer.

Aren't the tickets in Europe general admission on the floor? I think you will find him to be your ticket up front. These are Rolling Stones fans, some of the kindest, happiest people in the world. Most will be impressed that he is there and will gladly allow him (and you) a better view.

He'll never forget it.

B

Posted by: drake ()
Date: May 30, 2006 08:47

Not to be unkind, I just want you to know that my daughter is very grown up for her age. I am not at all offended by people smoking pot. The thing was, She had said, Mommy, Whats that smell and I just said, I don't know! Then we moved to another area. I made NO point at all. I just am very protective. I think we ended up fantastic in the end as we did get to the front for the rest of the show.

No unkindness taken. I very much understand that your daughter was/is mature enough to attend a Stones concert. Coming from a conservative background I very much understand not wanting to INTRODUCE your children to any drugs, knowingly or unknowingly. Its a matter of moral responsibility with the raising of children. (I say this despite the fact that I have no children, I just recognize the importance.) You did endup fantastic in the end. Thats seriously an amazing story. I'm sure there are quite a few stories of other parents who didnt have a similar outcome though.

I guess my main point is, if you're going to bring your children to a Stones concert, beware. Its not the same Stones show these days as it was in decades past, but its still the Stones. I honestly believe there are some kids out there who really want to go to the show and it'd be an awesome family outting for them. There are other kids though who could care less and their parents simply drag them along.

Plastered adults are much more irritating than kids who are rocking out. I just hate it when the kids are bored, or the parents bring todlers and just complain about how loud the show is.

(btw, I hope i didnt come off harsh or anything. its very hard to communicate tone on a forum)

-Drake

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: May 30, 2006 13:04

Hanns, I took my then 11 year old to the Olympiastadium in Munich in 2003. We stood at the rail of the catwalk. No problem at all and he could see well from there. A dangerous moment can be the opening of the gates. Lot's of pushing and even dangerous for grown ups.

@Rialb, you may be right that RS fans are kind. But it is naive to believe that they would let a kid into first row after having waited in line for 6-8 hours just to get into first row themselves.

Posted by: Gricha ()
Date: May 30, 2006 13:08

I have recently taken my 11 year old to 3 gigs in USA without any problem whatsoever.
The first time I took him to a RS concert he was 3 so I wouldnt worry about this.

Grichka >> [collateral-interference.blogspot.com]

Posted by: lolitars ()
Date: May 30, 2006 13:56

Hi there, I took my 3 year old daughter to the last show in 2002 in madrid, and she loved it. Of course I was not in the grass. She had her chair and she stood up all the show.
Last night the Stones where supposed to play in Madrid, and I was going with my daugther, she is 7 now and with my other kid, 4. And they were all excited. They love the whole thing.
By the way, I was also going wtih my parents and sister, the whole family. Three generations!
I think is great,
so don´t be scared, just get him a good seat so he doesn´t get sofocated.
Good luck

Date: May 30, 2006 14:01

I took my daughter at age 14 to see the Stones at MSG on the Licks tour. There were people smoking pot and getting drunk all around us. It didnt bother us, the concert was awesome and she loved it. Now she's been to 3 Stones gigs, and my son who is 14 has experienced his first Stones gig at Giants Stadium, ABB tour. Again, lots of drinking and smoking but there were alot of families there. They both ended up with a rum and coke drink from someone's tailgate party, and I thought they were drinking coke! So my 14 & 17 year old kids were drinking at the concert, and I didnt realize it, so if you bring your kids, they will be tempted to all the special pleasures of doing something wrong, I said yeah....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1299
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home