Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
She's The Boss
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 23, 2006 19:28

I listened through the entire She's The Boss, yesterday.
It's been a long time....
There's 4 tracks that's good: Hard Woman, Secrets, 1/2 A Loaf and Just Another Night. I really think these songs are pretty good....not like RS though.
The rest is quite unbelievable....something. I couldn't help laughing when I heard Running Out Of Luck. The first minute when they try to make it groove....a new guitar comes in.....it's bizarre, 'cos it doesn't groove at all.
I was really pleased when I found the video "Running Out Of Luck" some years back. I know some of you like it...but I just couldn't watch more than 15 minutes.
When I was young, I thought a few of this tracks were OK pop-songs, even though they couldn't compeat with Rolling Stones.
When I listen to the album now, it's like finding a computer game from 1989....it's so out of touch.
Then again, it don't make me furious, it's just funny.
Is there any strong opinions about this album...?
Anyway, this was todays weeks lamp post.
(It's better than coconut-post number 1793)

Re: She's The Boss
Posted by: neilly43 ()
Date: May 23, 2006 19:38

Erik - I have to agree with your top 4 although I don't dislike any track particurly. I think Just Another Night was a superb track and would have loved to hear the Stones do it together slightly more rocky. Not bad effort tho'

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 23, 2006 19:41

I like only 3 songs on this album: Just Another Night, Lucky in Love and marvellous ballad Hard Woman. Even Primitive Cool is better album in my opinion, although it's also far from being good. But Mick finally proved he can write cool solo stuff on Wandering Spirit and Goddess... These two are great albums.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: May 23, 2006 19:42

I dig the cover...seriously

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 23, 2006 19:42

I did not like it at the time it was released, mostly for the guitar sound. I do like it a lot now. It's fun. I don't have the cd, only the old LP, but it gets a spin regulary. I find it has a touch of Van Halen in it. But who didn't in those days?

C

Date: May 23, 2006 19:43

Yea, Just Another Night is real cool.
Most instruments and licks on this album are so outdated, and they must have been when it was released too. But Just Another Night is mixed and played in a new and brave way. It even got a machine-gun in the rythm-section.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: May 23, 2006 19:46

Mick should have become a hermit for the '80s and spared us.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 23, 2006 19:48

I agree with the songs you say are the best but I'd add Lucky in Love to that. The rest are pretty bad and that 80s production make many of the songs unlistenable. If you combined She The Boss and Primitive Cool and added Ruthless People you'd have one good album.

Just Another Night
Say You Will
Ruthless People
I'm Ringing (b-side)
Hard Woman
Secrets
1/2 A Loaf
Party Doll
Kow Tow
Shoot Off Your Mouth
Lucky In Love

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 24, 2006 18:12

I started listening to this again a few weeks ago as well. I brought it out for Hard Woman, great song.

But I also like Just Another Night, Lucky in Love, and Secrets. It is pretty dated sounding, but that's ok.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 24, 2006 18:16

We could wipe the entirety of musical output from the 1980's and really not be worse off for it....seriously.

Date: May 24, 2006 18:17

CindyC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I started listening to this again a few weeks ago
> as well. I brought it out for Hard Woman, great
> song.
>
> But I also like Just Another Night, Lucky in Love,
> and Secrets. It is pretty dated sounding, but
> that's ok.

I see you mentioned Lucky In Love, as most others here.
I think it's about 3 minutes too long....but I like the part "but there's a place where I still win....etc"
But the verses are horrible...especially the synth and the guitar.
I think Hard Woman was one of the most expensive music-videos at the time, at least that's what the TV-woman told, before it was sent in 1986 or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-24 18:19 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 24, 2006 18:19

Great cover, though! Especially the back. I picture this when I listen to "Rain Fall Down," but a little darker.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 24, 2006 18:31

Erik_Snow Wrote:

I think Hard Woman was one of the most expensive music-videos at the time, at least that's what the TV-woman told, before it was sent in 1986 or so.

That sounds familiar. Kind of a waste of money if you ask me. It was pretty boring with those stick figures walking around.

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: May 24, 2006 18:38

I always loved this album. There were a few songs I did not care for or at least had to be in the right mood to hear them but all in all I loved it. My wife had never heard it before several years agao and she really likes it too.

Fred Hardin
Pleased to meet you........

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: May 24, 2006 18:42

I really like She's the Boss. Just another Night and HArd Woman are great songs, I do also like Lonely at the top.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 24, 2006 18:43

Can't believe nobody's mentioned "Lonely At The Top", co-written by Keef. Best rocker on the CD.

Like J. Beck's guitar work on "Lucky In Love" and "She's The Boss", too.

Date: May 24, 2006 18:44

dunhill beat me to the punch!

Date: May 24, 2006 18:47

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> dunhill beat me to the punch!

winking smiley

Did never bother to check whether it was co-written with Keith even though I always had that feel, and I always wondered about the backing vocals, always believed I could here KR voice in the back.

I hate Primitive Cool though, how can you like Let's Work?

Date: May 24, 2006 18:49

dunhill Wrote:

> Did never bother to check whether it was
> co-written with Keith even though I always had
> that feel, and I always wondered about the backing
> vocals, always believed I could here KR voice in
> the back.

Keith was furious that Mick "stole" the song.
He recorded a new version of course, but the old one is a bootleg-outtake-classic.
I think Jagger's version is awful....not because of Jagger's singing, but because of the guitar, drums, mix....everything.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 24, 2006 18:58

the problem I have with Shes the Boss is that you instantly recognize the decade............and that's a disappointment...........I think thats true for a lot of work around that time (80's)..........however, when his early solo stuff is compared to Wandering Spirit and Godess you really understand what a great songwriter Mick is.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 24, 2006 19:01

Without question the best Jagger album for me. A consistent band feel.

Ofcourse it sounds like an 80s album- what would you expect?! But it's brimful of innovative ideas, structures and rhythms which are generally lacking on his other stuff.

I like Sly and Robbie and I love Jeff Beck. I think the songs are all strong, except perhaps "Turn the Girl Loose". I very much like the Nile Rodgers effect - as witnessed on another 80s favourite - Bowie's "Let's Dance"

Date: May 24, 2006 19:13

I remember the video for Hard Woman, it was so "ahead" at that time.

And the video for Just Anothe Night? When he tries to convince the drugstore clerk that he is Mick Jagger, showing him a copy of Through the past darkly?

Mi nome es Micky, Micky Jaguiro

Iglesias, Iglesias, Iglesias

smiling smiley

Date: May 24, 2006 19:15

Yeah, that Just Another Night video is funny.
It looks like Mick is imitating Keith, when he's playing the guitar, BTW.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 24, 2006 19:19

I hate Mick's version of Lonely At the Top. Maybe because I know what the Stones' version sounds like and like it much better.

I also don't like the single version of Hard Women, I love the version on the actually album. Does anyone have the sessions that turned up not too long ago where Mick does a solo version of Gangster's Maul. What else is on these taps?

Posted by: nick ()
Date: May 24, 2006 19:25

As much as I loved this album when I was younger, my cynicism now makes me hate it for what it truly represented; The loss of at least 2 Rolling Stones albums, 1 maybe 2 Rolling Stones tours, what Live Aid could have been, and continuing the charade with Primitive Cool.

Phil Collins, love him or hate him had juggled his solo career and Genesis quite well. Both Collins and Genesis albums at that time were very successful.

With Mick we got Dirty Work and 2 substandard solo records that I think most of us here would agree we had some lame years waiting for the 89 tour and a new record.

Mick is my favorite Rolling Stone but I honestly believe that we all got dicked.

Date: May 24, 2006 19:33

I always thought Mick is the singer of the Stones, he should leave solo work alone.

Keith's solo records were way, way better and I guess the new records from Steel Wheels and on are way more like Talk is Cheap than like Primitive Cool or She's the Boss.

Date: May 24, 2006 19:55

dunhill Wrote:
> I always thought Mick is the singer of the Stones,
> he should leave solo work alone.
>
> Keith's solo records were way, way better and I
> guess the new records from Steel Wheels and on are
> way more like Talk is Cheap than like Primitive
> Cool or She's the Boss.

r u kidding us?........Keith's Hate It When you Leave.......... being the standout exception........... is pretty much all that stands the test of his solo tenure.........most of the rest of it is all filler......Mick has consisitently delivered original, diverse and current music that up until today is the driving force behind ABB......

Date: May 24, 2006 20:00

Mr Wibble Wrote:
> Without question the best Jagger album for me. A
> consistent band feel.
>
> Ofcourse it sounds like an 80s album- what would
> you expect?! But it's brimful of innovative ideas,
> structures and rhythms which are generally lacking
> on his other stuff.
>
> I like Sly and Robbie and I love Jeff Beck. I
> think the songs are all strong, except perhaps
> "Turn the Girl Loose". I very much like the Nile
> Rodgers effect - as witnessed on another 80s
> favourite - Bowie's "Let's Dance"

I'll agree that it is full of innovative ideas and structures.......and without this album he could not have gone on to the others........but the whole Nile Rodgers influence is very limiting and I can remember even Bowie stating several times that Let's Dance was perhaps his lowest artistic moment........he wrote it for radio airplay and for money which he desperately needed........Jaggers subsequent work is better all around.

Date: May 24, 2006 20:09

nick, well spoken. Good, valid points.

Date: May 24, 2006 20:11

Rip This Wrote:
> r u kidding us?........Keith's Hate It When you
> Leave.......... being the standout
> exception........... is pretty much all that
> stands the test of his solo tenure.........most of
> the rest of it is all filler......Mick has
> consisitently delivered original, diverse and
> current music that up until today is the driving
> force behind ABB......

No, I ain't kiddin ya.
Main Offender is a lot of filler, but Talk is Cheap is a great record.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1431
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home