Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Madonna in Concert
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 23, 2006 10:20

I saw Madonna open her "Confessions on a Dance Floor" tour at the LA Forum last night. I'm a casual Madonna fan, having seen her once before, and also saw her at Live 8. It was overproduced, heavy on the social commentary, and made liberal use of backing tapes. On the other hand, the sets and videos are spectacular, kind of like a Cirque de Soleil for dance maniacs, the choreography got the (about 50% gay) crowd going, and when she does sing solo (without backing track) she sings quite well. Overall, I would recommend it if you like this type of music.

The one thing that is relevant to our discussion of the Stones, is that Madonna has the nerve to devote about 1/2 of her show to new material. Most of her warhorses are either retired or completely redone. In fact, she closes her show with her an extended version of latest worldwide hit, "Hung Up." I wish the Stones had a little more faith in their new material (and in their fans) to play a few more new cuts, and to reinvent some of their older material (although I know that while some will be great, ala Stripped, some will suck, ala 19th Nervous Breakdown). I would enjoy seeing them take a few more chances.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-23 10:22 by drbryant.

Re: OT: Madonna in Concert
Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: May 23, 2006 10:40

See it from other point of view...... Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Tumbling Dice and all the rest of war horses..... are so good songs, are so fantastics... than they are moderns today.... They can play it in live since they are a-temporal songs....

What about Madonna?? Like A Virgin, Like A Prayer.... do you imagine it?? Mostly of the Madonna songs, are songs for a summer maximum... you listen them today and "uffffff... crap".... You listen today the old hits of the Stones... and mate.... they rock!!!

This is the "small" difference...... and this is the reason cause they can still play the old hits... this is not than madonna donĀ“t want play their old songs.... the problem is their old songs are crap... and the moderns ones will be in any months...

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 23, 2006 10:41

Interesting, cos' I'm going to see her in London Wembley Arena on 1st August, and looking forward to it too. I don't think I'll be needing to see her more than once in my life, but just the once, it's a must. It would be rude not to - as the saying goes ! Thanks for posting.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 23, 2006 11:30

drbryant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a casual Madonna fan, having seen her once before...

That's all you needed to say. Now GET OUT!!! :-D

JumpingKentFlash

Date: May 23, 2006 11:53

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> drbryant Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I'm a casual Madonna fan, having seen her once
> before...
>
>
> That's all you needed to say. Now GET OUT!!! :-D

Let me rephrase that then: A friend of mine who used to be an NBA dancer wanted to see Madonna, so I decided to take her.

Is that better?

Date: May 23, 2006 11:57

That depends.............Is she hot?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 23, 2006 12:01

drbryant Wrote:
> JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> -----
> > drbryant Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I'm a casual Madonna fan, having seen her
> once
> > before...
> >
> >
> > That's all you needed to say. Now GET OUT!!!
> :-D
>
>
> Let me rephrase that then: A friend of mine who
> used to be an NBA dancer wanted to see Madonna, so
> I decided to take her.
>
> Is that better?

well madonna is somewhat known for her dancing troupe and choreography,
so i could understand you wanting to take a nice dancer friend out to experience this...
i would have handled it the same...
only first i would have killed myself.

Date: May 23, 2006 12:07

She's very pretty. Short, with a tight dancer's body, though, so those who prefer lots of curves might disagree.

Date: May 23, 2006 12:13

Beelyboy Wrote:
>
> well madonna is somewhat known for her dancing
> troupe and choreography,
> so i could understand you wanting to take a nice
> dancer friend out to experience this...
> i would have handled it the same...
> only first i would have killed myself.

This reminds me of the threads on this board about Michael Jackson. The "purists" just can't comprehend anyone actually liking dance/pop.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: May 23, 2006 13:00

drbryant, I won't make fun of you but I'll tell you in a serious way what the problem is with Madonna ,IMO. First of all my girlfriend is/was a long time Madonna fan (has kinda cooled off on the last few CD's - American Life/New One) so I'm pretty familiar with her songs and have most of the DVD's. IMO there was a point when Madonna put out the RAY OF LIGHT CD were I thought it just might be her REVOLVER (Beatles album) That is that she was finally going to get some meaning in her work (the songs on there are more experimental and serious. Like one of them is about the death/murder of her friend Versace, who was shot and killed in Miami by a freak) I thought taking this more adult direction was great. She was at that point were her next album could have been her SGT PEPPER. Instead she reverts back to Disco with MUSIC and a video with ALI G. (whom I like usually) and that's always been her problem in a nut shell. She could be much more relevent and sing about things with meaning (she does have a handful of songs that say something) but she always runs back to her disco crap and giant productions. Personally I think it's cause she's scared to strip herself of all that sideshow garbage and be real. She PROBABLY could make the change but I don't see it happening. I also don't see a 50 year old woman doing another disco album /show so she's painting herself into a big corner.She has to make a choice soon. Too bad she lacks the courage to really make her work something with more value to it than a Big Mac Hamburger but that's the SAFE road she's choosen. I just can't respect that - she's the Mcdonalds of pop music......

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 23, 2006 13:04

does that make solo-McCartney the KFC of pop music?

Posted by: keefed ()
Date: May 23, 2006 13:07

"Hung Up" as an international hit? It can be true! But what would be with the song without that famous sample which she used...

Date: May 23, 2006 13:31

Adrian-L Wrote:
> does that make solo-McCartney the KFC of pop
> music?

Nope, anybody that's been in the greatest band EVER and created pure magic from 1963 to 1970 with John Lennon that will never be repeated will NEVER be fast food.....

BTW, if you've seen the DVD - LIVE IN RED SQUARE + ST.PETTERSBURG show he's much more creative with the set lists then "The Boys" on this tour. With that said ABB is much better then McCartneys last studio work (Chaos and Creation).

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 23, 2006 16:28

Sorry folks. but sitting through a McCartney show was absolute torture.........it's a bad Karaoke performance............ he can barely hit the notes, the new material is BORING, and the recent material is even worse. Talk about an oldies act................that's in denial!!!!!!!!!!!

I like some of Madonnas stuff (Ray of Light, Bed Time Stories the mature 90's material girl version)............Madonna is a spectacle. I recommend going to see her once if you've never seen her before. She doesn't sing through out because of the dancing involved (a lot of backing tracks)...the show is acrobatic/athletic....the outfits are interesting....it's pop theatre.......and so it's a good date night.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 23, 2006 17:06

Madonna = good, disposable, dance music. Nothing more, nothing less. Can't blame drbryant for taking a Laker Girl to see her.

I don't care about her politics or world views, just the music. Ditto Mick Jagger, Bono, Sting, Bruce, Susan Sarandon, or any other celebs. I'll make my own informed decisions.

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: May 23, 2006 17:25

Someone should film a documentary of Madonna on tour titled This is Vaginal Tap.

Date: May 23, 2006 17:52

drbryant Wrote:
> Beelyboy Wrote:
>
> > i would have handled it the same...
> > only first i would have killed myself.
>
> This reminds me of the threads on this board about
> Michael Jackson. The "purists" just can't
> comprehend anyone actually liking dance/pop.

aw, doc, i ain't the 'purist' i like 'off the wall'
'sing shout shake yer body down to the ground'....
i like a lot of abba too...and lottsa poppy dance music...
heck, i even liked several songs off of paula abdul's
'forever your girl' debut...and others...
a lotta people wouldn't tolerate that...

i also like rafel mendez on trumpet and a lot of diverse stuff in diverse
genres....

tho i guess it depends on how one describes "purist"
there are certain things, acts, periods of certain bands etc, that i naturally 'get off' on...even seem to live for...that much is true.

madonna just has never ever done 'it' for me, in any way, especially 'vocally'
that's all...i could dig the groove in some of those earliest productions on singles...

maybe there could POSSIBLY be even ONE poppy dance star act that YOU don't like??? that for whatever reason seems too light or silly or untuneful or whatever to your very own drbryant tastes...
could that be?

and i like ensemble dancing too...i take endless teasing from my dearest friend for YEARS because i have always refused to diss Brittany Spears...lol..
truly....i get "brit" notebooks and stuff for xmas...wiseasses...
stuff that you'd give a ten year old girl five years ago...
dunno how they find this stuff, but they do...and it's hardee har har let's send this to billy.
i love shania twain...
merle haggard train songs...lottsa different stuff...
i even played all 4 sides of metal machine music and lived thru it.

and tho certainly no expert, and not really intelligently informed,
i have been to the ballet and the opera (not just The Who at the Metropolitan Opera House in NYC, but that too)
and many alvin ailey troupe performances...

why can't i just not like some artists and groups?
of all the acts i've loved and posted about, there have only
been a very few mtv kinda bands or artists that i just can't stand.
it's individual taste and a mystery to me myself...
get offa my dancing cloud.... maybe it's her 'tone' or something,...
i dunno...
how was the show?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 23, 2006 18:09

Beely, I like a wide variety of stuff too. Beatles, Faces, Skynyrd, CCR, Zep, some of the punks, 60's bubblegum, older country, blues, reggae, Bach, Stax and Motown, .......the list goes on and on. Even stuff like KC reminds me of good times and great friends. Of course, number one on my list is ......

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: May 23, 2006 18:10

Two words: lip sync.

Date: May 23, 2006 18:46

drbryant Wrote:
> She's very pretty. Short, with a tight dancer's
> body, though, so those who prefer lots of curves
> might disagree.

Cool. You're forgiven mate. :-D

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: May 23, 2006 19:08

So give me some feedback.... I am not a particular Madonna fan, but have never seen her live. My 16 year old daughter is a singer and dancer. Shall I spring for some tickets and make it a girl's night out? If anyone has seen the show any info as to whether or not it makes much difference where you sit would be appreciated. Or should Ijust save the approx. $300.00 and give my daughter some money to go shopping??!! Sarah

I know its not rock and roll.....

Date: May 23, 2006 19:57

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> Beely, I like a wide variety of stuff too.
> Beatles, Faces, Skynyrd, CCR, Zep, some of the
> punks, 60's bubblegum, older country, blues,
> reggae, Bach, Stax and Motown, .......the list
> goes on and on. Even stuff like KC reminds me of
> good times and great friends. Of course, number
> one on my list is ......

yeah elmo; thanx for this post...
i heard ben e. king's "stand by me" on the radio in the car last night...
and it totally flipped me out how great everything about that performance and arrangement was....like i had never heard it before...background harmonies, incredible lead vocal...amazingly spare, but lovely strings and percussion arrangements...(liked Lennon's version of that too, not as much the original tho)

ha; u like bach AND bubblegum...
that's the way uh huh uh huh i like it.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 23, 2006 20:11

Signed:
Erik_Snow, Norway

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: May 23, 2006 23:18

I like Madonna. I know she's kind of a bitch but I enjoy her. I actually looked up her setlist yesterday to see what it was and I was suprised and impressed that she devoted half the show to her new stuff. I too wish the Stones had more faith. I'm voting for at least 6 songs a night from ABB and at least 22 songs a night. I paid a lot of money to see them this year. 22 songs should be the minimum. Period. I only heard 3 new songs last time I saw them. I was so disappointed. I was glad to hear Love is Strong (the most recent besides ABcool smiley but still I wanted more new stuff. I was even slightly annoyed to hear Respectable on the bstage and no new song. WTF. PROMOTE YOUR NEW CD!!!!!!

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: May 24, 2006 02:38

kaskatanas Wrote:
> >
> What about Madonna?? Like A Virgin, Like A
> Prayer.... do you imagine it?? Mostly of the
> Madonna songs, are songs for a summer maximum...
> you listen them today and "uffffff... crap"....

At least for me, that's not a bit true. Madonna has over a dozen incredible "warhorses" in her songbook that I never tire of hearing:

Vogue,
Like a Prayer
La Isla Bonita
Holiday
Into the Groove
Papa Don't Preach
Rescue Me
Borderline
Crazy for You
Live to Tell
Express Yourself
Justify My Love
Lucky Star

and these are great "driving" songs too... I can pop a Madonna CD in the stereo, hit the road from New York and be at the Mohegan Sun inside of 2 hours... Madonna, the Dead, the Stones, the Chili Peppers... they all work to make driving a joy.

That said, I prefer more of the Classic Madonna sound... I didn't care for the Drowned World Tour which was mostly her new stuff. Her last tour before this was much better because it had alot more of her standards. Some of her new stuff is interesting but, like almost all great song collaborators, her best stuff was in her 20's and 30's.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-24 02:41 by BornOnTheBayou.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 24, 2006 02:43

MADONNA DOESN'T BELONG ON THE SAME SITE AS THE STONES!!!!!!

SHE IS TERRIBLE!

Posted by: eric ()
Date: May 24, 2006 02:54

Hey.. anyone who survives almost 30 years in the music biz has earn thier respect. She doesnt compare to the Stones IMO nor is she tring to. Although she has reinvented herself over the years and she still has a market... give her credit. PLUS she take no crap from anyone. Yes its simple dance music but she has some good old tunes like... "live to tell" and Vougue and Holiday.. simple but not ment to be complex either. I have seen her several times and enjoyed every show. She is original in her approach and artistry in her live performances. This chick has proven herself way beyond the Brittney Spears or Spice Girls... she is not a record company whore... she sets her own demands and for that she has my respect. Sorry boys... but Madonna is still controversial and still gets varying opinions.... Sounds like some boys we all have learn to love over the years!!!

Date: May 24, 2006 04:39

I love people who live in Worlds of Illusion so, since MADONNA is one of those, and has made her ass/arse the star of her last video, I decided to write a song for Grandma Madonna, feel free to add to it. Here we go:

"MISS MADONNA (wants ta con ya)" by MicksBrain, copyright 2006 - all rights reserved

Miss Madonna/wants ta con ya/into seeing her third rate/cruise ship disco floor show

Her zipper will pop/her titties will drop/but she ain't never ever gonna let you go (without you leaving behind some serious doe)

Miss Madonna/Wants ta con ya/sitting in her sauna/singing so very high and low (getting her voicebox ready for her very tired show)

Her vocals are flat/her fat ass needs a good slap/but when Grandma Madonna start gyrating/she's gonna get her paws on some of your serious scratch

Miss Madonna/wants ta con ya/but she ain't gonna warn ya/that she might just pull a leg muscle or two

But when grandma starts a twistin'/your erection stops resistin'/ You'll be sweating so profusely/like you're boiling in some giant pot of stew...

Date: May 24, 2006 05:30

hello Brain (& Pinky)

pasted my following response from the 'where is mick' thread when u asked if i had seen the new masterpiece...
____ _______ _______

oh yeah i did bubba!!! 'when grandma starts twistin'/your erection stops resistin'...

another classic Brain couplet...
gonna have to start a MicksBrains lyrix thread before long...
that's 3 now, innit?

i'm gonna go back to that Madonna thread when i get enough rhymes for "skank"
and see if can get add a bridge...

i need a bridge for brain's madonna
many say listen but i don't wanna
and i don't much care if she reads the kabbalah
rankie skankie walk the plankie she can't sing it's all a prankie

Posted by: atip ()
Date: May 24, 2006 05:40

call me narrow-minded but madonna sux. i wouldn't go see her if you threw in free dinner at a 5-star restaurant.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1466
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home