Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ronnie's Unique Guitar Sound
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 18, 2006 20:11

By the by, my favorite all-time guitar work by Ronnie is Sweet Little Rock'n'Roller on Rod's Smiler. He comes a close runnerup to Keith as best Chuck Berry imitator on that track. Hair rises on the back of my neck everytime....but then I'm always a sucker for CB....

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 18, 2006 20:58

What makes a great guitarist, or musician of any stripe? It ain't mere technical ability or virtuosity, but personality and , broadly speaking, expression (i.e. look how distinct and expressive J.L. Hooker or Johnny Thunders were.)
Me and others have talked ad infinitum about RW's marginalization in the Stones, but on "Not For Beginners" (2001) he still makes a beautiful album, perhaps his most haunting and mature. If the early ones sound like Faces/Stones with more soul (Womack) or funk added, this sounds like nobody except Wood, and it shows the effect of years of addictions (especially on his voice, which sometimes makes it more moving), the depression ("Seems like we're going through a bad patch..../Look on the bright side, people say / That's bullsh*t"), the despair, and what remains important to him (love, family, music-making with friends, heart, humor) in every groove (yeah, I know it's a CD), and the multiple guitars/dobros/slide/mandolin/steel/etc absolutely shimmer in many spots. Anyone digs the early Rod (Gas Alley) or the Wood/Lane Faces stuff
should hear this...For great songs, check "Are You Behaving Yourself?" or "Wake Up You Beauty"

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 18, 2006 21:45

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> [i9.photobucket.com]
> IMMERBOY%202/75-WOODY2.jpg
>
> Ron Wood interview Rolling Stone September 2005

Thanks, Rockman, your newspaper clippings are
always a highlight!

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: May 21, 2006 04:58

LMAO at the title of this thread.....I read it and wondered where the phrase "lack of," was lol

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: May 21, 2006 05:30

Ronnie is very underrated...one of the very best guitarist IMO. He is one of the most versatile guitarist. Rock, funk, reggae, ballads, blues, punk, disco, etc. etc. he can capture the feel, the mood of the song, his playing has heart.
His sound is the way he plays.

download #7, love or hate the song listen to Ronnie in your left speaker.........

[iorr.org]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2607
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home