Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor vs Ron Wood
Posted by: Tekumseh ()
Date: May 16, 2006 22:24

I just watched some of the YouTube-videos here (Love In Vain) and I'm surprised how good Mick Taylor was on the guitar.
When I compare it to the live video of Sway wich was posted on 'Hot Stuff' last week, where Ronnie is both missing the tune and the rythm...

But Ron is never sober on stage and Mick T looks very sober on the Love In Vain clip. How big difference are there between them? Without the booze'n drugs?

Re: Mick Taylor vs Ron Wood
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 16, 2006 22:29

O shit - not this again. You really SHOULDN'T have started this thread ! You've no idea what's goin' to follow !

Posted by: AltVoltatge ()
Date: May 16, 2006 22:35

Definitelly I agree with you. The best Stones years for me, musically, are the Taylor years. Since I was a teenager I realised of that and the official records and bootlegs of that time are like a treasure for me.

Woody is a Stone in style, image and attitude but as a guitarrist he is only average(!) so he is more a good bassist. Since he joined the band, the sound became more and more dirty (except in the "Tatoo You" album)

I miss Mick Taylor so far since 1974.

Posted by: jseb ()
Date: May 16, 2006 22:44

mick taylor is definitely the best.

ronnie is OK, but he isn't good enough to play in the greatest rock'n'roll band ever...

Brussels, ? , Stade Roi Baudouin

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 16, 2006 22:49

Tekumseh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just watched some of the YouTube-videos here
> (Love In Vain) and I'm surprised how good Mick
> Taylor was on the guitar.

Compare it to Woody in his prime with the Stones,
you will surely find a great Love In Vain version
from the 1978 tour.

Btw: No ne w "I hate RonnieĀ“s playing thread", thank you.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 16, 2006 22:50

why people can't realize that just you can't compare that? i mean two different era,
both great cuz of their differences! Is like saying (bowie fans can understand me) what era is best: Ziggy or the Thin white Duke? I love bowie cuz he was able to change and be great in every era!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 16, 2006 22:55

farawayeyes2, you're very correct! It's the capability of changes that make them so interesting and genius.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 16, 2006 22:56

Wrong thread, it should be in OT: jokes.

Posted by: Manhattan ()
Date: May 16, 2006 23:00

Let's rephrase the question, shall we!

150 kg vs 75 kg

I'd go for Ronnie weighing in at 75 kg. MEZ

and Ay ay baby it hurts

Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: May 16, 2006 23:42

ok, both were great and have had their moments. ronnie personally fits the stones' sound now better, taylor was better late '60's early 1970's. this really should not have started, this'll go on for longer than the drunk thread.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 16, 2006 23:44

You got to be kidding me..

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: May 16, 2006 23:47

Ronnie's Love In Vain stuff was almost mindblowing on Stripped too.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: May 16, 2006 23:48

who is the better rolling stones guitarist?

mick taylor by knockout in the second round...

i think the whole ron wood "personality" thing is so exagerated.. who cares that he likes to get wasted with keith richards? i know i don't..

ron wood was great with the jeff beck group and faces..... tremendous on that stuff.. unfortunately after joining the stones he went downhill... he's not even the best guitarist to my ears on black and blue which was recorded with three different guitarists being tested for job... of course ron wood got it... ron woods most important musical contribution was around 1974 with its only rockn'roll ... lets face it the guy has just not been that interesting to listen to... the whole keith and ron weaving stuff is bullshit etc...

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: May 16, 2006 23:53

Taylor is of course better and added more in many ways but Ronnies fills and slidesolos and riffs etc suits them fine. Or did in 1976-1982

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 16, 2006 23:55

is this thread where we sign up to be permanently banned from the board?

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: May 17, 2006 00:01

Mick T is my favourite guitar player. What he did to The Stones' music especially live is amazing.

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: May 17, 2006 00:05

If you like classic blues based lead guitar runs and fills and solos in the style of Bluesbreakers/Stones Golden Era you gotta love and worship MT.

If you like the weaving, alternating Woody/Keef sound and great slide work of 1976 to the present era Stones you gotta love Woody.

It's a matter of opinion of course!

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: May 17, 2006 00:06

Ron sucks and Taylor is fat. Can we end this thread now?

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: May 17, 2006 00:10

Gee an entirely new and different subject.......how clever........

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 17, 2006 00:13

Mick Taylor`s playing is more virtous, if you read "According to the Rolling Stones", Ronnie is saying that as well. But Ronnie and keith communicate better, in my oppinion you hear that when you listen to live recordings from the nineties, as Keith and Ronnie sa there is a lot of the "ancient art of weaving". This is no platitude, it is really great to listen to. I love the playing of Mick taylor and Ronnie Wood.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 17, 2006 00:17

We should not blame Tekumseh for this Topic but Brian Jones.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 17, 2006 00:20

This is a useless discussion and I have said at least 10 times during the past months it is not open for discussion here.

Bjornulf

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home