Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Guitar players your help please
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: May 16, 2006 07:24

I really dig JJF,BS and SMU but I am getting a bit bored.Can anyone advice me how can you add some nice licks so as to make it more interesting.In general how can someone add small solos all licks on his own?Any help is appreciated.

Re: Guitar players your help please
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 16, 2006 07:29

well, I dont play gituar, Im very ameturish piano player. what if you just practiced the scales of like the key the songs in and then just came up with combinations of those notes and see what soudns good? I don t know if thats any help.

Date: May 17, 2006 09:45

Yeah I thought of that but if I am correct there are many scales you can use in a song.How can I know which one of them is suitable so as to practise on?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 17, 2006 10:36

First of all, you indeed need help for many reasons.

If you're bored playing guitar along to the Stones,
you might want to think twice about your new hobbie.
Find another instrument.I'd say give up the guitar,
perhaps you could switch to the tambourine.
Mind you, I was never a professional guitar player nor will I ever be,
I am a visual artist, therefore my opiion is up for debate.

But when I was young, my favorite songs to jam to on the guitar were the Stones, Beatles,
and all the blues masters who inspired it all. Howlin' Wolf, BB., etc.
And also later, Hendrix, Page, Beck, and Clapton .
And also Pete Townshend, Johnny Winter, Santana, and many, many more.
I never got bored! After I "mastered" the blues, the sky was the limit.
I still bust out my acoustic and play along with Gimme Shelter just as did when I was 14 years old.

Hopefuly you can enjoy the feeeling of the tunes and not get bogged down
with the fact that you are "bored" playing guitar.
you've got to find it in your soul my friend, and keep hacking away at the strings and frets.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: May 17, 2006 17:35

You have 2 options here, neither of which mean giving up the guitar! smiling smiley

1. Learn to play some other songs, either on your own or join a band!

2. Try writing some of your own songs - it's easy to write songs, but it's not easy to write good songs! Find a good subject for your song (getting bored with playing guitar COULD be a good subject!), then see what you come up with. Try different tunings - you'll find that song ideas 'pop out' from the strings if you listen!

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 17, 2006 17:49

Try finding someone to play with and exchange licks, etc. You may impress him/her with your ability of playing these Stones songs.

Date: May 17, 2006 18:08

Basicaly I am love playing for example Brown Sugar but I am bored to play the same chords over and over again.I mean Keith doesn't do that.He adds some nice licks inside.Basicaly I am stucked to open tunings and I find very difficult to play songs in normal tuning.I can play the licks but not the chords.Now I love more my guitar more than ever but I want to add something new to the things I already love.
I don't play Brown Sugar the same,beacuse it depends how I feel the exact moment I play.But the only variation I can do is between chords and not small solos.

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: May 17, 2006 18:19

just play strato, the feeling for the licks needs some time , but it will come !
try to improvise while you are playing. don´t worry ´bout wrong notes, they will disappear sometime - don´t give up
keep on rollin´

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: May 17, 2006 18:22

Keep playing it over and over and you'll wind up surprising yourself.

How long have you been playing?

Posted by: Apt. #9 ()
Date: May 17, 2006 18:26

Try to play live versions of the songs. Listen to them a couple of times and you can hear some things that Keith does to mix up his playing a bit. Listent to some early 70's Stones live cuts and you can hear Keith doing alot more runs on parts of some songs.

"When I was a junkie I learned to ski, and I recorded Exile on Mainstreet" Keith Richards

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: May 17, 2006 18:32

Keep playing. It's sad to hear that someone says they think you should quit.

I'm the lyricist/songwriter for my band, and I find that two things work:

1. Take a song that you hear, and play around with the notes or the fundamental melody or rhythm to make it something you can play around with and jam with. For instance, take the opening riff to some song, and play it backwards (probably hard to do, but it's an idea) and then come up with your own song out of that. It's essentially improv. With improv, you take some things that you know, and you build off of them with your own stuff, until you're comfortable going in your own direction.

It's like what our band did at our most recent rehearsal. We started to play Johnny B. Goode, and then riffed for a bit, and then went right into "I Can't Explain" by The Who. If you play along with familiar stuff long enough, you find ways to transpose the initial thought of the idea into your idea of what the song could be, whether in a completely different way of playing it, or in a song that you've written

2. With lyrics, I find that it's easiest to look at what's been going on in your world recently. Even the tiniest thing can make for a good song. I think Mick is a good example, even though he has written some great lyrics, of how simple the process can be. It's like he said with "Oh No, Not You Again," how he had a book of phrases, and that was one of them. You can base an entire song off of just a simple phrase, or even an adage or maxim of some sort.

I've got examples of lyrics that I wrote that follow that formula, if you'd like to see them

Hope that helps you find something

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 17, 2006 18:46

You've gotten some good advice here Strato. Try this one: Play the songs you know in different keys. For example, try Under My Thumb in the key of D instead of A (Bm, A, G to start instead of F#m, E, D) I think you'll find that the song will take on a whole new feeling. Also try chord subsitutions, A7 for A, Bm for D, C#m for E and so on. Above all, play, play and play some more!

Date: May 17, 2006 19:35

Thank you very much guys I'll try.I am the badest guitar player in the world but I am really amazed how many things was improved.For example a silly one for you but very important for me who have the guitar a few months(add and the fact how bad I am).In the begining I had to look where to put my right hand so as to strum the string I was pressing with my left.Basicaly the best thing you told me is to keep playing.I'll try the variation in the keys you told me and the others.However the most amazing thing was the idea of making my songs,which I love beacuse I like to create but never tried to think and express musicaly.
P.S I always put my dvd on the player and start playing with the boys(my dream).The moves that Keith does really help me to keep the rythm.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 17, 2006 19:56

Try Beast of Burden - E B Cm A

Date: May 17, 2006 20:11

by the way imo the best stones songs to improve your playing and improvising are:

SLAVE
midnight
and can´t you hear me

these are my 3 faves,try them especially slave

imo: don´t try to copy keith 100%, find the strato (your) style.
place solos ,where no solos are on the record and so on
and don´t listen to people,who say you should better quit playing guitar.
a guitar can give you a lot .

cu playin´´n´rockin´

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-17 20:16 by TeleK.

Posted by: Gerland ()
Date: May 17, 2006 20:42

Hairball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> First of all, you indeed need help for many
> reasons.
>
> If you're bored playing guitar along to the
> Stones,
> you might want to think twice about your new
> hobbie.
> Find another instrument.I'd say give up the
> guitar,
> perhaps you could switch to the tambourine.

I don't think that's a fair assessment, for more than one reason.
Of course it can be boring playing the same structures over and over again. Then again, it can be very exciting, it all depends.

For a beginner (I once was a beginner myself) it can really be a revelation, the first time you produce something that vaguely sounds like your favorite music. For me, and I know I'm not the only one here, it was being able to play the riff to satisfaction the day I got my first guitar (11 years ago, time flies). But after that it can get boring, because you have only so much to work with. So you start exploring chords, scales, whatever. Or, if you like to play Rolling Stones music, why not ask for advice on a Stones message board? No reason to stop playing, I'd say.

Then there's another group of players who might or might not find it boring to play along to Stones songs: the more advanced players, who maybe want a little bit more. Ok, now I have to choose my words carefully, I don't want any misunderstanding here.

It's possible to like, or even love the Stones (I love them to death), but still find it boring to play along to their music. The main reason being that the Stones' music is very limited in structure. It's either Chuck Berry like rock 'n roll, something in open G (open E, etc.), or something based on the same old rock chords, with a few exceptions. That's fine, since they've always managed to make it into something exciting (well, not always, but that's another discussion). That doesn't mean though, that if you don't think it's THAT exciting to play along with, you've chosen the wrong hobby/passion/profession. Guitar music doesn't start or end with the Rolling Stones.

I started playing guitar because of Keith Richards. Still love his playing (at least up until '95), but technically, I play circles around him. Does that mean I'm BETTER? No, it doesn't. We both do our own thing, although there's no denying he's far more successful at it than I am smiling smiley

Ok ,sorry guys, this post is getting a bit long. I just wanted to say:
Being bored playing along to Stones tracks doesn't necessarily mean you chose the wrong instrument.

I'm off to practice some Chick Corea for a couple of hours now, and after that, I might just put on Sticky Fingers smiling smiley

Take care,
Gerland

Date: May 17, 2006 20:50

yeah a guitar never becomes boring ....

Date: May 17, 2006 21:40

I have asked for midnight rambler tabs,and I took a quick look(I have to buy a new set of stings beacuse I removed on again the low E),and show that it was just a riff again and again.I mean I don't have access to the tabs of many songs that I would like to play such as slave or midnight rambler.Also there a type of music that I would try it to death if I had the tabs.Something like instrumental blues.If someone has heard Eric Clapton's Rush soundtrack,the first 3 tracks he will know what I mean.Also I love John Campbell who doesn't have one tab to try and he does some great blues/country stuff.The bad thing is that I can't depend on my ear beacuse I won't find a single note to play:0)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1668
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home