Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Knebworth 76-what's your take on this show?
Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 13, 2006 02:45

Good, bad or ugly?

Re: Knebworth 76-what's your take on this show?
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 13, 2006 02:51

all the above

Posted by: BAGGISH ()
Date: May 13, 2006 03:26

The Stones at their drunken, sloppiest drug addled best.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: May 13, 2006 03:56

Love it!!! Absolutely one of my favorites. 29 songs, 'nuff said!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 13, 2006 04:00

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: May 13, 2006 10:49

I love it. One of their best shows ever. And look at Keith when he joins Mick on Hot Stuff, he smokes and sings at the same time and that sequence alone makes me wanna start smoking. He is the star of that show.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 13, 2006 10:50

I like it very much..that set-list cant be beaten..no way!!

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 13, 2006 11:36

They were hours late coming on as I recall...because Keith didn't show up on time
...Not much change there then ;^) I also remember Ronnie's 100 foot long guitar lead and the bloke reeling it out as he wandered down the wing of the stage..no wireless in those days !

Skynyrd were good too.

I also remember sleeping on Stevenage station on a luggage trolley and being completely wrecked. [You wouldn't get away with that these days].

Posted by: 999 ()
Date: May 13, 2006 13:27

Spud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They were hours late coming on as I
> recall...because Keith didn't show up on time

I was too young to be there but I heard the very long delay came from big troubles with the PA system

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 13, 2006 13:43

I heard it was because Keith was in an almost coma state....he wouldnt wake up.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 13, 2006 14:31

Yeah..really big trouble with the PA sytem...No Keith to play through it ;^)

Who knows ? ...but by the time they came on, everybody was absolutely knackered.
That feeling, as usual, disappeared with the first chords !
[but returned big-time after the show ]

Sitting all night and watching the world go by outside Kings Cross station after the Twickenham gig on the Licks tour was an education too!

Thhe thing I like about Sheffield gigs... is that they're half an hour from my front door.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-13 14:36 by Spud.

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: May 13, 2006 14:58

I was there too.

It had been a great day,but a combination of an early start to get there,being out in the sun all day, youthful exuberance and perhaps a bit of over-indulgence, as well as the long long delay in the Stones appearance meant I was SHATTERED.

Everybody stood up of course when the band finally appeared, but the legs gave up after the first few numbers and I crashed out. Remember recovering briefly from my haze to stand up and dance around a bit, and then crash completely till the birds in the trees at first light the next morning brought me round,in a field of discarded rubbish.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: May 13, 2006 15:37

rooster Wrote:
> I heard it was because Keith was in an almost coma
> state....he wouldnt wake up.

LOL. That's Keith in the 70s. But yes, he seems really really gone on this show. Anybody know what was wrong? Heorin was there from 1968 on but maybe he was more deep into it after Tara died. I read that in in Barbara Chrones book. But was there anything special that day??

Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: May 13, 2006 15:48

does anyone have any pics from the show?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 13, 2006 15:59

mttlacroix Wrote:
> does anyone have any pics from the show?

© Copyright 2001 Rock Music Memorabilia

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: May 13, 2006 21:18

I was there! I remember it was about 11.30 p.m. by the time they came on - we were told P.A issues but in hindsight I'm sure it was issues with Keith! Finished about 2 a.m. I remember getting a coach back to Leicester with mates and then started to walk to Loughborough (12 miles). On the outskirts of Leicester we were then stopped, questioned and then given a lift by the police!
Anyone remember the guy who entertained everyone I think in the 3 hour gap before the Stones came on? If you were there you'll remember! He's still dining out on that story

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 13, 2006 21:28

Ronnie's solo on Wild Horses is legendary.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 13, 2006 21:32

one thing about Keith's performance that i find very striking in the footage from the show:
look at his approach to the microphone - every damn time he's supposed to be there he is there,
addressing the mic head on, forthright as a boyscout. quite a change from his usual ummm idiosyncratic approach!
i always wonder what kind of tirade went down before the show to elicit that.
there's an interesting moment in HTW too, where Mick acts like he's prancing off leaving Keith to sing the refrain alone -
the look of terror on Keith's face is utterly endearing. :E

Keith, be well - all the way, baby, all the way

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: May 13, 2006 21:36

best wild horses of all time,ronnie is on fire

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: May 13, 2006 21:46

The DVD I have is from Jointrip, it's not complete, there are a few songs that start and then end abruptly, Stray Cat Blues in one of them.

Is there a complete version of this show on DVD?

If yes, anyone want to do a trade or B&P?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 13, 2006 21:57

i've never heard of *complete* Knebworth footage being in circulation.
there's a version with a couple more numbers, but if memory serves Stray Cat is incomplete on that one too.

Keith, be well - all the way, baby, all the way

Date: May 13, 2006 21:59

Knebworth is only complete on cd. But even there a few songs are with inaudible vocals. Stray Cat is the worst. Unfortunately.

Posted by: amsterdamuk ()
Date: May 13, 2006 22:19

I was there too. It was a great day...Skynaard were outstanding...literally had everyone on their feet late afternoon...amazing stuff.

It was the first time I had seen the "Lips" logo and stage...it was the biggest stage I had seen...remember the technology was crap too so the usual screens and sound problems. But the Stones were really awful. Really really awful. Completely out of it/untogether/disinterested/shambolic...and I know that this is not my memory as I have a video of their performance and it is grim.

Indeed this was one of the lowest points in my lifelong stones affections.It was after this, that they took the possibilities of playiing as a band and the opportunities of rock theatre more seriously...

I also have a poster of the event...and for the life of me have no idea who the Don Harrison bands was/is...they were on the gig with Todd Rundgren, Hot Tuna et al...I have a memory of Van Morrison being on before the Stones and that was dreadful sound and added to delay...(we werent told of Keiths unavailability at the time).

But none of it mattered. It was a truly great day.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 13, 2006 22:26

Id really like to get my hands on a CD or DVD of this show sometime. to me its like the holy grail or something. Its taken on a kind of mythical status for me.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: May 13, 2006 22:27

sounds good to me.........raw & ragged..........great setlist......i always go for loose and chaotic before mannered perfection (boring)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-13 22:28 by Leonard Keringer.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: May 13, 2006 22:31

wild horses & route 66 incredible , da rest dont do much 4 me

Posted by: rockmusicmem ()
Date: May 14, 2006 17:45

A commemorative set with a free gift of 6 CDs and a 16 track DVD of the Knebworth 1976 Festival is available. Details from info@rockmusicmemorabilia.com

Date: May 14, 2006 22:54

Similar memory to Barking paul, legs went after the first few songs, got up for the warhorses, danced around like a moron and woke up in the woods in a dream like state. I recall them bieng late on because the previous act was late. 10 cc it was. It was a great occassion and my mates and me had ridden down on our old british bikes from Newcastle in really hot summer weather.

One of the highlights was seeing Skynerd who were braking thier duck in the UK at the time.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 14, 2006 23:27

exhpart Wrote:
> I was there! I remember it was about 11.30 p.m. by
> the time they came on - we were told P.A issues
> but in hindsight I'm sure it was issues with
> Keith! Finished about 2 a.m. I remember getting a
> coach back to Leicester with mates and then
> started to walk to Loughborough (12 miles). On the
> outskirts of Leicester we were then stopped,
> questioned and then given a lift by the police!
> Anyone remember the guy who entertained everyone I
> think in the 3 hour gap before the Stones came on?
> If you were there you'll remember! He's still
> dining out on that story

was this the infamous story of the guy (was he a roadie) who climbed on top of the stage and jerked off in full view of 200,000 people???

well..I suppose its a different form of entertainment than yawning through some dreary support band

Posted by: HamishCameron ()
Date: May 15, 2006 02:14

15 years old and my second Stones concert. Remember it being a really hot day and struggling to keep awake during the early part of the day. Lynyrd Skynrd were superb and really rocked. Remember 10CC taking a hammering from the fans as they only wanted the Stones. They took a barrage of bottles. Definitely a day I'll never forget. One of those coming of ages type of days. Thought the 30 song set was awesome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home