Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: New Neil Young Album
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: May 10, 2006 01:59

Blatantly poltical. Free samples on his website. A Canadian railing against America's wrong turn? I agree with the man.

Gotta be careful here -- don't want to risk the wrath of Bjornulf.

Let the music speak for itself. Go here: [www.neilyoung.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-10 02:03 by bassplayer617.

Re: OT: New Neil Young Album
Date: May 10, 2006 02:11

Watch this interview:

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 10, 2006 02:13

When was the last time ol' Neil actually lived in Canada?
(sorry if ignorant question; but I thought he lived in US since the 60s?)

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 10, 2006 02:16

Who gives a crap if he's Canadian? As if musicians are only allowed to comment on issues in their OWN country....

nobody seemed to give a crap that NONE of the musicians on "We are the World" were from Africa....Bruce Springsteen is from JERSEY....not exactly Zimbabwe.

It's music...and he's always been political...if memory serves (which it doesn't always) didn't he PRAISE Reagan in one of his songs in the 1980s? I thought I read that somewhere...could've been an acid-flashback, though....wait....I've never taken acid....or maybe I have and just said that b/c Big Brother is WATCHING US ALL!!!!

Neil Young rules the Universe....

Date: May 10, 2006 02:19

I give a cr*p; cause I like the man.
It's curious people call him Canadian all the time if he lives in the US.

Date: May 10, 2006 02:19

baboon....he has lived in the U.S. for around 40 years....but, still has property in Canada and never took U.S. citizenship....

next thing we'll want to build a wall on THAT border too!

Date: May 10, 2006 02:22

What Neil said in the above interview makes sense to me. Watch it and draw your own conclusions.

Bjornuf may not approve, but man, YOU watch it and tell me if what I'm doing is wrong or inappropriate.

Date: May 10, 2006 02:23

I'm sure BV isn't going to dig on this thread...but, does it REALLY matter what someone's citizenship/ethnicity/race/whatever is if you "like the man" as a musician (or as a human being)?

just curious....why does it matter?

Date: May 10, 2006 02:24

Yeah, didnt he play already on that "Stop! Hey! What's that sound... ?"
I mean... For What It's Worth by Stephen Stills.
with Buffalo Springfield back in 66-67... [members.tripod.com]

A true rocker! Dont care about the politics.

Date: May 10, 2006 02:24

Now tell us more about the album!

Date: May 10, 2006 02:26

I honestly haven't listened to the album....a buddy of mine said that MUSICALLY he considered it "OK" but not Neil's Best...sort of "put together quickly"...

of course, my buddy is not an expert on shite and neither am I...

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 10, 2006 02:27

There's another thread about the "new Neil Young album" from a week or so ago for those interested (no this is no criticism of this one)

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: May 10, 2006 02:28

Great album, though, a bit of free form rap like on "Give Peace a Chance" by Lennon would have really jazzed up "America The Beautiful". The words and ideas are right on for what NY was/is trying to do. Another NY album where you're either in the same head space he's in or you just don't get it, like a lot of the people who didn't get "Greendale". There's a great video floating around the Net set to the song "Let's Impeach the Preseident". Well worth finding.

Date: May 10, 2006 02:32

Anyway - here's Buffalo Spr-field...

I will get the new Neil-album. And I aint dl:ng it, d'ya hear?!
(Pic from [members.tripod.com] )

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: May 10, 2006 05:39

It is really a good album. I listened to it a couple of times today. A pissed off focused Neil is an amazing thing to watch. I personally don't totally agree with Neil on this but I love the album. I would love to see him tour this with the Restless or the Horse but I guess I'll have to put up with his friends on the Neil Young Charity CSNY tour this summer.

Keith get well soon. You are the best.

Date: May 10, 2006 06:19

It appears that it will be the Restless:
Neil Young, Chad Cromwell, Rick Rosas with CSN as back up on the summer tour.

Also Ben Keith and Spooner Oldham.

Great!

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 10, 2006 08:08

just got tickets to an august CSNY show. haven't seen neil live since 1992.

have only heard 1 song so far on new cd. will have to check out rest....

thanks for the reminder and link.

Posted by: RollingStonesUSA ()
Date: May 10, 2006 13:35

It's a great album....

"It's Good To Be Here, It's Good To Be Anywhere"-Keith Richards

"Halloween Is Every Night Of My Life"-Keith Richards

"I Got The Sticky Fingers, For Some Girls"

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 10, 2006 13:44

It's a great album. In a "Ragged Glory" spirit.

BTW: Hasn't Neil Young undergone a very similar brian surgery to Keith's a year ago? How long did it take him to recover? I'm just curious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-10 13:45 by franzk.

Date: May 10, 2006 17:41

Neil did have surgery for a brain aneurysm last sping. Since that time he has recorded and released two albums and a film. There is hope. Hopefully Keith will have a similar recovery and return soon as good as ever.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 10, 2006 18:33

I'm glad someone had the balls to not just write songs of protest but to actually plan to play them live. Long ago the Stones were such a band and a proponent for change in the face of injustice. No more it seems still at least they are playing!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 10, 2006 18:44

Always liked Neil Young's transformation when he goes from Acoustic to Electric.
I like Neils tone on Electric.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: May 10, 2006 18:52

Best album since Rust Never Sleeps.

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: May 10, 2006 18:59

stickyfingers101 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who gives a crap if he's Canadian? As if
> musicians are only allowed to comment on issues in
> their OWN country....
>
> nobody seemed to give a crap that NONE of the
> musicians on "We are the World" were from
> Africa....Bruce Springsteen is from JERSEY....not
> exactly Zimbabwe.
>
> It's music...and he's always been political...if
> memory serves (which it doesn't always) didn't he
> PRAISE Reagan in one of his songs in the 1980s? I
> thought I read that somewhere...could've been an
> acid-flashback, though....wait....I've never taken
> acid....or maybe I have and just said that b/c Big
> Brother is WATCHING US ALL!!!!
>
> Neil Young rules the Universe....

Yes, he did support Reagan.That was a strange period of his life. Did`t do it very well.
His greatest benefits to us who like to go on concerts, was his and Pearl Jams war against ticketprizes

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: May 10, 2006 19:01

neil youngs electric solo on Southern Man is screaming wailing and is haunting
and still delivers today when you listen to it

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: May 10, 2006 19:37

Considering the disastrous U.S. invasion of Iraq has resulted in how many dead Iraqi's now ????

Not to mention installation of a government that has more death squads and more corruption than Saddam Hussein could ever imagine...

Not to mention that while Saddam's brutal government at least managed to build roads, schools, museums, hotels, an oil-industrial complex, ports, electrical generation, etc. etc.... George Bush in 3 years has managed to build NOTHING...

Not to mention the cost of this "freedom and democracy" now running $6 billion bucks a month to the U.S. taxpayer...

Not to mention the gaggle of Neo-Cons who concocted the "intellijunk" that got innocent unsuspecting American people mired in Iraq for the benefit of a foreign nation (guess which one), are NOT ON TRIAL FOR THEIR LIES... facing treason and espionage charges as they so richly deserve... but have quietly exited the Bush administration leaving us in this quicksand...

And not to mention that instead of putting the Neo-Con liars on trial for their lives we instead endure a constant drumbeat for MORE WAR against their new pet target: the Iranian people, a nation twice the size of Iraq that the Neo-Con criminals now want us to NUKE... you can read their whiny missives in the editorial pages of almost every American newspaper these days... we just have to consider nuking Iran ...

Not to mention the nearly TWENTY THOUSAND AMERICAN CASUALTIES including nearly 2,500 dead and buried...

&^%$#@ yes Neil Young, John Fogerty, and anybody else with a Braveheart can write and sing every song they want to in order to wake up a sleeping nation from the grip of these foreign agent Neo Cons!!

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-10 19:43 by BornOnTheBayou.

Date: May 10, 2006 21:39

FWIW, here's the latest news from Iraq, you can see what a "great job" we're doing and how "proud" we Americans should be for this incredible job:

"Iraq's Grim Death Toll Tops 1,000 in One Month" : Shock, Dismay and Anger. President Jalal Talabani said Wednesday that nearly 1,100 people were killed in Baghdad alone last month.... surging crime and terrorism.

...attacks continued across Iraq.... gunmen opened fire on a bus... planted a bomb...11 killed, 6 wounded... 13 killed in other attacks... casualties from a suicide truck bombing rose to 22 dead and 134 wounded... the local hospital was overwhelmed.

...1,091 bodies found in the Baghdad area in April were the tip of the iceberg... 'we feel shock, dismay, and anger over the daily discovery of unidentified corpses...

Scores of unidentified bodies turn up around the capital daily, many bound, tortured and shot execution style in an unwavering tide of reprisal sectarian killings...

...thousands have had to flee their homes...

...behind every corpse is 'an orphan, a starving father or a grieving wife...

...Wednesday's worst attack occured about 9am near Baqouba... insurgents stopped a bus carrying employees of the state-run Diyala Electronics Co which makes televisions. After ordering women off the bus, they shot and killed the men inside. When rescuers opened the door to the bus a bomb planted there exploded, killing the rescuers...

... assassinated a Defense Ministry employee...

... casualties mounted at the local hospital...

It just goes on and on... Anybody who thinks that the United States has done a "great job" and is "proud" of this disaster needs to pull their head out of their azz and ask themselves WHO GOT ME INTO THIS MESS ????

ANd the answer is a bunch of Neo-Con policy makers who occupied every important policy position in the White House, the Vice-Presidunce's Office, and the Pentagon... not to mention having an incredible network of "friends" in the media to pump the New York Times front page, all the major TV networks, and other media outlets full of their relentless press for war against the Iraqi people... just Google "Neo-Con" and "Securing the Realm" and you'll have all you need to know about this monstrous crime against the American and Iraqi people...

Iraqis and Americans should STAND UP against this Neo-Con threat and put an end to it, once and for all. There's no statute of limitations on treason and espionage and those responsible for creating and promoting the "intellijunk" that led the U.S. and Britain into this disaster should all face a Grand Jury.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-10 21:42 by BornOnTheBayou.

Date: May 11, 2006 08:54

No sooner do I see this post than today I get a link to 4 CSN&Y gigs in September...

I hope they play every anti-war anthem and just cut the deepest hole in the Neo-Con's azz... call them the lying stinking murdering anti-american scum they are... Fogerty, SPringsteen, CSN&Y, Melancamp, Willie Nelson... it's about time we get some leadership from the world's greatest musicians!

Can't Wait!!!

Link to the presale code and gig info is below

[iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-11 08:56 by BornOnTheBayou.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: May 15, 2006 17:33

Ok, I wanted to wait to comment on the new Neil until I got to listen to the new disc a few times. I am a huge Neil fan and wasn't sure what I'd think of this album after hearing about the chorus and all. However this album is simply amazing. The first song on the album is one of the best song I have heard from Neil in years. The whole album just rocks, loud raw guitar, meaningful lyrics (whether you agree with him or not) and catchy melodies. It amazes me how Neil is contantly evoloving and trying new things. He is not afraid what people think or what the critics say. Can't think of another musician who has been around so many years and continues to do new things like Neil. Can't wait to see CSNY this summer.

Keep rockin Neil.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 15, 2006 17:45

not sure it's his best since Rust, but easily his best since Ragged Glory. That is saying something - he's had some very good albums in the past 15 years.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home