Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Beggars versus Bleed
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 5, 2006 01:00

Hey NICOS

How do you guys pronounce his last name?

In the states, we say it as "van go"

But in France, they say "van gog"

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: May 5, 2006 01:00

Bleed by far (at least to me)

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 5, 2006 01:17

CindyC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey NICOS
>
> How do you guys pronounce his last name?
>
> In the states, we say it as "van go"
>
> But in France, they say "van gog"

We also say van Gog, only the G doesn't sound like a K as you pronounce but with a GGGU (this difficult to tell because you don't have that intonation in your language)

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 5, 2006 01:22

NICOS Wrote:
We also say van Gog, only the G doesn't sound like a K as you pronounce but with a GGGU (this difficult to tell because you don't have that intonation in your language)

I know what your trying to say. Thanks!

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: May 5, 2006 01:38

Man, this is a tough call, but I'm gonna hafta go with Beggars. I think because this is the album where Keith really spead his wings. His solo on Sympathy really established his cred as an electric guitar soloist, and his acoustic playing established his mastery of the acoustic blues. Plus, as many have pointed out on another thread, this record probably contains Brian's last significnat studio contributions. So its Beggars by a nose for me.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 5, 2006 01:40

Hi Jed, when we're gonna hear Jigsaw Puzzle from you ?

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: May 5, 2006 02:03

Beggars Banquet versus Let it Bleed.
How can you compare two masterpiece albums by the 'Stones'
They are both different in content and variety of songs yet they contain some of the skinny english cat's best handywork.

Sympathy for the Devil,Street Fighting Man,No Expections,Stray Cat Blues,Factory Girl on Beggars are still as fresh & strong today as they were in 1968.

Gimme Shelter,Monkey Man,Love in Vain,YCAGWYW,Midnight Rambler,Live with Me,You Got the Siver on Let it Bleed - good lord what amazing songs.

Beggars Banquet is a very good album but was surpassed by the quality and brilliance of the songs on Let it Bleed.

I have always give Beggars 9 and Let it Bleed 10 out of 10 but again it is up to each individuals preference as to which album is best.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 5, 2006 02:11

Why do we keep having to choose? But I would pick Banquet. LIB is my least fave of the Big Four. IMO BB stays at the very top top all the way through. But LIB has that lightly weaker spell halfway through Side 1. "Honk", "Live with Me" and "Bleed" are only 9 1/2 s.
Amazinbg albums like Exile or Sticky that are at hypersound on every second.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: stones40 ()
Date: May 5, 2006 02:44

Well ChelseaDrugstore you could indeed be correct but i have always rated the big 4 as follows -

Let it Bleed - 10
Beggars Banquet - 9
Sticky Fingers - 9
Exile on Main Street - 8

Four masterpiece albums with songs that everyone can relate too in their own experiences of life.
By the way because i have rated them as above that does not mean that i expect eveyone to agree and i respect other peoples opinions.
We are all different as individuals and have separate likes and dislikes and the same applies with the 400 odd songs that the 'Stones' have blessed upon us.

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: May 5, 2006 03:00

NICOS Wrote:
> Hi Jed, when we're gonna hear Jigsaw Puzzle from
> you ?

Hey Nicos- I'll see if I can get the band to run through it this weekend. We have a gig Saturday night, so I don't know. I have always dug Jigsaw. Jagger taking on Dylan at his own game!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 5, 2006 03:05

My two cents:

'Beggars' is definitely a better record taken as a whole - the songs flow better. It feels more finished to me. I always thought 'Bleed' had more less-stellar moments (though even those were still great). Many of the songs from this one worked better live - "Rambler", "Love in Vain", "Let it Bleed"...

But hey, who's complaining? I love 'em both!

Re: Beggars & Bleed
Posted by: Greg ()
Date: May 5, 2006 11:38

with sssoul Wrote:
> Beggars & Bleed are actually a double album -
> far be it from me to ever split 'em up
>
> Keith, be well

Always have seen them as belonging together as well.

BB & LIB: Old Testament (acoustic, blues based)
SF & Exile: New Testament (defines modern rock)

Put them together and you have the Rock 'n Roll bible!

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Re: Beggars & Bleed
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: May 5, 2006 12:22

Greg Wrote:

>
> BB & LIB: Old Testament (acoustic, blues based)
> SF & Exile: New Testament (defines modern rock)
>
> Put them together and you have the Rock 'n Roll
> bible!

but SG and TY are certainly Holy Scripture!

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: May 5, 2006 12:42

SG and Ya'-Ya's are Holy Scripture. But TY is apocryphal in my (holy) book!

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: May 5, 2006 13:54

Damn is this a hard topic. Both have strong arguments. Banquet has sympathy, street fightin man, salt of the earth, no expectations, stray cat blues. Let it bleed has gimme shelter, ycagwyw, title track, monkey man, midnight rambler and you got the silver. its hard though banquet is more country and laid back but the weakest song might be dear doctor and factory girl was better live on flashpoint. Let it bleed had country honk which was a dumb country version of honky tonk women and once again midnight rambler was better live on ya ya's. I think i'll go with let it bleed because it rocks harder and has a whole song with keith on vocals instead of co-lead or whatever you wanna call it on salt of the earth. keith's my fave, just look at the user name.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: May 5, 2006 13:57

Let It Bleed wins this one easy. It has allot more ambience to it, the cover artwork is great. It's got some of the best Stones songs on there. Any album with Midnight Rambler on it has to be best. It also has one of Keith's pearls, You Got The Siver.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1603
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home