Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No Expectations
Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: May 4, 2006 04:27

This is one of my favorite Stones songs off my favorite album, Beggers Banquet. I love all the acoustic guitars on this record, which really highlights how good Keith really is (get well soon, Keith!). Isn't the slide guitar Brian's last significant studio contribution? I have a boot with supposedly Ry Cooder playing the slide part, which sounds technically better, but Brian's seems to have a lot more feeling, like he really DIDN'T have any more expectations. Such a song of longing and regret.

If you're interested, here's my band's version of this great tune:

[download.yousendit.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-04 05:05 by Jed Clever.

Re: No Expectations
Posted by: neptune ()
Date: May 4, 2006 06:02

The slide completely makes the song and is perhaps one of the greatest, most poignant musical contributions on a Stones record. Yes, it's not flashy ala MT. but it is perfect nonetheless. It was Brian's last great studio contribution, although now there are some rumblings from the Cooder camp that it was Ry playing the part . . .

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: May 4, 2006 06:04

it's funny, this message board is turning into a Jed Clever fan-site more than a Stones fan-site . . .

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: May 4, 2006 06:04

P.S. 'No Expectations' is an absolutely fantastic song.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 4, 2006 06:42

sounds really good Jed

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: May 4, 2006 08:57

It is true: he plays a very straight part but there's something magical about it. You can hear the scraping on the strings. I heard that it is said that his slide that we hear in the R&R Circus video is overdubbed.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 4, 2006 09:06

In a Rolling Stone interview, Mick said that it was Brian playing slide on that song. I remember buying the issue but I can't remember if it was from the mid 80's or mid 90's. If I recall correctly, Mick said that they recorded that song as they were gathered around in a circle. I kind of picture it like the scene in Sympathy for the Devil where Mick Brian and Keith are sitting around on chairs strumming and putting the title song together. I guess there was always the rumour it was Ry playing on the song but Mick laid that rumour to rest. Perhaps there are studio outtakes with Ry playing on it.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 4, 2006 11:08

This is a song wich was great on every tour. It was great im the Taylor era. It was great in '78 (listen to Handsome girls 1, awesome guitar rhythem guitar by Keith) it was still great during Licks! My favorite, although hard to choose, would be the Stripped version. The sound, the guitar playing by Keith and Ronnie, Mick's beautifull signing and the perfect harp playing to make this version an absolute beauty!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Borna ()
Date: May 4, 2006 11:22

I love the stripped companion version (tokyo 1995. sessions)

Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: May 4, 2006 13:07

no expectations on handsome girls?
cant recall, or am i just mistaken?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 4, 2006 13:26

Wuudy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is a song wich was great on every tour. It was great im the Taylor era. It was great in '78 (listen to Handsome girls 1

It's not on Handsome Girls (it wasn't played on the 78 tour). But maybe you meant The Woodstock Tapes from the rehearsals (where it was played)?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 4, 2006 13:43

>> In a Rolling Stone interview, Mick said that it was Brian playing slide on that song. <<

maybe this is the quote you mean - from [www.timeisonourside.com]

That's Brian playing (steel guitar). We were sitting around in a circle on the floor, singing and playing, recording with open mikes.
That was the last time I remember Brian really being totally involved in something that was really worth doing. He was there with everyone else.
It's funny how you remember - but that was the last moment I remember him doing that, because he had just lost interest in everything.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: May 4, 2006 15:42

Love this song! Arguably one of the best Stones songs ever. Nice piano in it and the slide guitar is fantastic. Mick's singing is quite nice as well. They should play this one live all the time. smiling smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 4, 2006 19:42

?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-04 22:27 by NICOS.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 4, 2006 22:15

Last time I saw Mick Taylor he chose this song as his encore and played a peculiar, speeded up, rocked up version of it. I think he chose it for its lyrical content. As I found out when I spoke to him afterwards, he had "no expectations" of ever touring the United States again. He could have at least played a decent version of it, though, instead of just tossing it off as a throwaway.

Date: May 4, 2006 22:20

??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-04 22:28 by NICOS.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 4, 2006 22:25

I love No Expectations....and Jed Clever sounds good, man!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-04 22:31 by Lukester.

Date: May 4, 2006 22:29

Yes, he sounds good, altough I prefer "Prodical Son"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-05 00:15 by NICOS.

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: May 5, 2006 02:00

Thanks for the props, Lukester & Nicos!

Posted by: monkey_man ()
Date: May 5, 2006 08:03

sounds nice to me.

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: May 5, 2006 09:32

Could anyone please post the early 1973 version featuring Mick Taylor? The possibility of comparing all three guitarists would be great! Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home