Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: OT: Help me naming my cat please!
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 2, 2006 18:17

Thin Man is not easily digested...I agree with you Cindy. HWY 61 is THE greatest album ever, by the by....and I DARE anyone to disagree.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 2, 2006 18:21

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Thin Man is not easily digested...I agree with you Cindy. HWY 61 is THE greatest album ever, by the by....and I DARE anyone to disagree.

I disagree

#1 Dirty Work
#2 Highway 61

and I DARE anyone to disagree!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: May 2, 2006 18:23

Yeah, true - I go back and forth on those two for #1.....

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: May 2, 2006 18:44

....Yes Sir, That Bobby just loved to tease old Ginsberg to no end.....

"IMPOSSIBLE" as he hand you a bone.....what's a bone?
"Sword Swallower" - what's a sword swallower?
"Oh my God, am I here all alone?" - Looks that way, your Wife and Straight friends
ain't in on this "alternative exploration journey" Mr Jones"

Because something is happening here but you don't know what it is, do you, IORR friends* (haunting Piano Music takes over)

*MB uses friends in the most affectionate and warm hearted way possible...(in 1965 gay orgies were something that were not talked about - unless you made the story TOTALLY abstract....)

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 2, 2006 18:56

Micks Brain...do you know what a geek is? Geeks eat live chickens at carny side shows. They eat chickens, which is why the geek is handing Mr. Jones a bone. Please don't tell me you are interpreting this bone to be some gay guys dick. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, MB. I don't agree with your homoerotic interpretation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-02 19:22 by Lukester.

Date: May 2, 2006 18:59

takes one to know one, eh?

Date: May 2, 2006 19:02

my thoughts exactly

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: May 2, 2006 19:06

LOL! this thread is funny! Im not trying to gang up on the one person who has a different take on the song, but think the homo erotic interpritation is a bit of a stretch myself.

Date: May 2, 2006 19:46

T&A Wrote:
> takes one to know one, eh?

That's OK boys, I can take the cheap shots...Picture me like Batman standing there (the latest Batman costume with the nipples in the mold)

Did someone say Chicken?...Like in "Chokin' the Chicken?" hmmmmm?......

Hey, have you heard? Tommy Cruise has lost his MOJO.....(it's on CNN now -so no bullsh*t....)

The Human Enigma Machine

Date: May 2, 2006 19:48

Holy Homophobia Batman! I really dig your nipples!

Date: May 2, 2006 19:57

T & A, You had me at Hello....

BTW Best Album Ever?

Beatles - 3 way tie: SGT,PEPPER/MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR/WHITE ALBUM

Stones - 3 way tie: LET IT BLEED/YA-YA'S (or Bcool smiley/STICKY FINGERS

Dylan - DESIRE/BEST OF (vol 1)/TIME OUT OF MIND/INFIDELS(add BW Mctell)/Oh MERCY

Doors - STRANGE DAYS/WAITING FOE THE SUN

Zeppelin - PYHSICAL GRAFITTI(sp?)/HOUSES OF THE HOLY/LED ZEP II

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-02 20:18 by MicksBrain.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: May 2, 2006 20:04

Holy Homophobia Batman! great cat's name - maybe a bit long

Date: May 2, 2006 20:23

...call the cat STU......it has been answered..NEXT QUESTION

Date: May 2, 2006 21:14

MicksBrain Wrote:
> T & A, You had me at Hello....
> >
> Dylan - DESIRE/BEST OF (vol 1)/TIME OUT OF
> MIND/INFIDELS(add BW Mctell)/Oh MERCY
>
> Doors - STRANGE DAYS/WAITING FOE THE SUN
>

Not even in the ballpark on Dylan, MB. Those are all good, but HW61, BOTS, BonB, BIOBH all are far superior.

As to the Doors, WFTS is probably their worst by most fans' accounts. Debut, SD and Morrison Hotel easily their best.

Date: May 2, 2006 22:32

Well, T & A, I'm a weird Dylan fan cause even though I KNOW those 60's albums 3 or 4 one right after another is considered his peak (and it was his first peak, no doubt about that) I seem to find his writing slightly more....natural now, like he's not looking for a rhyme as much, on the later stuff (like look at the the last line of "Ballad of a Thin Man". Now, when he does that that live he's changed it to something about "First, please Telephone" instead of the Headphone line). I love songs like "Thing's Have Changed", "Mississippi (I like Sheryl Crows arrangement/tempo better) Anything on TIME OUT OF MIND or the last one (came out 9/11/2001 - spooky). "Political World", "Everything is Broken", goes on and on.Since The Doors, Zep, and Beatles only had, at the most 10 years, it's easier when there's only 5 or 6 albums.On the Doors I would say it's universal that SOFT PARADE is considered the weakest. WFTS was considered a step down from the first 2 (but I'm kinda sick of # 1 so I went with 2 and 3. Morrison Hotel and LA Woman are back up to full power.Where's Lukester, doing deep research on Ballad of a Thin Man? - lol

Date: May 2, 2006 22:47

Hey MB...no research. Those earlier words just come from years of listening. As for your Zeppelin and Stones picks, I'm with you a hundred percent. Also Dylan's newest (9/11/01),called Love and Theft, is one of my new favorites. That little baby has really grown on me. And I also prefer Sheryl Crow's version of Mississippi. I like your Beatles picks, too. I've gotta go with T&A though on the Doors picks. And for Dylan, I've got a soft spot for Blood On The Tracks. But here's the important thing, and you and T&A already know this, who gives a rat's ass what other people think? We really don't need each other to validate our opinions, although I'll admit it's always nice when we can find some common ground.

Party On!!

Posted by: madmaxx ()
Date: May 2, 2006 22:47

I would call him Riff.

Date: May 3, 2006 00:17

Yeah Lukester, I agree, forgot about BOTT for some reason. Tangled Up In Blue I can listen to that forever. Idiot Wind is so powerful. The reason I went with WFTS on the Doors is the first album is OBVIOUSLY a knock out punch with: Break on Through, Fire, The End, 20th Century, Soul Kitchen, Crystal Ship, Back Door Man,..I mean the whole album is ALMOST a greatest hits on it's own. It's definitely stronger then WFTS but I feel WFTS is slightly underrated....I'd say most people on the Doors would say #1, SD, LAW, MH, WFTS,SP - something like that. On that Dylan thing. I read that gay orgy analysis once about "Thin Man" always got a kick out of it so passed it on - have no idea in reality.

Madmaxx, RIFF sounds good, How about Riff Master....

Date: May 3, 2006 00:23

MB...I wondered if you concocted the gay orgy theory on your own or not....it's all good, my friend. Hell, who really knows besides Bobby himself?

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: May 3, 2006 00:38

The "gay theory" about "Ballad of a Thin Man" has been around for decades. I remember having discussions about it in the '60's when the song first came out ("came out", no pun intended!). In high school, it was kind of interesting to speculate that the song was about a "queer", as we said back then. Of course, we were young and just did not get the below-the-surface meaning of Dylan's music. It is kind of like the way we used to look for hidden meanings in the Beatles songs, too. But, "Thin Man" had a meaning that didn't seem so hidden, to us it seemed so obviously about homosexuality. It was only some time later that I realized that there was a richer texture to the song and Dylan most likely had other ideas in mind when he wrote it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 3, 2006 00:41

Hey DaveG, then your the man who can tell us if Paul is really dead or not

Date: May 3, 2006 00:48

was just listening to the Doors '69 Aquarius rehearsals today - some very cool stuff there...different takes on Maggie McGill, Gloria. Man, what a band...

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: May 3, 2006 00:49

Of course he is. . .Strawberry Fields clearly has the lyrics at the end "I buried Paul . . ." Some, of course, speculate, that John is saying "I'm very bored", but we all KNOW that Paul is dead. I mean, who is barefoot, out of step, and in a black suit on the cover of Abbey Road????

As to whom the ringer is who goes around as Paul McCartney today, and looks and sounds exactly like him, we're still investigating . . . .he may have come from Area 51 . . .

Date: May 3, 2006 00:53

Thanks man, what a relief ;-)

You forgot to mention the picture you only can see is back

Date: May 3, 2006 00:53

Thanks, DaveG....as I interpret the song... the circus freaks (sword swallower, geek, midget) are viewed by many in our society as the bottom feeders...low in our food chain. So for Mr. Jones to be looked down upon (referred to as a freak) by one of these outcasts is a way of illustrating exactly how low Mr. Jones must have felt. Mr. Jones was well schooled but couldn't even earn the respect of a circus freak. Dylan puts characters into his songs for a reason...just like a novelist....but I don't think he puts hidden messages into his songs...although there certainly was a frenzy to find such hidden messages in Dylan and Beatles songs... That's just my opinion.

Oh, and Lorenz, I had a housemate in college who had a cat named Balls. He was a large un-neutered male cat that marked his territory often....the bastard.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: May 3, 2006 01:30

To get back on track after all the pages of baloney...

What did you name the siamese cat?

Date: May 3, 2006 02:05

Slap some cheese and Mayo on it and Baloney ain't bad....

I think a lot of the early Dylan songs that weren't too nice (Positively 4th St, etc) were either songs to the press or friends/people that totally misunderstood him. There was this 3 minute clip once of Bobby around the Petty union tours in this backstage trailer and he was just walking around TOTALLY BITCHING about people and fans that come up to him and he goes "They think they know me, they don't know me MAN, and I don't know them. They say I wrote a song that moved them this way or that way and they don't know what they're talking about..." He was on FIRE and just bitching away as the camera was following him around this trailer...Anybody ever see that? It was on the ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE 20 YEARS OF ROCK AND ROLL TV special. So then one day I bought the Store version (not broadcast version) video and erased the broadcast one by recording something over it. I go to watch the Store bought and all that footage is gone and replaced with the up close, white face Concert clip "Tangled Up In Blue" from Renaldo and Clara. Man was I pissed that I lost that other footage - it was classic Dylan, but really harsh.....I guess on second thought the Dylan camp thought it was too out there..

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: May 3, 2006 02:29

I cant believe it! The kitty looks just like the kitten I got for my Mom last week! We named him MICK! No LIE!

Date: May 3, 2006 02:31

I know stuff about Paul and his replacement but I can't talk aboout it....

I'll just say AREA 51 is the total key in this whole thing....

Date: May 3, 2006 02:40

Area 51 ???? always tought it was Area 52

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1483
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home