Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Have the Stones ever canceled a performance in their careers?
Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: May 1, 2006 18:50

They did an entire show at Altamont but it wasn't the standard set list.If I remember correctly there was no acoustic section at all and instead they did the first time ever live version of BROWN SUGAR and some other cover with SUN SHINING or something in the title. They also did GIMME SHELTER which wasn't played at all shows. I would say the Altamont set list is a bit on the short side.

The other big cancelation was the Stones had planned to play at the LA Collusium on July 4th, 1976 to celebrate the Country's 200th birthday but for some reason it didn't happen. the planning was pretty far along since I've seen copies of a couple of the tickets. This one seems to never be mentioned - anybody have any extra info on this one?

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: May 1, 2006 19:00

They cancelled a show in Quebec City in summer of 1997 (at a horse track) as they wanted to appear in some sort of television show in NYC. They made it up with a date at the local hockey arena in Jan 98 -13,000 fans. It was a helluva show.

They were supposed to perform at the Olympic Stadium in Montreal a couple of days after the above, but this got postponed given an ice-storm! They made up for this with two dates at the Bell Centre in Jan 98- I caught both of them.

Conclusion: they seem to honor their commitments.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 1, 2006 19:00

>> Isn't it 2 recordings, with sssoul? <<

well, 2 qualifies as "at least one", right? :E
i don't know which (audience) recording i have but the quality is pretty good, all things considered.
now if the surviving Maysles brother would just do the right thing with all that footage they haven't released ...
but i digress - this thread is trying to be about something else, sorry.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 1, 2006 19:33

Montrealsuperfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> Conclusion: they seem to honor their commitments.

they do, if its logistically possible and also financially viable. Most of the 1998 cancelled shows werent selling well and when a few shows got postponed for health reasons (keith's cracked ribs and/or Mick's sore throat) the ones that couldnt be rescheduled for later in the tour because the stadiums were needed for football were just cancelled. They filled some of the gaps in the schedule created by these cancellations to reschedule some of the better selling shows.

Another one that was rescheduled around the time you're referring to was the MTV "live at the 10 Spot" show which was postponed by about a week and a half as Mick had flu.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: May 1, 2006 19:39

Come to think of it, I read once they were going to play Sun Splash in Jamaica, were billed as the Unknown Pirates, bu never took the stage...

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: May 1, 2006 19:42

Last question about Altamont, did the violence and "Brother and sisters, why are we fighting?" part happen early in the show and then they continued on? If so, did they know what happened? And would seeing Gimmie Shelter answer some of these questions?

thanks...

Posted by: mickjagger1009 ()
Date: May 1, 2006 19:50

On B2B tour they postponed Syracuse from January until Spring time because of Mick's voice. When I actually went to the show, I still don't think Mick was 100%. He wasn't singing the whole time. The screen would show his mouth covered by other shots to hide the fact that he wasn't singing. The back-up singers were covering for him along with all the other sound. People that never saw the Stones before didn't notice and thought it was a great show. I noticed and it made me sick. Did anyone else have an experience like this on that tour during the spring or any other time?

"You'll be studying history and you'll be down the gym. And I'll be down the pub, probably playing pool and drinking."

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 1, 2006 20:14

inopeng Wrote:
> Last question about Altamont, did the violence and
> "Brother and sisters, why are we fighting?"part
> happen early in the show and then they continued
> on? If so, did they know what happened? And
> would seeing Gimmie Shelter answer some of these
> questions?

If you look at the setlist I posted, you'll see that Under My Thumb and Sympathy For The Devil was restarted. This because Mick tried to calm down the wild audience.
And both of those tracks are included in the movie Gimme Shelter.
Anyway, you have to get Gimme Shelter, because it's one of the world's greatest rock-movies.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 1, 2006 20:46

>> Anyway, you have to get Gimme Shelter, because it's one of the world's greatest rock-movies. <<

i agree, especially the "anniversary edition" with the outtakes etc. it'll answer some of your questions, probably,
especially if you read the booklet that goes with it. the movie itself (like i said earlier) makes it look like they only played a few numbers -
which is ... slanderous, dammit! grr grr (but it's a 100% Necessary Movie anyway - get it.)

>> did the violence ... happen early in the show and then they continued on? If so, did they know what happened? <<

they didn't know anyone was killed, if that's what you mean (that *is* clarified in the movie).
and (just for the record) it wasn't during SFTD that Hunter was killed, it was during Under My Thumb.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-01 20:49 by with sssoul.

Posted by: MnLtMi ()
Date: May 1, 2006 20:48

Quebec City,Jan 98. Mick had no voice at all by the end of that one.B stage sound went from bad to worse and freezing rain outside after. Not The best show I ever saw them do. Nice City

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: May 1, 2006 23:04

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, great stuff.

(Gimme Shelter is a great film, IMHO, and, not just because it's The Stones). It's as much a look at what the 60's music scene here in the states was (really) like as Woodstock is. And, it's the best 'tour' film I've EVER seen.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: May 2, 2006 00:30

The ONLY problem with GIMME SHELTER is why they left out MIDNIGHT RAMBLER which was the central song of that tour. When I saw the show in LA at the Forum in 69 and Jagger was on his knees slapping the floor with this giant belt it was so ...crazy at the time.It would have been great to have STRAY CAT BLUES in there too, a VERY powerful version on that tour...Oh well, still a great film

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: May 2, 2006 02:55

Montrealsuperfan Wrote:

> They made up for this with two dates at the Bell
> Centre in Jan 98- I caught both of them.

Sorry...but there is no way you could have seen The stones shows at the Bell Centre in January 1998 because they did not happen...they were cancelled because of the ice storm and were re-schedulled in April 1998!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: May 2, 2006 11:41

Some of these 'cancelled' shows were postponed. Wembley and Cardiff 1990, San Jose 1999, Amsterdam 2003, Wembley 2003 etc were all rescheduled so they weren't cancelled.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 2, 2006 14:43

In 1998 Marseille and Lyon were cancelled
A 2nd Stade de France Show was also planned but never took place either

Posted by: Montrealsuperfan ()
Date: May 2, 2006 17:17

MnLtMi Wrote:
> Quebec City,Jan 98. Mick had no voice at all by
> the end of that one.B stage sound went from bad to
> worse and freezing rain outside after. Not The
> best show I ever saw them do. Nice City

If I remember correctly "the Last time" was a total disaster on the B stage-nothing seemed to work. However the next B stage number-"like a rolling stone" blew the crowd away. I can't remember what the third song on the B stage was.

Another highlight of this show was Lisa on Gimme Shelter (she was dressed in red form head to toe). That was worth the price of admission, which by the way was about $50!!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1154
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home