Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Paris Stade de France
Posted by: NEATHRFC ()
Date: April 27, 2006 20:11

Does anyone know of a good area too stay for concert! Nice hotel near bars perhaps where fans meet up before and after concert. Any suggestions would be of great help.

Re: Paris Stade de France
Posted by: phd ()
Date: April 27, 2006 20:34

There has already been some threads on this subject. My only advise would be not to book near the Stade de France, but downtown Paris in the " Quartier Latin", students'area which is 25 -30 mn by the subway. Nice girls, fun pubs ( british or irish).

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: April 27, 2006 21:57

Go to www.paristriptips.com for all great hotel listings and all questions answered. I don't agree fully with the Latin Quarter thing. Too touristy for me. I prefer the 7th or 6th Arr.(district) Check out that web site......(have a place in the 7th so know it very well)...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-30 16:38 by MicksBrain.

Date: April 27, 2006 22:16

Well, 7th district is an office district. Dead area, nothing to do past 7 pm. The quartier Latin is half in the 5th district and half in the 6th district.
Anyway, Micksbrain, hope we can exchange at the gigs in Paris. Meet you there.

Posted by: Jim Price ()
Date: April 27, 2006 22:18

There will be a meeting in a BAR in PARIS on FRIDAY, JUNE 2nd for all the Rolling Stones fans.

This gathering will be held by the French Stones Message Board.

STONES MUSIC, GUITARS, BEER...

We'll give you more details tomrrow or in 2 days.

Date: April 27, 2006 23:41

That's what I can say : good news. For Micksbrain, I guess it will not be in the 7th district !!!!

Date: April 28, 2006 08:25

I agree that the Quartier Latin is a nice district. Very typical with most only old parisian building. A lot of students and young people, even if it has became a very xpensive part of the city. Walking distance from Notre Dame. The only thing you have to take care is that because it's very touristic, there is a lot of bad restaurants.

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: April 28, 2006 11:28

Some Girls Bar.

Near Opçera de La Bastille.

The Place to be...

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: April 28, 2006 11:38

uh oh, now nikkibong knows where to go . . .

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 28, 2006 12:27

Jim Price Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There will be a meeting in a BAR in PARIS on
> FRIDAY, JUNE 2nd for all the Rolling Stones fans.
>
> This gathering will be held by the French Stones
> Message Board.
>
> STONES MUSIC, GUITARS, BEER...
>
> We'll give you more details tomrrow or in 2 days.

Look forward to the venue as arrive on the 2/6/06 in paris, hopefully try a few bottles of champers as well!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 28, 2006 12:47

Jim Price Wrote:
> There will be a meeting in a BAR in PARIS on
> FRIDAY, JUNE 2nd for all the Rolling Stones fans.
>

Sounds good. I would love to have a beer with you guys!
Keep me posted!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: April 28, 2006 21:10

what`s the main railwaystadion next to stade de france ? we`re staying in the suitehotel at stade de france.

thanks robert from austria

Date: April 28, 2006 21:21

People that don't really know where to go in Paris ALWAYS go to the very touristy LATIN QUARTER (5th arr/ District) with more Gyro's than Crepe's where all the other lost virgin traveler tourist go. I know, on my first trips to Paris when I didn't know any better I stayed there too. Good place to meet a lot of skanky girls with crabs and /or Vag warts. People that know stay in the 7th or 6th. That's why you don't hear about it much, cause most tourists don't know about these great places. People that know KNOW, THOSE THAT DON'T, DON'T...simple, it takes time to get past Times Square, Sunset Blvd.,and Kennsington....

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 29, 2006 13:36

There's a hotel round the corner from the stadium (an Ibis I think) but it charges double on event days.

Posted by: Cosmique ()
Date: April 30, 2006 03:36

After reading your explanations, we're looking for a hotel located in the 6th district. In your opinion, is it better to stay near Saint-Germain-des-Prés subway or Montparnasse-Bienvenue subway?

Date: April 30, 2006 11:08

Both are either convenient. Now, Saint-Germain is the historic center with nice restaurants, pubs. Life is there. If I were you would locate there.

Posted by: Jim Price ()
Date: April 30, 2006 12:04

Well, from Montparnasse-Bienvenue,there is a DIRECT UNDERGROUND LINE to the Stade de France.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-30 12:05 by Jim Price.

Date: April 30, 2006 12:54

This is the link for an interactive map of Paris subway and RER (RER is a kind of mix between train and subway). It's very simple to reach the stadium both from Montparnasse or St Germain.

English [www.ratp.info] English

Dutch [www.ratp.info]

German [www.ratp.info]

French [www.ratp.info]

The general link for Paris public transportations is here [www.ratp.info]

Date: April 30, 2006 16:35

phd Wrote:
> Both are either convenient. Now, Saint-Germain is
> the historic center with nice restaurants, pubs.
> Life is there. If I were you would locate there.

There's only one problem....there's no such thing as a PUB in France or Paris (PUB, ahh that would be London) - there's BARS...but Bars aren't Pubs.... This is "British Speak" so phd is most likely a transplant from the UK. Another thing - to call Saint - Germain the historical center is again inaccurate. Almost ALL of Paris is a "Historical Center" in one way or another. But like all UNDER INFORMED TOURISTS that don't know any better "The Latin Quarter" is the big mantra of every goofball backpacker with a total of 20 EUROs in there pocket that never bother to do ANY research what-so-ever before hitting the road. Is the Latin Quarter a place to avoid? No, it's a place to VISIT. For those that stay there overnight there's plenty of over priced, mediocre Tourist trap filled Restaurants, Greek Food Gyro fast food places (There's even the French Chain PINO PIZZA !!! - you KNOW you're in a top tourist spot when you see Pino PIzza), and one or 2 back alley true cafes/bistros/restaurants somewhere in the out of the way low lit streets where the real locals eat. Funny how phd calls the 7th all office buildings with nothing open after 7 because when Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie moved to Paris a few months ago they zoomed right over to the 7th for an apartment. I'm sure they have a bit more cash and contacts then phd. But I want phd to keep believing that the 7th is dead cause I don't want my neighborhood to become the next Latin Quarter(there's people at Stones shows that go huh? when a "SWAY" or "MOONLIGHT MILE" is played and jump up and down when JJF and Start Me Up gets played. That's like phd's knowledge of Paris - only knows the warhorses/hits). If places close down at 7 I must be living in some kind of LSD space-out zone cause that's when I start getting ready to go and can walk to at least 40 restaurants from my place. A few stay open till about 1:30 to 2 am.Not dead, just calm and non - touristy.No Mcdonalds, No Pino Pizzas.As far as the Metro the line through my neighbourhood is the #8 line.You can take that to INVALIDES and switch lines (to #13 which will take you straight to the Stade. Switching is NOTHING - the metro is TOALLY set up for that.) If you're on a budget I recommend HOTEL DU CHAMP DE MARS or HOTEL GRAND LEVEQUE- 80 EUROS per night per room for 2. For good info on the 6th go to www.ParisTripTips.com for all hotel info and restaurants. Also www.TripAdvisor.com is GREAT for total research on hotels. If you want to get a taste of what the VERY charming 7th is like check out www.ruecler.com. So if you want more real information leave your questions here for me...or for phd for superficial information....no offense phd but your comments show me how your info lacks depth - well, you have OK info for all the tourist sheep. Oh, also check out www.ricksteves.com and be sure to check out my 2 hotels on Trip Advisors to see what they have to say.Don't stay by the Stade - that area is A DUMP !!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-30 16:53 by MicksBrain.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 30, 2006 16:37

phd Wrote:
> Both are either convenient. Now, Saint-Germain is
> the historic center with nice restaurants, pubs.
> Life is there. If I were you would locate there.

Nothin wrong with Montparnasse either.
It all depends if you want a more calm environment (Montp)
or more action (StG).
Just as long as you rememebr to visit Brasserie Lipp. In StG.

Date: April 30, 2006 17:29

Mickbrain,

I ain't a transplant from UK, though I take that as a compliment, but unfortunately a pure parisian from some decades. I would be glad to exchange about Paris. I think that the oldest parts of Paris are in the Quartier Latin : " Arenes de Lutèce", " Thermes de Cluny". The 7th district is beautiful, OK. It's almost a residential area with Ambassies, Governemental bodies buildings. Dead after working hours. I just live in Montparnasse, near the "Luxembourg"as I do not have as much money as you or Brad Pitt. Pleasure to meet you at the meeting bar, if a non-7th resident is allowed !!!

Posted by: Cosmique ()
Date: April 30, 2006 18:27

Take it easy, guys! smiling smiley

You have a point in common, both of you suggested the 6th district.

To show that all the info written under this thread is useful, I explain you that we've booked a hotel near Saint-Germain subway and that it's one of the listed at www.paristriptips.com. And we've also learned how to get to the stadium.

I'm sure other fans appreciate your help too.

THANK YOU!!

Date: April 30, 2006 21:54

The thing is SOME people call the 7th a snob area. I also live in Los Angeles and I know what a true snob area is, it's called BEVERLY HILLS - can't STAND IT. The area in the 7th is nothing like that. It's elegant but very low key. But the French in general are very low key - they don't really show their wealth off If you're a French Mec phd than my apologies (just kidding about mec, I mean guy - but it's almost the same thing as I understand).I've been going to Paris for over 25 years and I started thinking - on early trips - I had to stay by all the big tourist areas. The metro is SO good you can stay anywhere.The big tourist areas always have all these restaurants next to each other with high prices and not the greatest food (plus this is where all the "rude waiter" stories come from cause these places are low in atmosphere and just places to suck in tourist and their EURO's. The food places around my area have the greatest people working at them - no rude service).Well, I won't keep repeating myself but the 6th or 7th is the way to go IMO (BASTILLE - and the 11th district - is also a cool little area). Sorry phd, but I love my neighbour hood so, you know... Check out www.ruecler.com

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: May 1, 2006 02:02

I changed my booking and I booked a hotel in Montparnasse near the "Luxembourg".

Good connection with Air France Bus from airport. Or by train.

Metro nearby...

Date: May 1, 2006 12:54

Just a few adds. I agree that the subway is very good, with stations everywhere, and pretty cheap too compared with other European cities. But keep in mind that it's closed at night from about 12:30 or 1:00 am to 5:30 or 6:00 (don't know exactly).

And for mariannerl, take care with Air France bus. the problem is that they always annouce the same time from airport to city center, whatever the traffic is. Or obviously the trip will be much much longer at 8:00 am or 5:00 pm, in full traffic jam. I mean, it can be 30 or 40 minutes (which is what the sign tell you), but it also can be 2 hours. So take care if you plan to take this bus from city to Airport, you could miss your flight.

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: May 1, 2006 13:19

Jumpinjackflash59 Wrote:
> Just a few adds. I agree that the subway is very
> good, with stations everywhere, and pretty cheap
> too compared with other European cities. But keep
> in mind that it's closed at night from about 12:30
> or 1:00 am to 5:30 or 6:00 (don't know exactly).
>
> And for mariannerl, take care with Air France bus.
> the problem is that they always annouce the same
> time from airport to city center, whatever the
> traffic is. Or obviously the trip will be much
> much longer at 8:00 am or 5:00 pm, in full traffic
> jam. I mean, it can be 30 or 40 minutes (which is
> what the sign tell you), but it also can be 2
> hours. So take care if you plan to take this bus
> from city to Airport, you could miss your flight.

Thank you. I guess the train will be a better option. If there is no strike like last year at this time.

Date: May 1, 2006 17:25

MicksBrain Wrote:
> Sorry phd, but I love my neighbour
> hood so, you know...

Me too...See you at SdF I and II

Date: May 1, 2006 19:14

....and then we'll have drinks at LE CAFE DU MARCHE in the 7th - I'll get you a temporary pass for permission to enter the 7th (good for 24 hours) - just a "joke petite" of course.....

Date: May 1, 2006 19:44

OK. Great.

Date: May 2, 2006 00:38

It's a deal phd (but I don't know EXACTLY when I'll be there yet. Having A LOT of trouble getting seats on Air France because I have Frequent Flyer miles with Delta (who is a partner of AF) and Delta is in VERY big financial trouble right now - I'll let you know) When oil prices go up, my luck goes down...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1294
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home