Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Free Wheelin' Bob Dylan
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 26, 2006 19:40

I'm not a HUGE Dylan fan, but I revisited this album last night and once again, it struck me how brilliant it is. I especially love Don't Think Twice, It's Alright. It's an album full of wonderful acoustic playing, fantastic lyricism and humour.

Re: OT: The Free Wheelin' Bob Dylan
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 26, 2006 20:06

No argument here Big Al. Dylan's 60's canon is amongst the best anyone, inlcuding the Stones, put out at that time. Revolutionary is not an overstatement.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: April 26, 2006 20:19

some awesome tunage on this disc by the master : "Blowin' In the Wind", "Girl From The North Country", "Masters Of War", "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall", ""Don't Think Twice, It's All Right", etc.............how many songwriters would love to come up with just one tune of this caliber

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: April 26, 2006 20:25

absolutely...even Dylan has said he was possessed with a song writing gift during that album and others in the 1960's that is forever gone. I like to disagree with him on the forever part, but he acknowledges the pure magic that came from his creative fountain on that album.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 26, 2006 20:33

Quite interesting that the outtake bootleg from those sessions (even after the official "bootleg series"-release) is incredible!

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: April 26, 2006 20:38

This was one of the first dylan albums i bought, and it was great. Hard Rains gonna fall is one of my favorite dylan numbers, whenever I hear it, it never fails to send a shiver down my spine. His singing on it sounds desperate,and the message is very profound. As for the rest of the album, there are great gems in here. Masters of War is very good, if a bit harsh at the end (even dylan has admitted this), and as noted by ALO in the bootleg series Vol 7, sadly still relevant today. Definetly one of dylans better albums.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 26, 2006 20:44

Hard Rain's always been in the top 5 of Bob's for me - just did it the other night in Memphis - a 2006 first.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 26, 2006 23:09

Big Al Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not a HUGE Dylan fan, but I revisited this
> album last night and once again, it struck me how
> brilliant it is. I especially love Don't Think
> Twice, It's Alright. It's an album full of
> wonderful acoustic playing, fantastic lyricism and
> humour.

whats most chilling when you listen to that album is that he was only 21 when he recorded it, and had only started writing his own stuff about a year earlier, having generally just done covers up to that point

A quantum leap so great that it almost appears to suggest a Robert Johnson-like 'crossroads' transformation.

Date: April 26, 2006 23:46

That's the "gift" I was trying to decribe earlier....thanks for articulating the enormity of the situation so well, Gazza...

remember the interview with Ed Bradley on 60 Minutes?....Bob describes how he had accepted his "destiny" at that early age....he already knew he was going to be one of the world's best songwriters and humbly accepted it.

Date: April 27, 2006 00:23

LOL..I like your use of the word "humbly"

Date: April 27, 2006 00:31

I was hoping you'd catch the irony

Date: April 27, 2006 00:38

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> some awesome tunage on this disc by the master :
> "Blowin' In the Wind", "Girl From The North
> Country", "Masters Of War", "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna
> Fall", ""Don't Think Twice, It's All Right",
> etc.............how many songwriters would love to
> come up with just one tune of this caliber

yep..the thing is though that a lot of my favourites on that album are the songs that are somewhat overlooked while people talk about the songs that are justifiably regarded as classics.

I think "Bob Dylan's Dream" is a fantastic song that deserves to be better known. remember seeing him play it in belfast in '91 and my jaw almost hit the floor when I recognised what it was. I dont think he'd played it since about 1963 until that mini tour.

When I was in NYC for the Stones shows in January, I had to take myself on a little Dylan tour of the Village (other people go to the Empire State Building or the Statue of Liberty. Pah! I go to Bob Dylan's old haunts instead). Jones Street (between West 4th and Bleecker) where that album cover is taken has changed a lot since that photo

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: April 27, 2006 00:46

Gazza Wrote:
> Leonard Keringer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > some awesome tunage on this disc by the master
> :
> > "Blowin' In the Wind", "Girl From The North
> > Country", "Masters Of War", "A Hard Rain's
> A-Gonna
> > Fall", ""Don't Think Twice, It's All Right",
> > etc.............how many songwriters would love
> to
> > come up with just one tune of this caliber
>
>
> yep..the thing is though that a lot of my
> favourites on that album are the songs that are
> somewhat overlooked while people talk about the
> songs that are justifiably regarded as classics.
>
> I think "Bob Dylan's Dream" is a fantastic song
> that deserves to be better known. remember seeing
> him play it in belfast in '91 and my jaw almost
> hit the floor when I recognised what it was. I
> dont think he'd played it since about 1963 until
> that mini tour.
> "BOB DYLAN'S DREAM" IS A BEAUTIFUL TUNE.....HIS LYRICS WERE WISE BEYOND HIS YEARS
> When I was in NYC for the Stones shows in January,
> I had to take myself on a little Dylan tour of the
> Village (other people go to the Empire State
> Building or the Statue of Liberty. Pah! I go to
> Bob Dylan's old haunts instead). Jones Street
> (between West 4th and Bleecker) where that album
> cover is taken has changed a lot since that photo

THE DYLAN TOUR....THAT'S THE WAY TO DO IT....OFF THE BEATEN PATH

Date: April 27, 2006 00:50

Hey Gazza, I once worked with a man who had been a neighbor of Bob's on Bleeker Street back in the day....said he would talk to him while doing laundry and stuff like that....Of course, my coworker had no clue his neighbor would one day be so popular.

It just came up in conversation too...by the snack bar...he overheard me talking to a coworker about Bob and he said, "Are you talking about Bob Dylan that used to live in Greenwich Village?" and me and the coworker kind of looked at him suspiciously and said, "uh yeah, that Bob Dylan." Then the guy tells us all about his encounters with the young Bob...funny stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-27 02:35 by Lukester.

Date: April 27, 2006 00:54

if you ever do it, you might find this link useful

[www.wists.com]

I used another, similar site that i found when trawling through the varius Dylan sites, but I cant find the link at present

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2046
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home