Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Prince vs the Stones
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: April 21, 2006 01:49

I have 52 albums.I don't know maybe the 15 come from Stones and the next artist is Prince with 5 albums.But even if I like a lot some of his stuff I can't see how a crappy album like 3121 gonna be such a big hit.I mean it's gonna sale way more than ABB and critics love it.Anyone who have heard that album?A reason why ABB wasn't selected from the most of critics to the top 10 albums of 2005?

Re: Prince vs the Stones
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 21, 2006 01:58

Such selection are very trend sensitive imho.
Stones may be much; but they sure aint trendy.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 21, 2006 06:36

I'm not a huge prince fan, but I've been to a few shows. One thing I can tell you is that his fan club definitely gets good seats. I may join just to go to one show.

Posted by: Rock'NRollAngel ()
Date: April 21, 2006 06:39

drbryant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm not a huge prince fan, but I've been to a few
> shows. One thing I can tell you is that his fan
> club definitely gets good seats. I may join just
> to go to one show.

And to hear him do "Darling Nikki"! God! That is a great song. I just posted this on another thread...but FOOFIGHTERS do an excellent cover of this song as well...they rock. Prince is a great performer. Very much a showman.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: April 21, 2006 06:44

Prince is one talented mofo...

He's a bit of a media whore, but in a different vein than Madonna.

That Musicology album was great. Haven't heard his new one at all. Gonna go listen to the bassless wonder "When Doves Cry" right now.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: April 21, 2006 08:32

The new Prince may - may - outsell ABB, given its first 2 weeks' chart positions, but that's after many weak selling albums post '80s, including "Come," "Diamonds & Pearls", "Emancipation," and others (some of which I like)

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 21, 2006 11:39

Prince is one killer lead guitarist. absolutely killer.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 21, 2006 11:48

I like 3121. Especially because there's a track on it revisiting his genius of the 80s (Fury). But also the other songs rank from good to excellent. Which can not be said about Musicology. That one had a great first single, but the album is way too boring for an artist like Prince.

But hell... even if he only releases shite albums these days: just check his shows out...

But 3121: I like.

Date: April 21, 2006 11:50

For me Madonna, and for that matter, the Sounds are
way way more progressive and developers of rock music
than the Symbol. What has he ever come up with first??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-21 13:50 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: April 21, 2006 11:57

I'm in the lucky position that I'm a Prince fan too right after the Stones, next to some 500 Stones albums I also own about 150 Prince albums.
3121 is a good album, I don't agree with the critics though who stated
that he 'returned' after some vage jazz experiments, he just likes to vary a lot

Anyone have the boot from '86 with Ronnie plays as guest with prince doing Miss You? It's worth downloading it

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 21, 2006 12:07

Q magazine Oct 1988...Adrian Deevoy

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Doolittle ()
Date: April 21, 2006 12:52

I was pleased & surprised to see this thread. I'm new to this forum, but I've been a huge Prince fan for years & a member of the 'Housequake' Prince forum for years. The guy is a genius & even though he left the 'limelight' for several years, this was HIS decision. Pioneering (yet again) the then new concept of releasing his work directly to the fans via the internet. He has released numerous download only albums over the last few years. So, basically- he does what he wants as an 'artist'. With 'Musicology' & '3121' he is again aiming these releases at the mainstream. There is no 'comeback', as he never went away. Personally I didn't like 'Musicology' very much, but IMO '3121' is much better. You can't compare Prince with the Stones. They are complete opposites. With the Stones it's 'Only Rock & Roll'- but I still like it!

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: April 21, 2006 13:01

I kinda like 3121, especially the last song on it, a great funk song, featuring Maceo Parker on sax. The album is not spectacular, but be honest: Prince tries to sound up to date, mixing a lot of r 'n b grooves in his songs. Plus he fact Prince doesn't look that old, had a hit just two years back (Musicology, great song). He's an American music icon, but I doubt the album will stay in the charts for long. Europe might be more sceptical.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 21, 2006 13:32

Rockman Wrote:
> [i9.photobucket.com]
> IMMERBOY%202/PRINCE2.jpg
> Q magazine Oct 1988...Adrian Deevoy

hey rock!
yeah i've read that quote from years ago...
hey, do you think there's any chance at all that Keith kinda resented that Prince was so Kingly and strong and got so much attention when he opened for them?
maybe not...stones have had killer opening bands like ike & tina, g&r in their prime, tons of first class acts...

i get the feeling, with all that 'midget' stuff...
keith is feeling a little hostile toward the magnificent Prince...
who plays lead guitar more powerfully than at least one of the current stones...
uh oh, here we go.,...

wow that's like a dwarf calling a midget short.
think ANY possibility that little keithie was a knocked a bit off balance by Prince's power...
and his hold on the crowds... am i totally off base here?

Date: April 21, 2006 13:52

It may be easier for those who jumped on the Prince train after 84.
The man was so boosted & hyped one could hardly breath.
I'm open to change my mind - give me a clue what to check up
& listen after 84-85; heard too much of the early stuff... Seen him on tv-shows
etc... Didnt convince me then. But; as I just said - I may reconsider.
Links? Albums?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-21 14:00 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: shedooby ()
Date: April 21, 2006 13:57

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> It may be easier for those who junped on the
> Prince train after 84.
> The man was so boosted & hyped one could hardly
> breath.
> I'm open to change my mind - give me a clue what
> to check up
> & listen after 84-85; heard too much of the early
> stuff... Seen him on tv-shows
> etc... Didnt convince me then. But; as I just said
> - I may reconsider.
> Links? Albums?

Try some of the live SBD's on dimeadozen, especially the aftershows, man that rocks, funks and grooves all together, always had great line ups too

Date: April 21, 2006 14:01

A snippet at Trade side? Use "my" thread
in order to avoid new threads?

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 21, 2006 14:07

Loved my Black Album low quality tape but went off the man when I heard the official version. Have a couple of his albums but haven't strayed from the 80s stuff. Don't forget Ronnie played Miss You with him once.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 21, 2006 14:26

After '84? Well "Sign of the Times" of Course.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: April 21, 2006 15:13

Wasn't he support act during the 1981 leg of the US tour? I remember reading that once, and he was not accepted at all by the audience.
I think he is live a great act, saw him twice in concert, lots of energy, great songs, great show. Haven't heard his last album though.

Sjouke

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: April 21, 2006 18:41

Cool to see that so many of you Stones fans are into Prince! He's heaven on guitar. He's new album is really great... The DVD "Prince Live At The Aladdin Las Vegas Is fantasticsmiling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 21, 2006 19:06

Always been a Prince fan - especially that great run of albums from Parade, through Sign O'The Times (his highpoint), the Black album and Lovesexy.

The band he had then was incredible too. I'll have to dig that 'Lovesexy' show from Dortmund '88 out again and watch it. What a jawdropping show that was.

The post 1990 stuff is a bit hit and miss but I like The Gold Experience and Emancipation a lot. The latter one is pretty impressive for what is a 3-CD 3 hour long album!

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: April 21, 2006 20:28

Haven't seen the Lovesexy show, but I saw it in a store yesterday so I'm buying it smiling smiley Anyway another good studio record is his album from'96 Chaos And Disorder - a really good rock'n roller!

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: April 21, 2006 21:51

Prince who?

Date: April 21, 2006 22:00

I do like Prince & have almost all his albums thru the one before Musicology, the one with the Miles Davis (circa '73) cover - problem is he's very talented, but VERY self indulgent, on record at least where he gets to explore his 'concepts' & basically jerk off on guitar (Purple Rain has some of the worst & most dated startripping crap imo - Dirty Mind, a sleek 30 minutes, holds up better)in a way Alvin Lee himself would likely not get away with and Freddie Stone would not be so tasteless to attempt... So again some of my fave Prince is the 'minor' stuff, DM, Diamonds & Pearls (contract fulfillmet for Warners)....

Date: April 21, 2006 22:42

Sorry I meant NOT Diamonds & Pearls ("contract fulfillment...") but Chaos & Disorder, and I like it - C & D, I mean.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 21, 2006 23:10

S.T.P Wrote:
> Haven't seen the Lovesexy show, but I saw it in a
> store yesterday so I'm buying it smiling smiley

Cool. make sure you have a box of tissues by your side when doing so. And I dont mean because it'll make you cry or anything.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 22, 2006 00:52

So much of Prince's stuff is supreme -- whether the detours/risks/self-indulgence always works is another question,but,at the very least,he's made more than his fair share of top-notch albums.

'HouseQuake',like another poster mentioned,is a goldmine of information & has a wicked Video-Forum,although I received a few warnings for requesting bootlegs^^ Hmm,learned a lesson there..^

Not as enamoured at all actually with 3121 as a lot of fans are. It's competent,Prince is always at the very least competent,but,it lacks the fire & sparkling creative energy of even latter-period gems such as 'Rainbow Children' and the wonderful 'Emanicpation'. 'Emancipation',like '95's 'Gold Experience' and arguably '94's 'Come' are excellent albums,and perhaps in a minority here,but,I loved 'Ranbow Children','NEWS' and the online-only records.

The hype for 3121,just as with 'Musicology',has been huge,but,then that's what backing from a major record label again will get you.

A huge talent,Prince never fails to amaze...

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: April 22, 2006 00:54

So much of Prince's stuff is supreme -- whether the detours/risks/self-indulgence always works is another question,but,at the very least,he's made more than his fair share of top-notch albums.

'HouseQuake',like another poster mentioned,is a goldmine of information & has a wicked Video-Forum,although I received a few warnings for requesting bootlegs^^ Hmm,learned a lesson there..^

Not as enamoured at all actually with 3121 as a lot of fans are. It's competent,Prince is always at the very least competent,but,it lacks the fire & sparkling creative energy of even latter-period gems such as 'Rainbow Children' and the wonderful 'Emanicpation'. 'Emancipation',like '95's 'Gold Experience' and arguably '94's 'Come' are excellent albums,and perhaps in a minority here,but,I loved 'Ranbow Children','NEWS' and the online-only records.

The hype for 3121,just as with 'Musicology',has been huge,but,then that's what backing from a major record label again will get you.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: April 22, 2006 16:30

Wasn't Keith who intorduced Prince in rock'n'roll hall of fame?How he could say these things which maybe are right?

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1464
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home