Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
FIFA ranking: USA #4 !!!!!!!!
Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: April 20, 2006 21:47

Hey you Europeans Footballers...

#1 - Brazil #2 - Czech's (who we play in the 1st round)
#3 - Netherlands #4 - USA!!!!!!

Where's England, Italy, Mexico ?????

World Cup here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MLC in Los Angeles injecting "roids" into my team...

Re: FIFA ranking: USA #4 !!!!!!!!
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 20, 2006 21:52

Mike, still enjoying the great boots. As good as they are the 1st time, they get better with age. Thanks! I shared them with kienan and he dug 'em too.

P. S. What does your posting name mean? I thought a Roman numeral, but I see it's not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-20 21:55 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: April 20, 2006 21:54

Sounds like one of those idiotic lists from Q mag.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 20, 2006 21:56

So thereĀ“s no problem for the USA to
reach the semi finals...;-)

Posted by: Treesnake2000 ()
Date: April 20, 2006 21:56

FIFA rankings are based in large part on how well a team plays against countries in its regional federation (as well as on performance in the preceding World Cup). The U.S. plays against a lot of sub-par opposition in CONCACAF, and their ranking is consequently inflated.

FIFA rankings mean nothing, and if you think that this means the U.S. will be favored over Italy in World Cup group play this summer, you are gravely mistaken. If both the U.S. and the Czech Republic are better than Italy, then why was Italy the top seed in a group including all three teams?

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: April 20, 2006 22:00

Like I said, it's one of THOSE lists.

Date: April 20, 2006 22:03

Elmo - Glad you like the music... my "handle" was a combo of my families
initials: wife is DD, daughter is TLC...

Snake,Tough - Just having a little fun..

I fully agree our backs are against the wall against the Czech's & Italy...
just pulling for my team and hoping for the best..

MLC

Date: April 20, 2006 22:15

Cool! Keep in touch. Loved "I Shot The Sheriff" among many.

Date: April 20, 2006 22:51

Elmo - Yeah

One of Eric's better moments...

What did you think of Peter Green's style??

MLC

Posted by: salar ()
Date: April 21, 2006 15:06

the FIFA ranking list is almost not understandebale and even the experts say that it has got nothing to do with reality cause the ranking standards are ridicilous.....it is not real crap....but it almost is.
Well..at least there is no doubt about the nr.1 team in the world...even the ranking list could not avoid brasil being the best.

cu during the championchips.
salar

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 21, 2006 15:13

What's the word over in Europe? Is Brazil going to take it again? What is the German team like nowadays? Who is coaching?

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: April 21, 2006 15:15

I would go for Brazil again, perhaps Argentina or Italy. The German team is not top this time, but they always will get far. Holland (?) hopefully... Switzerland... if you by a LCD TV now at a certain retailer and they reach the quarters you get your money back :-)

Sjouke

Date: April 21, 2006 15:24

Peter Green = nice guitar work. Super tone. Hate his problems messed him up.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 21, 2006 15:26

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the word over in Europe? Is Brazil going to
> take it again? What is the German team like
> nowadays? Who is coaching?

There arent really any outstanding teams at the minute.

Brazil would be deserved favourites, but traditionally a World Cup held in Europe tends to be won by a European team. However, they have Ronaldinho, who is pretty unstoppable at the minute and head and shoulders better than any player on the planet.

Mexico and Argentina are good sides, but I'd give each a better chance had the finals been held nearer to home.

Germany have one of the worst teams that I can ever remember them having, but with home advantage they'll probably do reasonably - but I cant see them being anywhere near good enough to win it.

France cant be as bad as they were last time and should do well. Likewise with Italy. Holland are always an exciting side to watch but tend to be let down by poor internal discipline and tend to underperform. Spain are long overdue a top performance in a major tournament. Portugal are a good side, but past their best. Nobody ever expects the Czechs to win anything but if they get through their group, they'll be a hard side for anyone to beat.

Which leaves England out of the main European challengers. Plenty of excellent individual players (Rooney especially) and a first choice eleven which could compete with anyone. A lot depends on whether Michael Owen will be fit in time or not. They have players capable of winning it, but I'm not sure if they have a coach capable of bringing the best out of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-21 15:27 by Gazza.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: April 21, 2006 15:27

I agree with Sjouke: the safe bet would be Brazil by far. Then Italy and Argentina perhaps. Those damn italians would be far as always! smiling smiley England can do a good job this time, but I don't see Germany nor France doing a great performance. Spain will be beaten at quarter finals as always, if we manage to get there...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: April 21, 2006 15:30

Treesnake2000 Wrote:
> FIFA rankings mean nothing, and if you think that
> this means the U.S. will be favored over Italy in
> World Cup group play this summer, you are gravely
> mistaken. If both the U.S. and the Czech Republic
> are better than Italy, then why was Italy the top
> seed in a group including all three teams?

Seeding doesnt go by FIFA rankings, but by past achievements in major tournaments.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 21, 2006 15:34

Treesnake2000 Wrote:
The U.S. plays against a
> lot of sub-par opposition in CONCACAF, and their
> ranking is consequently inflated.
>

Yes, as European teams play against Andorra, San Marino, Feroe and such..

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 21, 2006 15:49

Sjouke Wrote:
> Switzerland... if you by a LCD TV now at a certain
> retailer and they reach the quarters you get your
> money back :-)
>
> Sjouke

What a great support for their team^^
They're betting on "you won't get anywhere, Swiss Team"
geez

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: April 21, 2006 16:01

Gazza Wrote:
. Holland are
> always an exciting side to watch but tend to be
> let down by poor internal discipline and tend to
> underperform.

The interesting thing about the dutch team is that van Basten has managed to put an end to all the internal division, tensions, etc. by running a strict regime and by building a team of loyal and silent hard workers (very contrary to the stellar and and at times capricious player he was himself). For example he left aside controversial players like Kluivert and Davids, and passed over van Bommel for a few matches for not executing his tasks the way he was told to. Of course it helps he's sort of a hero for the younger generation: he gets away with it. If we don't manage to live up to the expectation in next Worldcup it will probably be because of lack of experience (lots of young players, even a player with not a single cap in the national team appears on the selection made public today) and a lack of character players.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 21, 2006 16:03

I am a huge Soccer fan and grew up with it. Italy, Germany, Holland etc. Now live in the USA and it is hard to keep up with it. Just via the net.
And soccer in USA is not good. No matter what they say - it is negligible. The Woman's team gets much more support than the guys. And there is something missing in the way the Americans play the game; I can't quite describe it but it has to do with the fact that you don't see kids on every corner playing the game. Brazilinas kind of carress the ball; Americans just seem to want to get rid of it as quickly as possible.
It's like the difference between Jazz/Funk and Pop/Heavy Metal. the funksters can't wait for the beat to come around. That is why they are always alomst ahead of the One. But white Metal tends to drag behind the beat. You watch those Metal drummers - their snare hits are so late.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 21, 2006 16:29

What I see is that Italy has a very tough 1st round, and that if they do not qualify at the first place, they will have to face Brazil at the first game of the second round.

Unfortunately also Ghana will have a very tough life (it is in the same round with Italy): they are a very very strong side!

C

Date: April 21, 2006 17:55

Gazza Wrote:
> Seeding doesnt go by FIFA rankings, but by past
> achievements in major tournaments.

Actually, you're wrong: seeding took into account performance in the last two World Cups, AS WELL AS world ranking positions for year end 2003, 2004 and as of on November 23, 2005.

But my point is simply that the rankings themselves are flawed, perhaps especially in the case of the United States, because of the weight given to confederation play. CONCACAF is always a cakewalk for the U.S., because it's a weak confederation. Seriously, take a look at the list of teams in CONCACAF here and then come tell me that it's at all comparable to having Andorra, San Marino, and the Faroe Islands in UEFA. [This last point was for leteyer.]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-21 18:01 by Treesnake2000.

Date: April 21, 2006 18:00

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
> I am a huge Soccer fan and grew up with it. Italy,
> Germany, Holland etc. Now live in the USA and it
> is hard to keep up with it. Just via the net.

May I recommend Fox Soccer Channel and Gol TV (both availale on many digital cable systems)? They're how I get my fix of Premier League, Liga, Bundesliga, Brazilian, and Argentine soccer (not to mention other countries). No Eredivisie, though, except for highlights.

Having grown up in Italy, I also subscribe to RAI International, and can watch four Serie A matches most weekends, but that's overkill for most (Serie A matches are also shown on Fox Soccer Channel and Gol TV, though fewer of them).

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 21, 2006 18:03

i didn't even realise the yanks had made it to the world cup!

you live and learn as they say

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 21, 2006 18:35

Treesnake2000 Wrote:

> CONCACAF is always a
> cakewalk for the U.S., because it's a weak
> confederation. Seriously, take a look at the list
> of teams in CONCACAF here and then come tell me
> that it's at all comparable to having Andorra, San
> Marino, and the Faroe Islands in UEFA.

The point I was trying to make is that there's no such thing as a CAKEWALK...The USA and Mexico don't even play against those teams in the first rounds..And if you follow the USA a little bit you must know how hard it is to win in places like El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and Costa Rica. They surely are no Iceland or Luxembourg. Sure on paper Israel shouldn't have beaten France in '94 to keep 'em from attending the WC, or Korea finnisishing 4th last time.

Well, I think that italians should be very worry about playing the USA, as Spain playing Tunisia and other powerhouses must take their play very seriously.....Hope Germany isn't thinking that they've already beaten Costa Rica..

Date: April 21, 2006 18:41

Treesnake2000 Wrote:
> Gazza Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Seeding doesnt go by FIFA rankings, but by past
> > achievements in major tournaments.
>
> Actually, you're wrong: seeding took into account
> performance in the last two World Cups, AS WELL AS
> world ranking positions for year end 2003, 2004
> and as of on November 23, 2005.
>
Ok, we were both half right winking smiley

Dont they take into account previous performances in major tournaments such as the Euro championships as well though?

Date: April 21, 2006 18:45

Leteyer - You sure sound like you know what your talking about...

Can't wait for the tournament to start....

MLC

Date: April 21, 2006 18:46

Oh, please don't remind me anything about Korea's 4th position last World Cup... Spain did suffer against them one of the most annoying robberies of a game ever because of that @#$%& egyptian side line referee! (don't know the @#$%& name in english).

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 21, 2006 18:47

Yes they do Gaz. Take a penalty shoot-out for example. If they keep on being tied in a shootout they stop and look at previous results in major tournaments (As far as I know the former tournament they where in - Like if we say England it would be how good they did in Euro 2004). If they are still equal at this point they flip a coin. Some FIFA expert once explained this on a Danish TV show called "Pure Football Talk".

JumpingKentFlash

Date: April 21, 2006 19:00

But that would be if the tie remains after about a hundred penalty shoots, innit?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1370
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home