Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Melbourne Review
Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: April 19, 2006 12:15

I just wanted to add some of my thoughts about the Melbourne show.

It was my 20th Stones gig - I've seen them all over the world since 1995, including 11 shows in Australia, and I have to say this gig ranks as possibly the best I've ever seen. The only one that might beat it would be the Enmore Theatre gig where they opened with Midnight Rambler. The setlist was fantastic - to hear Sway played live was a dream come true, and it was also great to see them play Worried About You and Ain't to Proud to Beg. Perhaps the only other gig that I've seen with such an interesting setlist would be Oakland 2002 (where they played Loving Cup and Ain't too Proud to Beg).

Other interesting points to note:

* Keith played his new big white Gibson for the first 4 songs of the set. I don't think I've ever seen him play the same instrument for so many consecutive songs....usually he swaps to a new guitar after the first or second song;

* For Sway, Keith played his specially made Ted Newman 5 string guitar - surely this is the first time he's played this guitar on stage since 1975??? I was very excited to see him play this guitar live.

* The band were loose and clearly enjoying themselves. Keith was clearly in control on this gig - I don't think I've ever seen him so focussed and so in command of the band as he was at this show. He was absolutely ON. His control over the band reminded me of his playing on the Expensive Winos live DVD - really loose and raw, and completely at the top of his game. I really hope he keeps this level of focus up - when Keith is in control, nobody can touch him.

* The sound was good - I was on the floor, 7th row, Keith's side. Very very loud, though. I like the guitars to be high in the mix, and they were great, but often it was difficult to hear Mick's vocals, and I barely heard the backing songers. The sound was actually the loudest I've ever experienced at any gig by any band - but this is probably due to the fact that I was standing directly below the speakers.

* There was some problem with the sound on-stage - during "Worried About you", Mick kept looking back at Keith and Charlie with a strange look on his face, as if something was wrong - but Keith was playing absolutely perfectly, as was Charlie. I'm not sure that Mick could properly hear Keith and Charlie. This problem seems to have reared its head again during Brown Sugar, when Mick starting singing about 16 bars too late - the entire first verse and chorus of Brown Sugar was therefore a complete shambles.

* Ronnie's playing was adequate. He managed not to mess up any solos, and generally played each solo in the correct key (although the Tumbling Dice solo was a travesty) but, really, lets be honest, he's not doing anything particularly special. For $400 a ticket, I expect that Ronnie should give 100%, like Mick, Keith and Charlie do. I think it is the height of arrogance for Ronnie to take his share of all that money and yet not bother to play his solos properly. I play guitar, and I know that the solos Ronnie has to play aren't all that difficult. Is it too much to ask for him to stop posing and put in a little bit of effort?? What do other people think??

I'm looking forward to seeing the boys again in Paris on 3 June.

Cheers.

Re: Melbourne Review
Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: April 19, 2006 13:51

Great review, thanks! I'm so glad to read that Keith is ON! See you in Paris!

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: Dannyboy ()
Date: April 20, 2006 12:12

Good review John,

I was in Sydney although I live in Brighton. Sydney was excellent but as much a fantastic night out for me as a great concert.

I didn't go to Melbourne but by all accounts it was above par

Good on you

Dannyboy

Posted by: susieq ()
Date: April 20, 2006 12:37

Saw both Aus. concerts making my total 9 (all in Aus., starting way way back in 65!)

*Agree that Keith was really ON and wasn't it great.
Thought he was distinctly out of it in Sydney, maybe even to the extent that his guitar was mixed down a bit?

*Also agree Melb. was one of the best shows, but still couldn't rate it above the Enmore which was my ultimate Stones gig.

*Sound was just right from my seat by the B stage.

Glad you enjoyed it John, wish I could join you at the o/s shows.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 20, 2006 15:33

Damn sounds great, where can one download the concert?

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: April 25, 2006 10:18

great review john,i know what you mean about keith,thats the same focus he had in fort lauderdale last month(i posted a review when i got home from the show)he was simply amazing that night,from what im seeing and reading,keith seems to have really kicked it up a notch the last 2 months.as you said and i agree,when he's on nobody can touch him.

john scialfa

Posted by: Tekumseh ()
Date: April 25, 2006 11:03

I don't think it's about giving 100 %. Ron was pissed off drunk at Stockholm Stadium 03, and missed the strings and keys on the guitar, f***ed up the solo on Wild Horses, and hung aroung Mick's neck during the introductions.

But it's SEX, DRUGS & ROCK 'N' ROLL, and I think it was worth the price of the ticket anyway.

He said somthing like 'Everyone hits a bump in the road from time to time,' and Keith rolled his eyes, introducing 'Slipping Away.' The Blondie Chapman picked up a guitar, and Ron's sound were reduced. Heard Blondie's guitar better..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-25 18:47 by Tekumseh.

Posted by: Pussy Whips ()
Date: May 1, 2006 14:39

I had a Premium seat Keith side up the top at right angles from the B Stage.
The atmosphere was electric and clearly the crowd were all fans as evidenced by the loud and enthusiastic applause after each song.
The set list was different from what I expected and enjoyable.
The guys were loud (nothing wrong with that) but unfortunately the sound was distorted with Mick's vocals sounding like they were coming out of a cheap transistor radio.At the time I thought the acoustics of the venue might have been improved if the roof had been opened.However they had spot light rigging hanging from it, which probably could not have been set up from the floor without adversely reducing the viewing area for the fans.
I agree I thought the guys were "On" but unfortunately the acoustics spoiled it for me.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 1, 2006 16:00

>> For Sway, Keith played his specially made Ted Newman 5 string guitar -
surely this is the first time he's played this guitar on stage since 1975???
I was very excited to see him play this guitar live. <<

i don't blame you - that's the replica of his old "pirate" Zemaitis you mean there, but it must be great to see.
(the original vanished in 1978, and Keith just unveiled this replica in [i believe] january. i think he's only been using it for Sway.)

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1373
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home