Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith with the Faces - 'Sweet Little Rock & Roller'
Date: April 14, 2006 16:48

Bought myself a Faces DVD today and was surprised to see Keith playing lead with Ronnie on a live version of this song. Anyones else seen it and are there more?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-14 16:48 by Singer_Not_The_Song.

Re: Keith with the Faces - 'Sweet Little Rock & Roller'
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 14, 2006 18:00

sure to both questions. Keith joins them for 3 numbers on the so-called Faces Final Concert (december 74):
Sweet Little Rock & Roller, I'd Rather Go Blind and Twisting the Night Away.

- dec 23rd 1974 (Redferns, courtesy BrowneyedGirll)

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 14, 2006 18:27

good stuff - the camera work is awful, unfortunately - many times the focus is on the wrong player. aside from that, highly enjoyable - seeing KR at time when he's very into the smack but still in command of his playing.....

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 14, 2006 18:51

Keith also made an appearance with Faces on the late-Friday night NBC music show Midnight Special (that came on after Johnny Carson) in early '75.

It was a special edition of the show that featured just one band--I can't recall any other time that they did that-- that was taped in a studio. Basically Faces did their live show.

It was only shown one time--this pre-dates VCRs, kids. The technology was out there, but only a very, very few number of people had it. My high school English teacher (a"cool" teacher who was into rock and movies) was one of those few. He had a video recorder that was HUGE and recorded on reel to reel tape! (One hour max.) He brought in a video that he recorded off the air the same night as the Faces show: In-Concert, the ABC rock music show that was on at 11:30, That night on In Concert was Alice Cooper (now a solo artist, as he had just dumped the rest of the band called "Alice Cooper") doing a whole production of his new "Welcome to My Nightmare" album. That show was pure cheese, even then, with all these dancers and crap. It looked like the Carol Burnett show or something! There was a lot of hype about that one, I mean a really huge deal-- and the Faces show that followed it was sort of quietly overlooked and quickly forgotten. "Dude, you taped the wrong show," I told my teacher.

The quality of the Faces performance was great. I remember the set and background being white--and they floated a huge black box over the side of Mac's piano. The name of the manufacturer was very large on it and I guess someone thought it was free advertising.

I think they also did an interview. I don't recall if Wolfman Jack (a regular host on MS) did it.

Yeah, Keith showed up for that one, too. They did Sweet Little Rock and Roller. The quality of this one was much better that the lousy copy of the NOT-final concert film that's on DVD these days.

I'd love to see it again.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 14, 2006 23:06

The Welcome To My Nightmare tour was huge for Alice. Unfortunately, one of the reasons the original band broke up is that Alice wanted to have the huge elaborate stage shows and the rest of the band wanted to concentrate on the music with less theatrics.
I bought the Faces DVD a couple years ago. I kind of recall seeing it on tv back in the late 70's. Keith sure looks out of it!
Sure would like to see a Faces reunion tour once this current tour ends. Even though he's been a Stone for 31 years, I still think Ronnie looks like he fits in better with Rod on stage.

Date: April 14, 2006 23:40

> Sure would like to see a Faces reunion tour once
> this current tour ends. Even though he's been a
> Stone for 31 years, I still think Ronnie looks
> like he fits in better with Rod on stage.

Amen to that.

They are like twin brothers.

Artistically speaking, joining the Stones was the worst decision Ronnie ever made.

They barely used him as a writer.

It was like a corporate takeover where a big company buys a competitor, mismanages it, and then lets it run into the ground.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 14, 2006 23:56

loog droog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > Sure would like to see a Faces reunion tour
> once
> > this current tour ends. Even though he's been
> a
> > Stone for 31 years, I still think Ronnie looks
> > like he fits in better with Rod on stage.
>
> Amen to that.
>
> They are like twin brothers.
>
> Artistically speaking, joining the Stones was the
> worst decision Ronnie ever made.
>
> They barely used him as a writer.
>
> It was like a corporate takeover where a big
> company buys a competitor, mismanages it, and then
> lets it run into the ground.

AMEN. Interesting point of view. You are right. They used people like Brian, Nicky, Billy, Taylor and Ronnie and of course Bill but its alwyas always Rolling Stones inc and The Glimmer Twins who get the cred.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 15, 2006 00:02

In one way, you are right,
BUT Ronnie have really shined from time to time, especially on certain concerts from 1975 - 1982. You don't miss Mick Taylor, when you hear....let's say Black Limousine or Hand Of Fate.
When it comes to the song-writing side of him, it's a shame that it got buired. Though we got 3 GREAT solo albums in the 70s.

Date: April 15, 2006 01:11

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> In one way, you are right,
> BUT Ronnie have really shined from time to time,
> especially on certain concerts from 1975 - 1982.
> You don't miss Mick Taylor, when you hear....let's
> say Black Limousine or Hand Of Fate.
> When it comes to the song-writing side of him,
> it's a shame that it got buired. Though we got 3
> GREAT solo albums in the 70s.

Yes he did. And two of them were made before he was a Stone.

And it's the "time to time" part that I find annoying. In the Faces, he was The Star (OK, Rod was the star, but he wasn't a featured player)

The guy was such a great riff-meister, such a monster song-writer (I Can Feel The Fire rocks harder than anything on IORR) and yet the Stones never cut him loose. All that talent was buried.

Probably his greatest contribution to the Stones was his personality. He got all of them talking to each other when no one else could. If it wasn't for Woody, I think tensions within the group would have destroyed it a long time ago.

Date: April 15, 2006 21:51

Thanks everyone

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 15, 2006 22:09

so Singer_Not_The_Song, which performance of Sweet Little Rock & Roller do you have -
the one from the gig in my photo, or the one Loog Droog is talking about?
if it's the latter: what's the name of the DVD you bought, and where did you get it?

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: April 15, 2006 22:11

with sssoul Wrote:
> so Singer_Not_The_Song, which performance of Sweet
> Little Rock & Roller do you have -
> the one from the gig in my photo, or the one Loog
> Droog is talking about?
> if it's the latter: what's the name of the DVD you
> bought, and where did you get it?

Sorry, I've got the one in your photo

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 16, 2006 09:16

Too much distortion guitar by Keith but I love that.
I remember the scene that Rod dedicated Jimi Hen's "Angel" to Keith.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1871
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home