Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Flight 505
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 4, 2008 16:38

Love the Satisfaction riff that Stu gets in at the :19 mark and I love the fuzz on Bill's bass.

But is it the best song on Aftermath?

That's hard to say . . . it's . . . haaaarrrrd. In fact, it's not easy.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: September 4, 2008 17:47

the fuzz bass always throws me for a loop... I think it's on "It's Not Easy" too. He either switches it on and off (a la "Satisfaction") or there are two basses, maybe the fuzz played by keith?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 4, 2008 18:36

I've always loved Aftermath, the US edition. But the UK edition is even better. Think is a great tune, as is What To Do. And Flight 505 and Don'tcha Bother Me and High And Dry - all great dumpy bluesy tunes...

Aftermath is outstanding. Out Of Our Heads (US) is outstanding. The rest of the albums are blah. December's Children is OK.

Posted by: undertheradar ()
Date: September 4, 2008 23:16

Flight 505 was also coincidentally the flight number of the BOAC (British Airways) plane the Stones took on their first trip to the US in 1964

[www.songfacts.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 5, 2008 01:23

Flight 505 is also the flight after flight 504

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 5, 2008 02:04

LOVE that intro!

Of course you do realise that now we'll have to start the it-was-really-Stu-who-wrote-the-Satisfaction-riff thread? All that stuff about cassette recorders in the middle of the night sounds very fishy to me (oops, wrong thread again)

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: September 5, 2008 02:34

nikkibong
great song - about Buddy Holly's ill-fated flight, i believe.

...and Roy Carr (Illustrated Record) would back up that assertion.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 5, 2008 09:45

Rockman
Flight 505 is also the flight after flight 504
The Beatle should have named that song of theirs, 910, instead of one after 909

Date: September 5, 2008 16:28

Green Lady
LOVE that intro!

Of course you do realise that now we'll have to start the it-was-really-Stu-who-wrote-the-Satisfaction-riff thread? All that stuff about cassette recorders in the middle of the night sounds very fishy to me (oops, wrong thread again)

camper88
Love the Satisfaction riff that Stu gets in at the :19 mark

Of course, I do realize that, yes. Very fishy indeed. Tell the CIS to keep outta sight.

Date: September 5, 2008 16:36

BluzDude

The Beatle should have named that song of theirs, 910, instead of one after 909

Please realize of course that the Beatles tune was actually written as early as 1957, and is among the earliest songs that they (Lennon and McCartney) wrote.
It goes back to as early as 1957 and was recorded during the 1963 sessions of From Me to You. A variety of takes were released on the Beatles Anthology.

And it's a great tune, to my ears.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 5, 2008 19:49

rooster
Maybe its the first song were they was really sounding ''DIRTY""....btw i know nobody likes it but i love Stupid girl...and Under my thumb has it all...what a tension and danger! Yes they should play 505 live!!smileys with beer

I like "Stupid Girl" and sometimes, stupid girls!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: September 5, 2008 20:09

Could someone please post or direct me to the "Aftermath Isolated Trax"? I've only been able to download one of the four CD's and it is a revelation! The posting on Pirate Bay isn't working for me but this material is Ear Candy Supreme.Thanks.

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 22, 2009 17:08

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: June 22, 2009 17:17

Green Lady
LOVE that intro!

Never thought of that, but seriously, HE DID!

Posted by: StonesFanatic ()
Date: June 22, 2009 17:36

Havo
aftermath---best stones-album
505 Great
but Out of time--awsome

Yep...Out of Time > Flight 505

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: June 22, 2009 19:35

The w-i-d-e stereo version of Aftermath has a real treat for fans of Charlie and Bill, because when you listen to Flight 505 with just their channel on, it is just them.

Pop the CD into your car player and isolate the "Charlie and Bill" channel on this one, it's tons of fun to hear them driving this song!

Posted by: Taylor Era ()
Date: June 22, 2009 20:31

''great song - about Buddy Holly's ill-fated flight, i believe.''

- - - - I don't, Holly's plane didnt go down in the sea like the song says;

the accident report doesn't refer to any 'flight 505' - the plane was identified by its serial and wing numbers only ...

'505' is the flight number though of the plane the Stones flew in on their first trip to North America and Chuck Berry refers to '505' in the lyrics of 'You Can't Catch Me'

Flyin' on the beam set on flight control,
Radio tuned to rock and roll.
Two, three hours done passed us by,
Altitude dropped to 505.
Fuel consumption way too fast,
Let's get on home before we run out of gas.
- - - - - the Stones song is a Chuck Berry styled rocker and I wouldn't doubt for a second the 505 comes from that song

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-22 20:32 by Taylor Era.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 22, 2009 22:39

undertheradar
Flight 505 was also coincidentally the flight number of the BOAC (British Airways) plane the Stones took on their first trip to the US in 1964

[www.songfacts.com]

According to Andrew Oldham's first book, Flight 505 was the British Airways flight from New York to London that left once a day at 16.00 hrs.

Mathijs

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 26, 2009 03:26

Flight 505 is one of my favorites from the Jones early era - I wish they'd try it live. Great vide to the song and the whole album. UK version far superior to US version. In my opinion it deserves to be up with the big 4 and Some Girls. It gets overshadowed in that it came out right around the same time as Pet Sounds and Revolver. What a great creative period for Rock music!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2643
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home