Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Nothing But The Wheel"
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 12, 2006 07:31

When we mention Jagger's contributions on other folk's discs or his overlooked gems we should include this one at the top of the list. Jagger is alwasy GREAT when he helps out on vox. "You're so vain", "Walk, Don't look back", "Oh Virginia" and "Zulu Warrior" he always gets this beautiful tenor voice going. Never jave I used Jagger and Tenor in the same sentence but this time it popped in my mind. I was listening to Peter Wolf's album and I love this thin reedy voice that Jagger adpats at times when he does a high co-lead vox. even we he doubles himself. Perfects it all over "Exile". "Rocks Off", Tumbling Dice" especially feature it. jagger doesn't need any studio pyrotechnics. "Evening Gown" and "Hang on to Me", "Loving Cup" and "Let it Loose" show a great voice at work.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Re: "Nothing But The Wheel"
Date: April 12, 2006 07:42

I am answering my own damn thread...I noticed something very strong: "Five O'Clock Angel" on the Peter Wolf album "Sleepless" sounds incredibly much like it came right out of the "Pay Pack & Follow" sessions. Wolf's vocal and the song itself rings a lot like "Thru the wilderness". And "Hey Jordan" also sound slike another one from PPF. "She's just 17" maybe.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 12, 2006 07:46

Nothing But the Wheel is a fabulous, fabulous song - Jagger's vocal contributions kick it up a notch, but it's great even without him. Best song on a very good album.

Date: April 12, 2006 07:57

Apologies for posting so much in this thread but I am travelling, am bored and happen to be listening to the very album. You are so right StonesTod&A: this is a VERY good album. Who is Will Jennings?

Date: April 12, 2006 08:00

songwriter, ain't he?

Date: April 12, 2006 08:03

by the by - one of the things that makes this album so good is the consistency of the band, anchored by none other than Dylans' longtime bassist, Tony Garnier, whom I met after the "Sleepless" release party in Boston the night of the Orpheum Stones show in '02. Cool guy.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-12 08:12 by StonesTod.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 12, 2006 09:13

"Too Close Together" (with Keith) is also a fun track, but not in the same league as "Nothing But The Wheel".

Posted by: jigsawp ()
Date: April 12, 2006 10:52

Yeah!!!!! The "Sleepless" Album by Peter Wolf is a very nice album. The version of "Homework" (which he already did with the J.Geils Band) is just outstanding!!But on top will always be "Nothing but the wheel"!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 12, 2006 11:17

If there is one thing that I don't get is why all (ALL) the pro-singers I know think that Jagger is only an avarage to mediocre singer.

Yes, true he ain't no "virtuoso", but hell, I don't know any other singer who could sing with convinction so many geners as Jagger does. And his guest spots on other records are there to prove this: he almost never plays his rolling stones Mick Jagger role, but rather gets into the stile of the different artist and always gives a touch of originality, both to the song and to his interpretation.

Too bad he never really got into singing funk in a decent way. I am convinced that the Stones could have been one of the best funk bands ever!

C

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: April 12, 2006 11:53

Nothing but the wheel i just fantastic, and Jagger is as always great! The song is so good that even my band has started playing it! :-)

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 12, 2006 15:19

Love Wolf. With Geils, Mick, Keef, Steve Earle, Faye DSunaway, whoever....he's a cool motorscooter! Woofer Goofer with the Green Teeth!

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: April 12, 2006 16:18

Sleepless is a truly great album. Thi might sound like a contradiction, but the title track is one of its hidden gems...the more times I hear it, the bestter it gets...honest and simple lyrics supported by respectfully tender backing music and vocals...a beauty.

Nothing But the Wheel is another gem with Jagger doing what few others can...breathing life into a song, making it sound like he's lived it, and making the listener, therefore, relate on a higher level. Listen to the version by Patti Loveless and you'll hear the difference...

Once last thing about Sleepless, buy it and read the liner notes!!!

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 12, 2006 16:31

Nothing but the wheel is great song indeed - I'm just playing it again.

but hey, liddas
what funk bands are you thinkin' of?
It kinda shudders me, maybe I just don't have the right funk on my mind.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: April 12, 2006 18:20

open-g Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nothing but the wheel is great song indeed - I'm
> just playing it again.
>
> but hey, liddas
> what funk bands are you thinkin' of?
> It kinda shudders me, maybe I just don't have the
> right funk on my mind.

My point is that of all the styles that Jagger has covered, funk is the (only?) one he can't really sing.

I have in mind only Stones songs (I don't remember him singing in any funk band): hot stuff, sex drive, jugular, and even rain falls down (are all great but) could have been better if jagger sang better.

what I don't understand is that Jagger always claims to be a big JB fan, but his approach to funk (from a rythm point of view) is as far as it can be from Mr Dynamite!!! Jagger style is more like Robert Plant's on the houses of the holy lp, and Robert is even worse than Jagger in singing on a funk rythm.

The only convincing interpretation I can remember is the 75/76 SFTD, and that is not on a proper funk number!

C

Date: April 12, 2006 19:28

Has anybody seen the bridge? Where's that confund bridge?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-12 19:29 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: April 12, 2006 20:21

liddas Wrote:
>> My point is that of all the styles that Jagger has
> covered, funk is the (only?) one he can't really
> sing.
>
> I have in mind only Stones songs (I don't remember
> him singing in any funk band): hot stuff, sex
> drive, jugular, and even rain falls down (are all
> great but) could have been better if jagger sang
> better.

Well, if you consider Miss You and Dance as "funk" Jagger is great on them.

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: April 12, 2006 23:26

Peter Wolf is great. I can't understand why the J.Geils Band fired him after Freeze Frame( which is at least how the story goes) which was their break out disc. I saw Geils twice and Wolf is an incredible singer and front man. Go figure!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 13, 2006 00:13

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
>> "Evening Gown" and "Hang on to Me", "Loving Cup"
> and "Let it Loose" show a great voice at work.

Chelsea:

these are excellent examples, as is Nothing But the Wheel, of Jagger not falling into that "catastrophically sober" nuance that he has been doing far too often since the early 80's (first noted on UC)....When Mick loosens up, slurs a bit and let's his natural drawl take hold, he's a far more listenable and enjoyable vocalist.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 13, 2006 04:48

They foolishly fired him because he drank too much....

The reunited recently for a tour and I saw them in Detroit, which is one of their fav places, and it was incredible. But now he is solo again! He has a fantastic voice and so much stage presence.

Date: April 13, 2006 05:43

You can get fired from a rock'n'roll band for excessive drinking? Has this world gone stark raving mad?

Date: April 21, 2006 20:00

Maybe Wolf and Woody should form a band together. Too bad Moon can't be their drummer. The Drunk Funkers

Posted by: BostonStrangler ()
Date: April 21, 2006 21:04

My friend Kevin plays a drum track on that album....not "nothing but the wheel" but the song after so his name is like 6 or 7 lines after Mick's...
he loves taking out the credits to that album and showing off..I dont blame him..
Ya know Pete's a Boston Boy...onetime a WBCN Dj...

Posted by: john r ()
Date: April 21, 2006 21:41

I would assume Mick was a JB fan before James went all out "funk", a process which would begin in earnest with a couple tracks around '65 ('Out Of Sight,' 'I Got You,' etc) - yes, much of JB's instrumental stuff from the period, influenced by Jimmy Smith or big-bands or whatever, is 'funky' - really wasn't until the late '60s / early 70s that his style underwent that rhythmic (r)evolution. So the James Mick would have been inspired by is Soul Brother # 1, or the gospel influenced, 50s r & b influenced singer of "Roots Of A Revolution" & hits like 'Try Me' or 'Bewildered' & the first Apollo album. (Also I suspect his admiration may be greatest for JB's ability to hold an audience, to dazzle)...Same period as his other soul heroes - Covay, Pickett, Otis, Cooke, etc. The funk came later for the Stones, especially Black & Blue, when they were clearly exploring more contemporary black styles, including Phily soul, reggae, etc, but by then they were all into their 30s - tho one could make a case for Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo, a rather terrific song & vocal.
To me Wolf is a total star and great performer/writer/singer, & whenever he'd come into Tower in Cambridge - looking exactly as he always does, black clothes, shades, hat - no one seemed to recognize him, which I found surprising...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home