Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Guns 'n Roses, what happened
Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: April 11, 2006 12:19

I'm a guns 'n roses fan and i think i'm not the only here. There music was, and still is of course, great. However, apart from there music i don't know much about them. Could anybody fill me in what happened to them, who was the first one to leave and why.

Sorry to for off topic post but i'm curious.

Cheers

ps. I played Dust 'n Bones with my band the other night, that song really rocks! Check out there live version on there live live cd (duh).

Cheers,
Wuudy

Re: OT: Guns 'n Roses, what happened
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: April 11, 2006 12:39

Hi Wuudy. Yes in their prime they were great. Axl was one of the top frontmen of Rock. IMO Slash is a superb Rock lead player. they had it all in place and IMO the second incarnation on Illusion was even better.
Izzy Stardlin was the first to leave. he did not go for the whole super rockstar trip. he wanted to play more organic Rock. Which he did when he put together the Ju Ju Hounds. he put out 3 good albums of straight rootsy rock. Had Rick Richards and Mac playing with him.
But Setve Adler the firsat drummer left evenb before. He was fired. For his addiction to heroin which got in the way of his playing according to Slash.
They replaced him with Matt Sorum, a superb Rock drummer. Also added a fat superfluos keyboard man who doubled Axl's studio keylines live and was the only one to stay with Axl afterwards. On the meagtour for Illusion Gilby Clarke replaced Izzy. he was a good choice but the big thing they lost with Izzy was one of their main writers. Axl beign the other one. Slash as good as he is is no writer and Duff is sort of the odd contributor. he came from punkrock roots, fromn Seattle and was the last to join the original lineup.
Axl freaked out just too much on the tour where no one wnated to put up with him anymore. he owns the name thoigh, so he still wnats to release the fabled "Chines Democracy" one day. With a totally new line-up. Most of the others went on to Velver revolver with Weiland as frontman.
they all partied hard. Slash reportedly dies a few times and Duff has had his stomach replaced. Adler stayed strung out and Izzy has dissappeared. Axl is a bit fat and still crazy but judging from the leaked tracks of Chinese Dem. he still can write a killer sappy Rock ballad.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: April 11, 2006 12:40

dude, go buy this months Classic rock magazine, it's got a cover feature on G'n'R about the use Your Illusion tour, which is pretty insightful.

Not only that but it's the best music mag out there for fans of Rock music,

As for what happended to them, thats simple, three letters - A-X-L. he's nuttier than a vegetarians fart!

Date: April 11, 2006 12:47

Wow, thanks a lot guys!!! That's some good information.

Where can i buy Izzy's albums? Only on the internet or are they still in shops in Holland?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 11, 2006 13:01

Ju JU Hounds has Ronnie on it.

Latest rumour is a GnR live album followed by a triple Chinese Democracy later this year.

Date: April 11, 2006 13:01

A live album by the old Guns 'n Roses?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: April 11, 2006 14:00

They did sort of a live album. There is "Lies" and then there is "The Spaghetti Incident". But they just recently released a Live album.
The Izzy albums are all out of print and have become hard to find. the first one is best IMO. "117 Degrees" is also pretty good. He does a version of Ronnie's "Take a look at the guy" on the first one.

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: April 11, 2006 14:10

the 'Live ere'album came out about six/seven years ago didn't it

Think Geffen were getting so bummed at having no new G'n'R product on the shelf that they realeased the live album - Axl was pissed and tried to get an injunction against it. I thought it was a kick ass record, listened to it a lot at the time. although there is talk about another greatest hits compilation and live album coming out soon - all 'till Axl finally pulls his finger out and releases chinese democracy

Date: April 11, 2006 14:20

Well they leaked four tunes from CD on line. yesterday I heard from a friend that it had finally been released. I don't know myself if that is true. But hesaid that he had even read a whole reveiw. I have heard a ballad from it that was really strong. As powerful as "November Rain".
I hated to see Axl Rose on the TV show a while back. It was some awards show with Jimmy Fallon hosting. Axl embarrassed himself. It was SO TERRIBLE!!! Buckethead, Tommy Stinson and an army of guitarrists backed up an overweight Axl huffing through yet another rendition of "Paradise City" and some other crap. Four guitars and they STILL couldn't touch Slash.

Posted by: dandelion22 ()
Date: April 11, 2006 14:55

I was reading some music rag the other day...Spin maybe, and they had a review for Chines Democracy.Gave it a pretty good review but didn't mention a release date and I've been too lazy to research it further.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 11, 2006 15:22

Steven left due to some drug allegations and it slowly fell apart from there

once he went the original spirit left the band and they became a bloated sack of shit with a permed buffoon on drums and more back up musicians than the Stones

oh for the days when there were just the original 5 of em playing fiery rock n roll

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: April 11, 2006 15:25

"As powerful as "November Rain"

is it possible to be as 'powerful' as a limp lettuce ?

surely November Rain is now acknowledged for the tripe it was ?. Elton John would've had a hard time keeping a straight face if he'd wrote that turkey

and the less said about the video the better

what a shocker!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 11, 2006 15:41

Izzy's "Ju Ju Hounds" is very good. Stones/Faces type rock. Spoke with Izzy at the Ronnie Wood show in Atlanta , early 90's. Very nice, not on a star trip at all. Axl's personality seems to be what ruined everything, along with abuse (spousal and drugs). Adler has had a stroke, I think.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 11, 2006 16:13

Gilby Clarke is part of the new Supernova for Mark Burnett's RockStar TV show this summer with Tommy Lee and Jason Newstead.

I saw GNR open on two of the nights for the Stones in LA in 89. They broke up on stage the first night. Trainwreck. Heroin accusations on stage, apologizes a few nights later. VERY bizarre. They should have been at the top of their game and they really were @#$%& it up.

Axl must be a total nutjob.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 11, 2006 18:40

I like GnR a lot actually, but I didn't like them when they were around. I was too much of RNR snob to give any hair bands a chance. I lightened up later tho.

I love Spaghetti Incident best. There's some good ones off of UYI too. Don't Cry is great, although one version is much better than the other, i think it's the original one.

I saw VR a few times last year, or the year before, and they kicked ass. They were really tight, and they rocked, and Scott W. is such a freakin rock star. The music sounded great live, better than on the album.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: April 11, 2006 19:13

Anyone here going to see GnR on their summer tour ?
Chinese Democracy is announced and delayed since 2001...
Looks like the 21st century's equivalent of Brian Wilson's Smile.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: April 11, 2006 19:26

imo they lost their ferocious roll when adler left the drum slot...
sorum plays great studio-kinda style...hard rock with no roll...
and for me, they lost it right there after the first album, which was
deleriously impactful...a career making bonanza of great playing and energy...

sadly, for me, they are akin to the pistols, ONLY in that, they had one perfect album...and then...well, for me, nothing much...
tho i know so many here will love Use Your Illusion(s) etc...which i bought also, and tried to really get into for awhile...

then again, in rare cases that one perfect album makes it's own indelible history...forever.

saw them live opening up for stones in '89 in LA...
they were seriously smoking...came prepared to not like them and was totally won over...
(i realize that it was probably sorum that night on drums)

i think what happened is that Axl went so nutz, he just let one of the most powerful bands in recent history just atrophy...
i have no hope at all for Chinese Democracy...
what a bad noise they made a year or two ago or whenever that buckethead
live thing was...tubby axl (which is ok) but in the same ridiculous football journey...and bandana...embarassing...and awful music too...
from one of the most distinct voices ever in rock...
with a great band... a waste...and (appetite for destruction) a gift...
apparently mr. rose's appetite for destruction is still not satiated...

tho Chinese democracy as a band name is intriguing...
that's probably as interesting as it's gonna get...
i think it's too late for him to roundly kiss enough ass to get the original crew behind him...
and i don't think he can make that stretch...too bad.
g & r are a long time over, cooked, put the fork in it; done.

Date: April 11, 2006 20:48

Oh man, you gotta let yourself love "Novemvber Rain". Itr's like saying no to Banana Splits. Listening to that song is like immersing yout head in bowl of pancake syrup. Just way too much but kind of sweet too.
Was that the silly video with Axl all shivering and naked in a straightjacket at the end?

Date: April 11, 2006 20:54

ChelseaDrugstore Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Was that the silly video with Axl all shivering and naked in a straightjacket at the end?

That scene wasn't silly and served a very important purpose. It showed how nicely defined Waxl's legs are.
Some people just don't understand symbolism. Jheeesh.

Date: April 11, 2006 20:57

Axl's Waxed axels...

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: April 11, 2006 21:29

I've burnt the Chinese Democracy cd from Limewire. Getting into it. I saw them at Wembley early 90's. IMO The greatest rock band. I love Velvet Revolver.

"I hit the bulls eye everynight" GNFR!

Date: April 11, 2006 21:31

jagger50 Wrote:

I love Velvet Revolver.

Hey did you get to see them live? I loved seeing them do "used to love her".

Date: April 11, 2006 21:39

Hi Cindy, no unfortunately. I have all the GnR cd's and vinyl. V.Revoler really remind me of GnR. The concert I saw with GnR was the best concert I ever saw. (Except the Stones of course,) It took several minutes to realise what the first song was when they came on. People were going absolutely crazy. A great memory. A West Coast band bumming around. They got a record deal and WHAM! Appetite Of Destruction. Beat that one!

Date: April 11, 2006 22:06

I said beat that one!!

Date: April 11, 2006 22:10

hey, give me a second, i'm working here!!! My life is not all fun and games you know.

Ok, I guess the only luckier bastard I can think of is Kevin Federline, Britney's husband.

Date: April 11, 2006 22:13

CindyC, did you say that you were in a music promotion type of job? The reason I'm asking is that I met a lady at a recent show in Atlanta (not Stones) and she was working promotion on the East Coast leg of the tour (the Under-Assistant East Coast Promo Girl, I suppose). Wasn't you, was it?

Posted by: Walapino ()
Date: April 11, 2006 22:17

Some quick facts for ya smiling smiley

Matt Sorum first live gig was in 1991 so he wasnt the drummer in the Stones shows back in 1989, Adler was.

Chinese Democracy has NOT leaked yet, only 4 demos have and are TWAT, Catcher in the Rye, Better and I.R.S. Dont believe any rumor that says otherwise or any fake CD on emule or soulseek, they are mostly old demos back from the original lineup mostly. Brian May plays lead in CITR song.

Other new songs only exist in live format played in 2001 and 2002. They are Madagascar, The Blues, Chinese Democracy, Rhiad and the Bedouins and Silk Worms.

Only studio song released from the new line up is Oh My God found on the End of Days Soundtrack.

GNR will headline Rock in Lisbon, Download Festival and many other european festivals this summer, a USA tour and the eventual release of the new cd are rumor to happen aswell but NOT confirmed.

Hope ths helps.

Date: April 11, 2006 22:18

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
The reason I'm asking is that I met a lady at a recent show in Atlanta

Hey Elmo, i think if you re-read your question you can answer that yourself. As you can tell from my posts, I am no lady! hahaha

But no, that would not have been me. I worked at EMI in the early 90's but I don't work in the biz any longer. I work in travel now in a marketing capacity. No, not nearly as sexy, I know.

Date: April 11, 2006 22:21

She was a cool, knowlegable chick. Kinda like you seem.

Well, it's quitting time. I gone for the day!

Date: April 11, 2006 22:36

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
She was a cool, knowlegable chick. Kinda like you seem.
>
> Well, it's quitting time. I gone for the day!

Thanks! That made my day. You're cool too!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1628
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home