Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Nagoya report
Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: April 5, 2006 16:16

BV! Scandinavium, Gothenburg 1973 oct 6th was my first show, too. The afternoon one.

Were you at the noon or night show?

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 5, 2006 16:55

I am in my hotel room, just got back from the show. I'm not anal enough to time it, but I estimate they did 21 songs in about 1:50. Bv can probably correct me if I'm wrong. I saw 4 shows in Japan (excluding Sapporo) and felt that Nagoya was clearly no. 4. It was a 40 Licks setlist, and some pretty noticeable gaffes from both Keith and Ronnie. The crowd was very enthusiastic, but seemed a little lost in the 1/3 empty Dome. Saitama was a hot show, and maybe I'm just spoiled after LA Forum, but I felt like they were coasting a little. Still, Mick was doing his thing, the warhorses got the crowd in a frenzy as usual, and people seemed very happy leaving the venue.

But the real thrill was coming back from the restroom after Happy (sacrifices have to be made in life) and getting close to the B-Stage. They had walled off a section in the front of the B-Stage, so there was an aisle in front of the B-Stage, with only a small group standing there. So I crowded around the barrier, when they suddenly waved in a bunch of VIP types (Westerners, and young, but I didn't recognize them). Very fortunately for me, I went straight from a meeting to the concert, and happened to be wearing a dark blue Georgio Armani suit and tie. I just looked straight ahead, and joined their group. Some Asian woman in their group noticed me and started saying something, but I think I just looked like I belonged, and she seemed unsure so she paused. So, I just walk in and the VIP's just kind of mill around near the front of the stage! Of course, I walked straight for the left front corner, nudge a young girl over to the right, and throw my arms over the rail! I was in heaven, obviously. My only other time at the B-Stage rail I was in the Chuck corner so this was a vast improvement. Anyway, that made my night. But one really weird thing was I was so close that I could hear Charlie's drums live and the delay from the sound coming from the speakers was very distracting. My other times near the B-Stage have all been in Arenas, so this was a first for me. Has anyone else noticed this?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 5, 2006 17:37

drbryant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But one really weird thing was I was so close that I could hear Charlie's drums live and the delay from the sound coming from the speakers was very
> distracting. My other times near the B-Stage have all been in Arenas, so this was a first for me. Has anyone else noticed this?

Many times. If you are close to the b-stage at a stadium show, the delay is very noticeable. Not a problem at arena shows, as they have a separate PA hung above the b-stage to avoid delay.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 5, 2006 17:38

thanks for the reviews, guys..and now for Shanghai!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 5, 2006 18:21

Just out of nowhere I did actually meet my new friend from Nagoya outside the venue today. Out of 30,000 people what is the chance of that? And sure we got "You Got Me Rocking"!!! What a terrific version. Keith is all over that song. 100% Keith. Can't understand how people don't like it. In fact the Nagoya crowd was slowing down during Rain fall Down but "You Got Me Rocking" put the crowd back in action.

The Nagoya Dome was only 2/3 full. Upper ring almost empty. Middle ring half empty. Lower ring 2/3 full. Floor packed. Roughly 30,00 people in a venue that can take 45,00 people. Bjut those who were there made more noise than the crowd at the Saitama show. Best show in Japan on this tour, even if Saitama was great too. And sure I liked the set list tonight, may be that is why I liked it so much. Plus a great great crowd.

Security was absolutely superb. Complete control. No cameras. No pictures. No moving around, except if you really want to go to the B-stage and you need to be there and you know how to do it. Not one guy holding the barrier like at Saitama but 10-20. So just forget about pushing your way. But experience and tactics are better than pure power. I was as close as you can get. And like at saitama, the B-stage was hot, real hot. rom then on and to the end it was just getting better and better. All sorts of home made posters were up in the air. Mick I love you. Keith. Charlie. Ronnie. Lots. A pick was flying my way and I was almost knocked down. For a piece of plastic. Yes the crowd wwas wild and great tonight.

Back to the B-stage. I found myself in a great position. In fact it could not have been any better. Time for the real home run, which started with PAINT IT BLACK. May be it was the sitar. Or may be it was the beat. But it had a great sound and the crowd just loved it. Thousands of hands in the air. Then Start Me Up next. Same reacton. And Brown Sugar. Three killer songs in a row. More home made posters. Some had planned carefully and had four posters saying YEAH YEAH YEAH WOW! perfect for Brown Sugar. Mick went down to the floor as he have done a few times lately and many manny fans rushned up to get a closer look. Seciryty was relaxed by now. We were fans and we could be part of the show with no rude treatment. At the end of BS I am sure Mick said somethoing about Shanghai. May be they can't play it? We will see soon.

Satisfaction was amazing. The guitars were so perfect. Keith was in Ronnie position and Ronnie was in Keith position, not too close but still facing each other like may be 10-15 feet apart - in front of Charlie. Keith with another new all white and different gitar from the previous shows, this one with a black piece on the lower part and all pure white, smaller than the classic one he used in saitama and other recent shows on Satisfaction. what a great great sound on that one. Keith please keep that one for the next shows as well.

Ruby Tuesday, Gimme Shelter and Paint It Black in the same show is perfect for me. Plus all the other great songs. Thank you Stones for another great show. And thank you Nagoya fans for being so great. And thank you Japan for all your kind and real hospitality. It's Only Rock'n Roll But I Like It!

Bjornulf

Date: April 5, 2006 18:51

Best show of the tour? sometimes I wonder if bv and I are seeing the same shows. Nevertheless, I have a question for the master -- I thought that the main stage was closer to the front row and LOWER than the main stage in Tokyo. Did you get that impression?

Posted by: saintmick ()
Date: April 5, 2006 19:02

bv Wrote:
Every time they perform live and I can't be
> there I feel pain so I am sure there is a name for
> this.

It's called passion!

or is it obsession?

or both?

Anyway: no need to be treated for...

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 5, 2006 19:06

bv Wrote:
You Got Me Rocking"!!! What a terrific
> version. Keith is all over that song. 100% Keith.
> Can't understand how people don't like it.

Sure you can...you're just not working hard enough at it.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 5, 2006 19:12

Well, I dont like it.
But on the other hand; I'm a Stones live virgin.
I comprehend - and perceive from
the live redordings (esp. video-wise) -
that's something thats smokes there....

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 5, 2006 20:45

>> Keith with another new all white and different gitar from the previous shows,
this one with a black piece on the lower part and all pure white,
smaller than the classic one he used in saitama and other recent shows on Satisfaction. <<

ahh, that must be the Supro Ozark - i'm glad it sounds good to you.
and thanks for the cool review.

- LA Forum, march 06 2006, by Harold Colson
(courtesy of Rocks Off)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-05 20:51 by with sssoul.

Date: April 6, 2006 01:03

I did not say it was the best show of the tour. I said it might have been the best show FOR ME in Japan. Sanme level as Saitama. Great crowd. So best out of 5. I have seen some other shows too on this tour. But Japan was great indeed.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 6, 2006 03:00

My wife said they had rehearsed "Street Fighting Man" in the afternoon for the first Tokyo show
but they omitted this song after all in Japan tour.
I'm afraid she may have heard wrong.

Date: April 6, 2006 04:00

I agree a very good 5-show tour of Japan, and it was nice of them to include Nagoya and Sapporo. Marred only by the worst promotion company I have ever seen. Looking forward to Vienna w/my family.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 6, 2006 05:03

bv Wrote:
> At the end of BS I am sure Mick said somethoing
> about Shanghai. May be they can't play it? We will
> see soon.

whaaa? If they cant get the OK to do it at this short notice, time for them to accept they'll never play there and give up on the idea

I hope for the sake of the folks who have paid for their tickets and travel that you heard wrong

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: April 6, 2006 05:49

i suspect that he noted that they can't play BS in Shanghai.

Date: April 6, 2006 12:09

When I say "it" I mean the song, not the city.

Bjornulf

Date: April 6, 2006 16:15

Correct. Keith changed to the above guitar as shown in the picture from LA Forum, March 06 2006, by Harold Colson. That is the one Keith used during Satisfactiuon in Nagoya. For all other Satisfaction before that in Japan he used the larger one all cream white, also used on other songs in Nagoya.

Bjornulf

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 6, 2006 16:55

cool - thank you for confirming that, Bjornulf!
by the way there are now some photos from Sapporo up on rs.com -
some of them are beautiful! but the only one where Keith's got that cream/white semihollow is from behind and you can't really see it.
Keith's down on one knee out on the catwalk - i reckon that would be Satisfaction?

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1567
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home