Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

1969 Best Year In Pop Music
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 4, 2006 00:43

Took me some years to figure out but 1969 is defenitely for me the best year in POP music.
Folowed by 1968 and 1967

Re: 1969 Best Year In Pop Music
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 4, 2006 00:57

your calendering acumen is suffering. 1969 followed 1967 and 1968....i realize those were drug-induced daze, though....

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: April 4, 2006 01:50

Yeah,it might be the best year for rock with albums like Abbey Road,Let it bleed,In the court of the Crimson King,The Band's second album,Dylan's Nashville skyline etc.All of these albums are among my most favourite ones.

At the moment I am listening to an excellent Scott Walker's fourth album released in 1969 as well.

Posted by: ROADRUNNER ()
Date: April 4, 2006 02:26

(excuse my english)
It's true, all the big stars are at his best moment in 1969:
Stones, Beatles, Dylan, Doors, Creedence, Jefferson, Hendrix, Joplin, ... even ELVIS came back!

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: April 4, 2006 02:29

I'd say 69, 70, 71... because didn't sticky fingers come out in 71 ? And Layla ? and all those great ccr classics were during that time frame... and sgt. peppers, most of zeppelin's best, CSNY, Mountain, Jethro Tull, Allman Brothers, Moody Blues, Beatles... those were the 3 best years.

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-04 02:31 by BornOnTheBayou.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: April 4, 2006 02:42

The three best years were 1967,1968 and 1969.Early seventies come close but those last three years of the Sixties gave us some of the greatest music ever recorded(Pepper,Beggar's Banquet,Abbey Road,White Album,Music from big pink,The Band,In the court of the Crimson King,Strange Days,Disraeli gears,Let it bleed,John Wesley Harding.......)

And one shouldn't forget the most important year for rock which must be 1966. with groundbreaking albums such as Pet Sounds,Revolver,Blonde on Blonde and Aftermath.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 4, 2006 02:55

1971 or 73 in rock.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: April 4, 2006 03:01

Best year? Mmmmmm... Difficult to say. So i select my best year (musically) of every past decade! In my opinion…
… The best year from 60s was 1968. A lot of great and historical albums.

…The best year during 70s was 1974. Some great albums and a lot of good records from favorite artists or bands.

… The best year from 80s was 1989. OK, just a good, a decent Stones album (in my opinion), but a great Stones tour after so many years. And great records from other “veterans” (i hate this word!), like Lou Reed and Tom Petty. A lot of good albums. A year with high productivity, I think.

…The best year from 90s was 1994. I truly like a lot of albums of this year. High productivity again.

Here are my “reasons”: The Stones and the …others, in alphabetical order. Oh, please CORRECT ME if i mention some albums which are not coming from the particular years, OK?

Beggars Banquet (Rolling Stones), Music From Big Pink (Band), White Album (Beatles), Cheap Thrills (Big Brother And The Holding Company), Super Session (Mike Bloomfield- Al Cooper- St. Stills), Soul Limbo (Booker T And the MG’s), The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown (Arthur Brown), Boogie With Canned Heat (Canned Heat), OK Ken? (Chicken Shack), Wheels of Fire (Cream), Creedence Clearwater Revival ( CCR), Waiting For The Sun (Doors), Scratching The Surface (Groundhogs), Electric Ladyland (Jimi Hendrix), In A Gadda Da Vida (Iron Butterfly), Cristo Redentor (Harvey Mandel), Kick Out The Jams –Live (MC5), Astral Weeks (Van Morrsison), A Saucerful Of Secrets (Pink Floyd), Renaissance (Vanilla Fudge)

IOOR (Rolling Stones), Not Fragile (Bachman Turner Overdrive), Bad Co (Bad Company, Baker Gurvitz Army (Baker Gurvitz Army), Street Party (Black Oak Arkansas), Diamond Dogs (David Bowie), Look At The Fool (Tim Buckley), Okie (JJ Cale), Captain Lockheed And The Starfighters (Robert Calvert), Mirage (Camel), 461 Ocean Boulevard (Eric Clapton), Paradise And Lunch (Ry Cooder), Stormbringer (Deep Purple), The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (Genesis), Staircase To The Day (Gravy Train), Free Beer And Chicken (John Lee Hooker), War Child (Jethro Tull), Second Helping (Lynyrd Skynyrd), A New Life (Marshall Tucker Band), Veedon Fleence (Van Morrison), Tooth Fang (Ted Nugent), Rock And Roll Animal – Live (Lou Reed), Crime Of The Century (Supertramp), Phenomenon (UFO), The Heart Of Suturday Night (Tom Waits) John Dawson Winter III (Johnny Winter).

Steel Wheels (Rolling Stones), Hooks (Herman Brood), The Sensual World (Kate Bush), Words For The Dying (John Cale), Travel Log (JJ Cale), Free (Concrete Blonde), Too Many Cooks (Robert Cray), Brendan Croker And The Five O’ Clock Shadows (Brendan Crocker), Sonic Temple (Cult), Oh Mercy (Bob Dylan), Brave And Crazy (Melissa Etheridge), Keeper Of The Flame (Golden Earring), The End Of The Innocence (Don Henley), The Healer (John Lee Hooker), Zig Zag (Hooters), Storm Front (Billy Joel), Let Love Rule (Lenny Kravitz), Acadie (Daniel Lanois), Big Daddy (John “Cougar” Mellencamp), Blue Sky Mind (Midnight Oil), Avalon Sunset (Van Morrison), Alannah Myles (Alannah Myles), Yellow Moon (Neville Brothers), Fool Moon Fever (Tom Petty), The Miracle (Queen), The Road To Hell (Chris Rea), New York (Lou Reed), Buzz Factory (Screaming Trees), Street Fighting Years (Simple Minds), Southside (Texas), Foreign Affair (Tina Turner), In Step (Stevie Ray Vaughan), Cataract (Walkabouts), Freedom (Neil Young).

Voodoo Lounge (Rolling Stones), Under The Pink (Tori Amos), Now I’m A Cowboy (Auterus), Around The Next Dream (BBM- Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, Gary Moore), Sprawl (Bevis Frond), Amorica (Black Crows), Life Model (Blue Aeroplanes), Grace (Jeff Bucley), Let Love In (Nick Cave), No Need To Argue (Cranberries), Down At The Doctors–Live (Dr. Feelgood) Medicine Wheel (Dubrovniks), Mighty Joe Moon (Grant Lee Buffalo), Roaring Forties (Peter Hammil), Hips And Makers (Kristin Hersh), Karmal Apple (Penelope Houston), Tomorrow The Green Grass (Jayhawks), Stoned And Dethroned (Jesus And Mary Chain), Character Assassination (Ed Kuepper), Nineteenninetyfour (Alvin Lee), Wildflowers (Tom Petty), Whip Smart (Liz Phair), Last Of The Independents (Pretenders), Give Out But Don’t Give Up (Primal Scream), Monster (REM), Orange (John Spencer Blues Explosion), Second Coming (Stone Roses), University (Throwing Muses), This 1.1X (Tindersticks), Funky Little Demons (Wolfgang Press), Sleeps With Angels (Neil Young).

Date: April 4, 2006 03:23

Slade, Sticky - 74? Nazareth? Neil Y? Iggy? Heep? Woody? Heat?
Agree 74 is good; always switch betw. 73 & 74...
Then again, it felt a bit provocative on a Stonesboard to say 74.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: April 4, 2006 03:30

I read the thread and respectfully say that the POP music of the time was poor, maybe catchy but poor.

I would offer the 'POP' music of the time was Sonny & Cher, Herman's Hermits and Tom Jones.

The music we love, the Stones, Hendriz,Doors, LedZep was much more edgier and caught on with the younger generation more. A comparison decades later would be Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Jet, - these guys are the music of our kids youth. POP now is Gwen Stefani, Ricky Martin, Brittany Spears, Justin Timberlake.

Does anyone agree with this opinion?

Date: April 4, 2006 03:33

My sons into rather edgy music; they're 11 & 13.
The scene was destroyed, perverted & ruined
in the 80s, but did recover fairly well in the 90s.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: April 4, 2006 03:45

Yes, Baboon Bro, i forgot some more good albums from 1974. Mmmm, Slade...1974 was the year of "Old New Borrowed and Blue", if i remember correctly.

"Then again, it felt a bit provocative on a Stonesboard to say 74."

I can feel you. Many suspicious guys around...

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: April 4, 2006 03:47

been said before once or twice

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: April 4, 2006 04:26

I saw my first concert in 1969. A group called the Rolling Stones. Yes, '69 was a great year. Two of the all-time greatest LPs came out "Let it bleed" and "Abbey road". As stones_serb mention "In the Court of the Crimson King". I have all but forgotten that masterpiece. I still have it on vinyl. A trip down memory lane..........

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: April 4, 2006 04:59

1969 was the MOST BORING year of the sixties. I would have to say 1965-1966 were the best years of pop hands down . . .

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 4, 2006 05:30

jjflash73 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I read the thread and respectfully say that the
> POP music of the time was poor, maybe catchy but
> poor.
>
> I would offer the 'POP' music of the time was
> Sonny & Cher, Herman's Hermits and Tom Jones.
>
> The music we love, the Stones, Hendriz,Doors,
> LedZep was much more edgier and caught on with the
> younger generation more. A comparison decades
> later would be Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Jet, - these
> guys are the music of our kids youth. POP now is
> Gwen Stefani, Ricky Martin, Brittany Spears,
> Justin Timberlake.
>
> Does anyone agree with this opinion?

I don't. It was all pop music.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 4, 2006 07:53

1966 was the bridge between fun and heavy music, and a lot of artists traveled in both directions.

By '69 rock took itself way too seriously.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 4, 2006 15:08

I'll go with 1971.

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: April 4, 2006 15:22

neptune Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1969 was the MOST BORING year of the sixties. I
> would have to say 1965-1966 were the best years of
> pop hands down . . .

Neptune is absolutely correct. The music that came out of these two years was phenomenal, and phenomenally influential on everything that came after it.

Beatles: Rubber Soul, Revolver
Stones: Out of Our Heads, Aftermath
Dylan: Highway 61 Revisited, Bringing It All Back Home, Blonde On Blonde
Byrds: Mr. Tambourine Man, Turn Turn Turn, 5th Dimension
Kinks: Face to Face
Beach Boys: Pet Sounds
Yardbirds: Roger the Engineer
The Who: My Generation

I'm sure there's plenty more I missed, but most of the stuff I just named is Desert Island material. I loved Let It Bleed in '69, but not much else that year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1812
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home