Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

International DVD Question
Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: March 30, 2006 20:29

If I send a European DVD to a friend of mine in Detroit. Would she be able to play it on her DVD Player?

The Box says PAL.

Re: International DVD Question
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 30, 2006 20:35

More than likely, not. Some players will play all formats, but not many. Oddly, I have heard that newer players on the cheap end are more likely to play PAL than more expensive ones. I would think the picture would be somewhat distorted since the difference in PAL and NTSC has to do with the resolution and compatability with the television.

I have been successful burning copies of PAL discs in the NTSC format with NERO, but it can be tricky and a bit distorted.

Ross

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: March 30, 2006 21:06

Isn't it more a problem of the region code than of the TV system? I think all modern players should play PAL and NTSC, but probably American players don't play other region codes than 1 (USA). If the region code is 0, it should be no problem though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-30 21:08 by midnrambler.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 30, 2006 21:07

You can get that region thing out of most DVD players by entering a code of some kind.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 30, 2006 22:06

Only if she has a multi-region DVD player. But you can search the internet for codes for the DVD player and key them in via the remote control. Then it should play anything.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 30, 2006 22:16

Anyone know where to buy a decent region free DVD player in the US? I went to Best Buy and the likes and they had no clue what I was talking about.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: March 30, 2006 22:33

She should be able to play it on a PC, but probably not on a DVD player in the States. It is a PAL NTSC problem, not a region issue.

How does one convert PAL to NTSC with Nero?

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 30, 2006 22:41

Steven Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> She should be able to play it on a PC, but
> probably not on a DVD player in the States. It is
> a PAL NTSC problem, not a region issue.
>
> How does one convert PAL to NTSC with Nero?

I use the "copy multiple DVD's to one disc" program.

From there, then drag & drop the files from the disc want to convert. It will prompt you that the files on the disc you are copying are mostly PAL. Click NO (you dont want the disc copied in PAL). From there follow the regular burning procedure. It takes a LONG time to re-code but you end up with an NTSC-compatable disc. Sometimes it's a little quirky but it plays!

Ross

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 31, 2006 00:05

I had this problem where I had a bunch of DVDs from various countries and eventually said screw it and went out and bought a region free dvd player. They are not that much more expensive than regular ones but you have to make sure you get the right kind... I guess I will do anything when it comes to my Stones bootlegs.

Here is the web site I got mine from. The one I got they guarenteed would play on any tv and play any kind of dvd. Actually here is a link to one I got similar to mine, only $99.

[www.world-import.com]

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: March 31, 2006 00:25

I found a dvd player on an yesasia.com. It's a GIEC gk-3500 that plays EVERYTHING!! It only was 99$ I also have a 900$ dvd player that plays NOTHING from over seas. It has to be both pal and ntsc compatable and region free. The US doesn't sell such a beast. I went through unbelievable frustration until I figured this out!!!

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: March 31, 2006 07:25

I just bought a CyberHome CHDVD 300 for $30 or $40 at Bestbuy...it plays all regions as well as CD's MP3's JPEG etc.

[www.cyberhome.com]

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: March 31, 2006 20:56

Never worry again if your DVD player will play a DVD.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: March 31, 2006 21:28

Ross, I did get Nero to do a conversion. Thanks. A little different than the method you specified, but it finally did recode and work quite well.

The problem with PAL disks are is they are more difficult to trade. Telling someone they have to go buy a new DVD player won't get you many trades. Better to trade NTSC that play everywhere.

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: March 31, 2006 21:44

I just kinda skimmed the answers but I know some of the cheaper Phillips machines in the USA are NTSC/PAL Playable. I have a machine in Europe that plays NTSC so I never buy PAL, just take over all NTSC (they're a lot cheaper too with all the crazy USA sales all the time + no VAT)

Posted by: keith the second ()
Date: March 31, 2006 22:47

It's very simple. Just go to www.dvdrhelp.com, then go to dvd region hacks, search for your dvd player and probably you will find the hack.
Problem solved.

btw: almost any player is ntsc/pal, it's the region-code you must hack.

Posted by: Promoman ()
Date: April 1, 2006 01:38

All, Thanks a lot for all your inforation. DVDs are sent by snailmail.

We'll find out if she can watch them in time.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 3, 2006 00:20

keith the second Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's very simple. Just go to www.dvdrhelp.com,
> then go to dvd region hacks, search for your dvd
> player and probably you will find the hack.
> Problem solved.

It worked!!! Thank you so much - my kids will be very happy grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1363
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home