Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Jagger's BLUE
Posted by: micawber ()
Date: March 30, 2006 13:13

Sometimes I think CAPITAL-LETTER-DEBRA is just Mick in real life, fighting for his reputation as a musician and songwriter...

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 30, 2006 13:22

Hey, Micawber... Interestin' thought...
And yerself dont happen to be Keith do ya? winking smiley

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 30, 2006 14:45

Lol, Baboon Bro! Btw, how is the snow treating you, still another meter everyday?

I really don't understand why blue isn't on goddes or even Rain Fall Down. The latter really fits on the album.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: March 30, 2006 19:17

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But on the other hand: Biggest Mistake vs. This
> Place Is Empty. No contest. TPIE all the way.
>
>

Biggest Mistake is a song, not Keith writing some random bull because he is Keith and he can do anything, like Losing My Touch!

Seriously, I wouldn't go as far as Debra regarding the brilliance of Mick's solo work-- I don't really like a lot of his solo stuff-- but when Mick and Keith are concerned, the Keith fanboys are too much.... maybe if you stop kissing his ass every once in a while, he'd actually have a reason to be motivated... No wonder the man hasn't done much of note in the past decade, he's pretty much learned he doesn't have to do anything, and there will still be the fanboys that can't wait to start a Mick-bashing.

Mick? He can hardly do anything right, so he keeps trying and trying, and is thus a lot more motivated.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: March 30, 2006 22:22

Rip This, I couldn't agree more and Jumpin Kent, I am as serious as a heart attack about Keith's solo stuff stinking, IMO! It's unpolished alright, quite noisy, hard to listen to and the vocals, oh MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Micawber,if you're trying to irritate me, YOU'RE NOT SUCCEEDING! How about those caps? Looks like I irritate you though! GOOD! I always love to get underneath the skins of malcontents.

Date: March 31, 2006 01:12

Some Girls, that was brilliant! At least now we have a reason why Keith's stuff STINKS! TEE-HEE!

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: March 31, 2006 01:35

ryanpow Wrote:
> Ireland calling, do yo ulike handsome Molly?

'Handsome Molly' -- why yessiree,I be as happy as Hogan's fookin' goat when that gaelic ditty par excelence is playing^^

It's not necessarily 'Mick Bashing' if you have a preference of Keith's solo stuff over Mick's.

For some,Keith's solo output simply rings truer than some of Jagger's,it may be gruff & underproduced compared to a commercial-minded album like 'Goddess',but,some of us prefer that.

Mick & Keith have very different tastes,so,of course their music will sound different. Mick seems more at home in the commercial arena,nothing wrong with that,and,he has made some sterling solo works -- the 'Wandering Spirit' album in particular being excepetional,and,selected tracks from each of the other three albums. As great as 'Wandering Spirit' is,Keith's 'Talk is Cheap' equals it,with some of his finest work -- the soulful 'Make no Mistake',the wistful 'Locked Away',the groove-fest of 'Take it So Hard' -- it's just a raw,soulful & grooving disc,fantastic. The equal of Mick's wodnerful 'Wandering Spirit'.

For what it's worth -- 'Losing My Touch' was my favourite of the 'Lick's tracks,not becuase it's Keith,and to slavishly admire everything he does,but,simply as I love that styl of music,that Hoagy-Carmichael mix of jazz/blues lamenting. It's got a lot more heart & soul than the slick and quite ordinary 'Don't Stop'.

As good a writer as Mick is,Keith equals him,albeit he hasn't been as prolific in the past decade.

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: March 31, 2006 02:22

Keith is the real deal. Finally downloaded Losing My Touch and haven't tired of it yet. Mick's tastes need to be rewound to pre-1980s.

Date: March 31, 2006 02:25

I know you really believe that, Ireland because your post was heartfelt not belligerent however, it just goes to show how differently people view the music they love. I can't find a whole lot that's appealing in the solo efforts of Keith, yet I love him, really! The conclusion is this: if you're a real fan of Mick, you will tend to feel as I do, and if you love the rougher style of Keith, you will not like the slick, polished, skillfully crafted songs of Sir Mick. BUT no one is more correct than the other. It's all very personal , and I notice that every once in awhile someone will deliberately start a Mick vs Keith thread for the fun of it and we always rise to the BAIT!!!

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: March 31, 2006 02:33

well Debra, we need something to kill time in between "discussing" the second guitarists and ripping set lists

Date: March 31, 2006 02:41

I guess that might be part of it!! I can't seem to come up with any ingenius topics lately and complaining about Chuck, set lists and ticket prices are topics that bore me really bad! I do like to stir things up too occasionally but I can't decide on a topic!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 31, 2006 05:59

Meise Wrote:
Most Stones ballads were written
> by Mick, some by Mick and Keith but hardly by
> Keith alone. He IS the ballad man (listen to the
> Toronto tapes or We Had it All) but most of these
> ballads were written by other musicians.
>
> > ________________________________________
>
I dont know if thats necesarilly true. Keith wrote Ruby tuesday, most of Angie, Beast of burden the music of wild horses thru and thru sleep tonight ballads, all ballads. theres more...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-31 06:14 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 31, 2006 06:19

HATE IT WHEN YOU LEAVE...

nothing else to say.

My top Keith solo

YOU DON'T MOVE ME ANYMORE (Saved the Stones)
MAKE NO MISTAKE
YAP YAP
HATE IT WHEN YOU LEAVE

PECMAN

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 31, 2006 08:30

Debra Wrote:
> NO KIDDING! It's what I've been saying for years!
> Keith has NOTHING in his catalog that compares to
> BLUE and much of GODDESS for that matter; NOT just
> MY OPINION, a pure fact.

Nah - Make No Mistake, Take It So Hard - in fact, much of Talk is Cheap trumps anything in Jagger's solo catalogue.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 31, 2006 09:06

interesting topic - i must say, i've been a solo keith fan for almost 20 years and thought he put on a great live show in '92. although i love mick, i've never considered buying any of his solo albums (i've heard some of his new stuff on his website), but now i'm more intrigued and might have to shop online for some Mick CDs. i just can't imagine how it could be better than keith solo, maybe i'm the edgy-er type. i have a cassette tape of talk is cheap in my car and just listen to it over and over and over.

Date: March 31, 2006 11:38

Start with Wandering Spirit - an excellent album.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 31, 2006 13:26

Nikolai Wrote:
> Nah - Make No Mistake, Take It So Hard - in fact,
> much of Talk is Cheap trumps anything in Jagger's
> solo catalogue.

Ever listened to Wandering Spirit?

In fact, we are talking about solo albums which were released more than one decade ago (in case of Talk Is Cheap it is nearly two decades).

Jagger's Blue is just a couple of years old - and in recent years, Keith did not come up with anything even remotedly close to it. Sorry, folks.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-31 13:29 by retired_dog.

Date: March 31, 2006 16:00

So true RETIRED DOG, it looks like Keith's productive years are long gone; ( I say " productive" lightly). Little Queenie, how can you make a choice about which you prefer when you've never heard Jagger's material? If you DO decide to buy Mick's solo catalog, skip " She's The Boss", his first effort. is not the best cd to measure the rest of his work by!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: March 31, 2006 17:15

Seems that Keith is - more or less - resting on his laurels - which is ok with me, one simply cannot force creativity when it's (temporarily?) gone. What I can't stand is this constant Jagger bashing, as if he has got nothing to offer when Keith & Charlie are not participating. Those dull stereotypes like "Blue would be good if Keith and Charlie would play on it" or the like. I don't miss them at all on this track, and I don't miss them on other great Jagger solo tracks either (like Don't Tear Me Up, Wandering Spirit, Evening Gown, God Gave Me Everything and so on).

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: March 31, 2006 17:15

IrelandCalling4 Wrote:
> ryanpow Wrote:
>> It's not necessarily 'Mick Bashing' if you have a
> preference of Keith's solo stuff over Mick's.
>
> For some,Keith's solo output simply rings truer
> than some of Jagger's,it may be gruff &
> underproduced compared to a commercial-minded
> album like 'Goddess',but,some of us prefer that.
>

I totally agree with this-- but i personally and honestly find it REALLY hard to grasp how people can praise the hell out of stuff like Slipping Away, TPIE, How can i Stop, Losing My Touch (sorry!), YOu Dont have to mean it, and then in the same breath bash every single Mick-sung Stones ballad of recent times. WHat the HELL is so awful about Biggest Mistake? WHy is that the prime example of suckage when the only reason people give is that it is a "sappy ballad"? Keith is king of sappy ballads ever since Steel Wheels, and his ballads also have almost NO melody as opposed to Mick's. Okay, so 'melody' may not be a reason people here like a song... but how is TPIE exactly lyrically brilliant or remarkable at all, and why does Biggest Mistake lyrically suck so bad then? Again, I'm sure it's only personal opinion, but I just don't get it.

FUrthermore, while I'll take the gruffness of Keith's albums any day over Let's Work-type stuff, Keith IMO is not a strong enough vocalist to pull off an entire album. My beef with TIC or MO is that EVERY song he sings, he sings in exact same way-- down to the vocal melody almost!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-31 17:19 by Some Girl.

Posted by: Aucoin ()
Date: March 31, 2006 18:12

Keith cannot write a decent song anymore. And he cannot sing. He became a cartoon of himself and sometimes he is really embarassing. Too bad cause to me he once was the coolest @#$%& in Rock 'n Roll. Mick is still creative, productive and full of energy. I am not a Mick fan or Keith basher or something like that. I'm a Rolling Stones fan and what I say is just my opinion.

Date: March 31, 2006 19:55

So Mick wrote all the songs on ABB? Who told ya that?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 31, 2006 20:02

Baboon, have you done yourself the favour, and bought Wandering Spirit, perhaps?
I listened to it again, yesterday, it always surprises me. It's so good.
"Don't Tear Me Up", really remainds me of YCAGWYW.

Date: March 31, 2006 20:57

Baboon Bro Wrote:
> So Mick wrote all the songs on ABB? Who told ya
> that?

ABB is a mess

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 31, 2006 21:27

Debra Wrote:
> So true RETIRED DOG, it looks like Keith's
> productive years are long gone; ( I say "
> productive" lightly). Little Queenie, how can you
> make a choice about which you prefer when you've
> never heard Jagger's material? If you DO decide to
> buy Mick's solo catalog, skip " She's The Boss",
> his first effort. is not the best cd to measure
> the rest of his work by!

i didn't say i had made a choice, i said that i can't imagine mick solo would be better than keith solo

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 1, 2006 00:44

yeah, Ive always liked Dont Tear Me Up. THeres was good preformance of it on SNL. He aslo does Sweet Thing. He was on there to promote wandering spirit in ' 93. thats the same episode where he does a Keith Impression.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 1, 2006 01:40

It's kind of interesting to read all the posts where Keith fans need to bash Mick...........bottom line.....together they have written many amazing songs all of us fans are grateful for.............that partnership seems to have ended or ebbed significantly........... yet Jagger has continued to grow and offer rich, complex, and compelling new material while Richards is only a shadow of his former self.......and the proof is on record.......Mick is driving the band and he has certainly put out better music alone without Keith..........regardless of whether or not some of you like Mick's production values or tastes..........Wandering Spirit ALONE is leaps and bounds better than anything they have done together in 25 years...and Blue was simply surprising....for me.........which brings us back to why I started this post.........

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: April 2, 2006 00:38

well another tread ends up with jagger bashing again.there,s so many stupid jerks on this site,i wonder where they came from.keith,s backyard maybee.
let,s talk about the last thirty guitarsolos from keith and name one good one.there is none,from 1 to number30 they sound the same.
so what,s keith contributions the last twenty years?
many complaints about why they don,t play new material,are keith able to play it?.i don,t think he can anymore,he just play safe songs he can do ,nothing very difficult.

Date: April 2, 2006 02:23

Rip This Wrote:
> It's kind of interesting to read all the posts
> where Keith fans need to bash
> Mick...........bottom line.....together they have
> written many amazing songs all of us fans are
> grateful for.............that partnership seems
> to have ended or ebbed significantly...........
> yet Jagger has continued to grow and offer rich,
> complex, and compelling new material while
> Richards is only a shadow of his former
> self.......and the proof is on record.......Mick
> is driving the band and he has certainly put out
> better music alone without
> Keith..........regardless of whether or not some
> of you like Mick's production values or
> tastes..........Wandering Spirit ALONE is leaps
> and bounds better than anything they have done
> together in 25 years...and Blue was simply
> surprising....for me.........which brings us back
> to why I started this post.........

I agree 100%. Great post.

Date: April 2, 2006 11:18

Aucoin Wrote:
> Baboon Bro Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So Mick wrote all the songs on ABB? Who told
> ya
> > that?
>
>
> ABB is a mess

A mess many reviewers say its the best album since 1972 or 78.

Erik: Someone will get it for me. Comments next week.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1484
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home