Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

New Stones Quiz - MICK JAGGER VERSION
Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: March 29, 2006 00:51

Will try to keep it short:

#1.WILD HORSES is about whom?

#2.How'd Mick Come up with the idea/concept for SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL?

#3.What other bands were on the bill at ALTAMONT?

#4.Who's RESPECTABLE about?

#5.Before the recording of ABB Mick was having his London home remodeled. Because of that he stayed in a London Hotel. Which One? What was his total bill for a month?

#6.Name the entire Set List for Mick's Live Aid Show

#7.In an Interview a few years back (Rolling Stone I think) he actually made fun of an old Stones song and Joked about playing it live (obviously he had zero respect for it and will never include it in a show) Name that tune.

#8.What rarely played Stones song did he do at that one off concert for WANDERING SPIRIT in NYC (Webster Hall - was it?)

#9.What hotel does Mick use when in LA ?

#10.Name the 2 warm up songs the Stones played for Rock and Roll Circus that are not in the Film. Were they filmed at all? (the sound was definitely recorded)

BONUS 1: Name the very old Stones song that was reworked in the Tokyo Studio (during the "Stripped" sessions) and has only surfaced on some obscure soundtrack album.

BONUS 2 : In a recent interview which musician that had died too early did Mick say he misses the most?

Re: New Stones Quiz - MICK JAGGER VERSION
Date: March 29, 2006 01:30

Come on, where's the BRAINIAC'S !?!?!?!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 29, 2006 02:47

OK, I think i can actually answer some of these

1. marlon richards.

2. a novel he read about the devil (thats the best I can do)

3. flying burrito bros. santatana. jefferson airplane. the dead were supposed to but they opped out.

4. bianca

5. ----? Im sure it was expensive. the hotel tax is outragous.

6. I think IORR and honkey tonk women maybe? dancing in the street with bowie, was that part of it?

the rest are too hard. its all guesses from this point on.

well, I tried.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-29 02:57 by ryanpow.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 29, 2006 02:51

MicksBrain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> #7.In an Interview a few years back (Rolling Stone
> I think) he actually made fun of an old Stones
> song and Joked about playing it live (obviously he
> had zero respect for it and will never include it
> in a show) Name that tune.
>

Jumpin' Jack Flash

> #8.What rarely played Stones song did he do at
> that one off concert for WANDERING SPIRIT in NYC
> (Webster Hall - was it?)

Have You Seen Yer Mother, Baybee
>
> #9.What hotel does Mick use when in LA ?

The Memory Hotel

>
> #>
> BONUS 1: Name the very old Stones song that was
> reworked in the Tokyo Studio (during the
> "Stripped" sessions) and has only surfaced on some
> obscure soundtrack album.

Honest I Do (it's not a Stones song, though, but a Jimmy Reed chestnut
>
> BONUS 2 : In a recent interview which musician
> that had died too early did Mick say he misses the
> most?
>

Tiny Tim

Date: March 29, 2006 04:19

ryanpow and T&A, Not bad, both of you got a couple right. OK # 4 is correct #3 is very good but there's at least one band missing #8 is correct #2 needs a bit more info if possible and Bonus #1 is correct with "Honest I Do" (I knew it was a cover I just couldn't remember the original and was too lazy to pull it). Good job, let's see how the other side of the planet does.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: March 29, 2006 04:44

#2 - Sympathy was inspired by the novel "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov.

#5 - Claridges in Mayfair. I don't remember how long he was there, but the total bill was something like 800,000 GBP.

Date: March 29, 2006 04:55

OK lamemodem2 (that's one great name BTW) #2 was correct but I also was hoping someone would add that Marianne Faithful had turned him on to all these books during that period

#5 The amount I heard on the radio / TV news one day was $1,000,000.00 (One Million US) for a month which is a bit less then what you have. What's 1 million dollars in GBP? About 600,000 - 650,000 GBP I think, is that close?. Whoever announced it was blown away. That's why I remember it.

Posted by: dj ()
Date: March 29, 2006 05:01

Did anyone get #7?

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 29, 2006 05:31

MicksBrain Wrote:
Will try to keep it short:

Since none of the true Stones brainiacs have answered, I'll throw in a couple of my guesses. Is it cheating to look these up first? I prefer to do these off the top of my head.

#1.WILD HORSES is about whom?

In Tony Sanchez's book, they say it's about when Marianne was in the coma after her suicide attempt. Keith says it's about Anita.
>
#2.How'd Mick Come up with the idea/concept for SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL?

Master & the Margarita as lamemodem wrote. Good read.

#3.What other bands were on the bill at ALTAMONT? Jefferson Airplane, Burrito Bros, Grateful Dead, don't remember any others. Joan Baez pops into mind too, but only vaguely.

#4.Who's RESPECTABLE about? Bianca

# 5.Before the recording of ABB Mick was having his London home remodeled. Because of that he stayed in a London Hotel. Which One? What was his total bill for a month?
Claridges - someone wrote the amount in an earlier post, but I wouldn't know about that, just the hotel name.

#6.Name the entire Set List for Mick's Live Aid Show

Lonely at the Top, Just Another Night, State of Shock with Tina, think there was one more, but don't remember.

> #7.In an Interview a few years back (Rolling Stone I think) he actually made fun of an old Stones song and Joked about playing it live (obviously he had zero respect for it and will never include it in a show) Name that tune.

There's that famous quote of him saying he wouldn't want to be singing Satisfaction at 50 or 60, but it can't be that one obviously. So I don't know.

#8.What rarely played Stones song did he do at that one off concert for WANDERING SPIRIT in NYC (Webster Hall - was it?)

I couldn't get a ticket - DONT REMIND ME!!!

#9.What hotel does Mick use when in LA ? Not sure, the Peninsula, Four Seasons or what's that Japanese one Nikko or something like that. I don't think he does the Marmont.

10.Name the 2 warm up songs the Stones played for Rock and Roll Circus that are not in the Film. Were they filmed at all? (the sound was definitely recorded)
No clue

BONUS 1: Name the very old Stones song that was reworked in the Tokyo Studio (during the "Stripped" sessions) and has only surfaced on some obscure soundtrack album.

BONUS 2 : In a recent interview which musician that had died too early did Mick say he misses the most? Lennon?

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Date: March 29, 2006 05:34

I read that Wild Horses was origionally written as a lullaby by Keith Richards to his sun. but then mick re wrote all the lyrics. so my answer was wrong becasue the wild horses that we know is something different.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: March 29, 2006 05:35

4. The Stones themselves, a comment about their new-found jet set respectability in the seventies.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Date: March 29, 2006 05:40

yeah, gut thats right . "heroin with the president" - they were invited to be guests at the white house I think , on the 75 tour but they declined. bianca was haning out with Fords Son. hence, "easiest lay on the white house lawn".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-29 05:43 by ryanpow.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: March 29, 2006 06:15

MicksBrain:

As swanky as Claridges is, I don't think there's any one room/suite that's 1 million dollars a month. I remember the reports were that his final bill was for more than 1 million USD, something maybe close to 1.5 million, for a stay of several months. I remeber because the hotel manager was quoted as saying Jagger was a good customer, so he got small a discount.

And I know this is wrong, but I can't stop thinking the answer to BONUS #2 is Hendrix.

CindyC:

Didn't Jagger sing IORR with Tina? And didn't he play "Just Another Night" and "Miss You" on his own? I don't remember "Lonely at the Top." Are you sure he played that one?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-29 06:18 by lamemodem2.

Date: March 29, 2006 06:54

Hey everybody done good, CindyC came in with the most correct ones. OK, let's see - I'll read from bottom to top.

#6 Set list for Live Aid : LONELY AT THE TOP (not on the official DVD set)/JUST ANOTHER NIGHT/MISS YOU/STATE OF SHOCK + bit of IORR (both with Tina)

Bonus #1 HONEST I DO Bonus #2 JOHN LENNON (CindyC had that one)

#10 ROUTE 66 / CONFESSIN'THE BLUES (Rock and Roll Circus warm up songs. Not sure if filmed but sound was recorded) would have fit nicely with the rest of the songs.

#9 Mick's Hotel in LA - FOUR SEASONS

#8 HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR MOTHER BABY,STANDING IN THE SHADOW (plus I believe LIVE WITH ME - but that's not the rare one)

#7 DANDILION (Did I spell that right? Looks wrong) Mick SURE made fun of that one - no respect for the Flower Power days !!

#6 SEE ABOVE

#5 I BELIEVE THE BILL INCLUDED ALL ROOM SERVICE AND ALL ALCOHOL, BOTTLES OF WINE ETC. (Might be wrong)

#4 RESPECTABLE the way I heard it is it's about Bianca (plus her fling with Jack Ford, son of Pres Ford). In fact so is LIES, SOME GIRLS (Mostly) and others on the album. I would sum up Some Girls as Bianca, New York, Studio 54 (or Disco influence)

#3 I'm 99% sure Crosby, Stills, and Nash (don't think they played. remember the close relationship with Stills in LA right before the 69 tour - playing/jamming/practicing at his house ,etc)

#2 was covered above, way above - correct

#1 Marianne F.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: March 29, 2006 16:40

===#3 I'm 99% sure Crosby, Stills, and Nash (don't think they played. remember the close relationship with Stills in LA right before the 69 tour - playing/jamming/practicing at his house ,etc)=====

Don't forget Jefferson Airplane ("I'd like to thank the Hells Angels for punching out our lead singer") and the Flying Buritto Brothers

========#4 RESPECTABLE the way I heard it is it's about Bianca (plus her fling with Jack Ford, son of Pres Ford). In fact so is LIES, SOME GIRLS (Mostly) and others on the album. I would sum up Some Girls as Bianca, New York, Studio 54 (or Disco influence) =======

All that Bianca/New York stuff and their jet set respectablility....plus a slap in the face to the punks that the Stones still had it.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 29, 2006 16:44

I only know 2, sorry!

MicksBrain Wrote:
> Will try to keep it short:
>
> #1.WILD HORSES is about whom?

Keith wrote that one about his family because he had to leave them to go on tour.

> #3.What other bands were on the bill at ALTAMONT?

Can only think of Jefferson Airplane.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 29, 2006 17:05

MicksBrain Wrote:
> Will try to keep it short:
>
> #1.WILD HORSES is about whom?

Keith wrote it, it was about how he hated to leave Anita and Marlon when he had to go on tour. Then Jagger changed almost all the lyrics. Marianne Faithfull took a overdosis of sleeping pils in Australia, Jagger asked here not leave him and she said "Wild Horses couldn't drag me away from you"
>
> #2.How'd Mick Come up with the idea/concept for
> SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL?

Master & the Margarita
>
> #3.What other bands were on the bill at ALTAMONT?

Jefferson Airplane, Burrito Bros, Grateful Dead and some chick if i remember correctly
>
> #4.Who's RESPECTABLE about?

Don't know
>
> #5.Before the recording of ABB Mick was having his
> London home remodeled. Because of that he stayed
> in a London Hotel. Which One? What was his total
> bill for a month?
>
A bit to high if you'd asked me

> #6.Name the entire Set List for Mick's Live Aid
> Show
Just another Night, State of Shock and Miss You

>
> #7.In an Interview a few years back (Rolling Stone
> I think) he actually made fun of an old Stones
> song and Joked about playing it live (obviously he
> had zero respect for it and will never include it
> in a show) Name that tune.

Don't know

>
> #8.What rarely played Stones song did he do at
> that one off concert for WANDERING SPIRIT in NYC
> (Webster Hall - was it?)
>
Have you seen your mother baby, standing in the shadow

> #9.What hotel does Mick use when in LA ?
>
> #10.Name the 2 warm up songs the Stones played for
> Rock and Roll Circus that are not in the Film.
> Were they filmed at all? (the sound was definitely
> recorded)
>
> BONUS 1: Name the very old Stones song that was
> reworked in the Tokyo Studio (during the
> "Stripped" sessions) and has only surfaced on some
> obscure soundtrack album.
>
No Expectations? Honest I Do? Let's spend the Night togehter?

> BONUS 2 : In a recent interview which musician
> that had died too early did Mick say he misses the
> most?
>
John Lennon

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: March 29, 2006 17:10

re: #6 Live Aid

Though not strictly part of the live set, should we include the 'Dancing in the Street' video with David Bowie ?

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: March 29, 2006 19:04

#3 Altamont

according to Graham Nash:

"people refuse to believe that CSN&Y were at Altamont, the reason being that the Stones wrote the history of that. We were received very well, but we got the hell out of there because we played at UCLA that same night. Consequently, when you don't stick around and do the press afterward, people don't have any idea that you were there. So, we were quite happy to give that one to the Stones."

- reprinted courtesy of Chet Flippo on [www.alpha.nl]

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 29, 2006 19:10

the CSNY recording from Altamont has circulated for many years and that confirms 100% that they did play

Date: March 29, 2006 19:38

So if C,S,N,and Y were "scared shitless" at Woodstock what would they be at Altamont ? - bahahahahahaha (puking between songs)

So, ALL the answers are up there - WAY UP THERE. I just fill in the empty slots if someone above has gotten the rest of them correct. CindyC did a pretty good job. The tough one seemed to be the ROCK AND ROLL CIRCUS warm up songs which surprises me cause I know they're on a bootleg somewhere.Does the Black and White alternative version bootleg video have ROUTE 66 and CONFESSIN' THE BLUES on it?

DANCING IN THE STREET Video at Live Aid with Bowie? You can add that but a bit of a stretch I think

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home