Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bobby Womack & the Stones
Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 24, 2006 00:13

Been getting into Womack more deeply recently, both his songwriting & guitar playing, and most of us probably know a couple connections: The RS covered (to Sam Cooke's delight, but not - at first - Bobby's) 'It's All Over Now,' Bobby appears on 'Harlem Suffle' (& Dirty Work outtakes), and co-produced/sings/plays on Ron Wood's "Now Look" (similar role as Keith's on RW's debut). A good compilation btw of the 1967 - 76 period is the highly recommended 2-cd "Anthology" (2003). Bobby also recorded what I think is the only album issued on Ron Wood's short-lived Slide label, "Resurrection" (1994) w/ Ron, Keith, & Charlie on some tracks (anybody know if this is truly the only Slide release? distributing label Continuum went under soon after the disc appeared). Wood also did the cover art to Bobby's so-so 1989 album "Save the Children" ('To Ronnie Wood & wife Jo: I will love you 'til the end of time...'). Checking out the recently remastered Sam Cooke comp 'Havin' a Good Time' (along w/ 'Night Beat,' my fave Sam) was knocked out by how Bobby's guitar work was already distinctive in 1963-64. BW also wrote many classic songs & plays guitar all over several Wilson Pickett albums, Aretha's early Atlantic classics ('Lady Soul' etc), the Box Tops' great albums, and other classic soul out of American or Fame studios. And Bobby is quite distinctly playing guitar on what may be my fave album after Exile, Sly & the Family Stone's "There's a Riot Goin' On." Then there's a cool collaboration with jazz guitarist Gabor Szabo I no longer own but would sure like to have again...

Re: Bobby Womack & the Stones
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 24, 2006 00:21

Right on!!!! I think bobby Womack ,is really cool..and he was a strong power on ''Dirty work''!!!

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: March 24, 2006 01:01

Saw BW warm-up for the Stones in Buffalo, Aug '75...was realll good!

Posted by: todd40fla ()
Date: March 24, 2006 01:19

i saw him warm up for the stones in d.c. in 81........

very cool

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: March 24, 2006 01:45

I was at all 3 of those '81 D.C. shows (Dec. 7-8-9), and I never could remember WHO opened...Thanks!!!

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: March 24, 2006 03:58

Let's not forget Bobby Womack touring with the Faces on their last tour, Fall of 1975. Not sure if he appeared at evert show, but he came on-stage with them in Atlanta and played guitar and sang back-up. Jesse Ed Davis (RIP) was also with the Faces on that last tour. john r, you mentioned the DW outtakes,love the song "Strickly Memphis." It should have been on DW.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 24, 2006 04:31

kienan, I'd like to get the DW outtakes with "Strictly Memphis" as well as the outtakes with "Claudine". Thanks as always. The CD's you made are excellent.

SK

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: March 24, 2006 04:38

I picked up a BW comp that was released in continental Europe. I got it from the Westchester Library system here in the greater nyc area. It's called "Lookin for a love" and it's awesome. I just scored it like 3 days ago. I feel ashamed that I never got into him earlier. Of course I love the Wicked Pickett (my favourite soul singer probably of all time next to Jcool smiley.

On some of the tracks on this cd, it sounds like Ronnie Wood is playing on them but now that you mention it, it is probably Bobby Womack himself.

Ronnie and Bobby surely had a mutual admiration society going on à la Dylan and Cash.

Late

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: March 24, 2006 04:55

Elmo! I have not forgot ya! I just got back into town. I will let you "borrow" a few. Should be able to get them done by next week. Love the Cds you let me "borrow".

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 24, 2006 05:15

Kienan, I saw that last Faces tour w/ Jesse Ed Davis on 2nd guitar, 3 months after the Stones w/ Ron W. Had no idea Bobby played with them onstage (figured he just opened), which must have been very cool. "Now Look" is a great collaboration and you can hear the Womack influence on some of those late period Faces tracks ("As Long As You Tell Him").

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 24, 2006 07:00

Bobby Womack!!!

john r, you are a kindred spirit!

I agree that the Anthology collection is an excellent intro to The Womack. (Try to find the earlier version with the same tracks called Midnight Mover--The Bobby Womack Collection (Bobby Womack Story on the spine!) I like the packaging better on that one. Great tracks like "What Is This" (which Peter Guralnick called The Rolling Stones meets The Four Tops), "What You Gonna Do (When Your Love is Gone)", "Woman's Gotta Have It" "It's Gonna Rain" and "The Preacher/More Than I Can Stand" live medley...and that's just some of disc one.

I've seen Bobby in concert a few times--the first time (in '82)as I was walking through the door I literally ran into Bobby Keyes! The last time, two years ago, was probably the best. Like our beloved Stones, the guy can still burn it down.

The Valentinos version of "It's All Over Now" is an eye-opener for anyone who grew up on the Stones (or Faces) version. What a great groove.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 24, 2006 07:25

Aw yeah early Bobby Womack is great soul....Broadway Walk...What Is This...I'm In Love...I'm A Midnight Mover....If You Dont Want My Love...cool stuff

Valentinos L-R Bobby - Cecil- Friendly Jnr - Harry - Curtis

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1259
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home