Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The post 2006 Stones?
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 23, 2006 14:47

What will the Roling Stones do once the tour is over? More important: what should they do acoording to you?

a) Focus on recording new material / no tour.
b) New album, new world tour a la Bigger Bang
c) new album, theatre tour
d) no new album, open the vaults
e) blues album / record favourite cover songs
f) solo projects, wel'll meet again in a couple of years

I think another gigantic world tour with these prices would fail to be succesfull in Europe, Japan and Europe. A rock album like A Bigger Bang will sell probably even less.

So, I would say: focus on a new album (with a new producer), no single releases (no point), include some favourite covers and go on a small theatre (maybe some arena's, but mostly theatres) and dig up songs which are never done before. Give some warhorses a rest. Tours wouldn;t as long as they do now, so more time for different projects and recording sessions. Even solo projects.

Most important: don't aim at the big $ anymore, but on the music and the fun of recording and playing great music.

BTW: no whining intended here, it's great to sttill have the opportunity to see The Stones play!

Re: The post 2006 Stones?
Posted by: todd40fla ()
Date: March 23, 2006 14:51

i like what you say....wish it would happen...but fear you are dreaming....

the stones will always pull out one or two oldies for us to enjoy...but at this point i doubt they would ever do anything that does not reap the reward of big $$$$$.

it $uck$ but it'$ true!

and with the ticket sales they have achieved on this tour...why would you assume that they could not do it again in a few years....assuming and hoping everyone is healthy.....

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 23, 2006 14:53

todd40fla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i like what you say....wish it would happen...but
> fear you are dreaming....
>
> the stones will always pull out one or two oldies
> for us to enjoy...but at this point i doubt they
> would ever do anything that does not reap the
> reward of big $$$$$.
>
> it $uck$ but it'$ true!
>
> and with the ticket sales they have achieved on
> this tour...why would you assume that they could
> not do it again in a few years....assuming and
> hoping everyone is healthy.....

I'd pretty much agree with that. Lovely thoughts n' all that, but like todd40fla says, likelihood of it happening I don't think is good, sorry to say.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 23, 2006 14:56

new 'stripped down, back to basics' album,
produced by either Rick Rubin or Jack White

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 23, 2006 15:02

todd40fla Wrote:
> i like what you say....wish it would happen...but
> fear you are dreaming....
>
> the stones will always pull out one or two oldies
> for us to enjoy...but at this point i doubt they
> would ever do anything that does not reap the
> reward of big $$$$$.
>
> it $uck$ but it'$ true!
>
> and with the ticket sales they have achieved on
> this tour...why would you assume that they could
> not do it again in a few years....assuming and
> hoping everyone is healthy.....

Well, you said it yourself: health and ageing issues. They're health isn't going to be anny better in a couple of years if another possible tour kicks off.

Do you think another stadium tour of about a year is possible with these prices?

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 23, 2006 15:33

I actually don´t hope anything.This MUST be their last tour.Even this one is TOO
long.They are not up for,to play top notch shows anymore.They are simply too
old to do that.I think,only 1 of 10 shows,is very good one.IF they do anything
after this one,i hope only few shows here and there.And no more ABB kind of albums,as it isn´t good enough.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 23, 2006 16:12

God does this get boring!
Read the flippin reviews from people who've actually been!!!
Read the press reviews.... I've yet to find a bad one of any show.
Most if not all reviews of ABB are glowing, stating the best album in years....

Whats up with ya! Enjoy the Stones as a working band..... and STILL one of the best there is!

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: March 23, 2006 17:32

Business as usual until one of them passes. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 50 Licks tour.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 23, 2006 17:52

Most of the reviews I read are very good but most of them seem to mention something about the set lists being the same every tour with too many hits or should I say the same hits. So at least for me I would like to see them focus on a new album with more blues, country and acoustic but still have some rockers. Than a smaller tour with arenas and theaters where they can focus on the music and play a nice mix of songs from past to present.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 23, 2006 18:00

i like to see a follow up album..a new rock and roll album...i think it could be better than bigger bang.. they are hot now and a new album could be even better..

i also like to see them in late 07 a new tour..play more free shows..and bigger places and offer lower tix prices..this would give the younger fans a chance to see them.. make it more of a party tour..
but at least a new album...time waits for no one!

Posted by: jseb ()
Date: March 23, 2006 18:13

i think the way they have to take is to go to recording studios 2 or 3 months after the end of the tour and to think about a new album : a bigger bang showed they still can make some good rock'n'roll, now we're already waiting for an album with REALLY GOOD rock'n'roll, with more inspired songs and no more funk music

Date: March 23, 2006 18:32

and no more slow country/blues numbers from keith...we have enough...ha..
it only rock and roll but i like it!!! yes i do.

Posted by: pedromilfont ()
Date: March 23, 2006 18:36

New Album and heavy touring in Latin America

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: March 23, 2006 18:42

Seriously, until they stop placing commercial considerations first and foremost, I cannot forsee much beyond a situation where they end up becoming little short of an embarassment.

Unlike Dylan, Young and Springsteen, who can continue performing without any loss of artistic credibility, the Stones have not had any breathing space within which to adapt, and enough warning signs are now in place to suggest that they have gone past the stage where they will ever be able to do so.

Solo albums are a possibility of course, even dodgy film appearances perhaps, but artistically, such projects will never be taken seriously by anybody outside of these fan sites.

It could have been different, but instead, we're still engaged in meaningless drivel about millions of dollars here and millions of fans there. The Music Industry should never ever have got into this rotten state, where this is all that matters to people.

Forty Licks (a shoddy collection of remastered, edited tracks) is their legacy I'm afraid.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 23, 2006 18:43

What "should" they do? I don't think any of us are in a position to advise, so I'll respond with what I think they "will" do.

I really can't imagine them being bothered making another album, frankly. Took 'em 8 years to get off their collective arses for what turned out to be a footnote of an album. Can anyone honestly believe they'll be bothered again?

So, the real question would be if no new album, then can we really expect another full-scale tour? Unlikely, I would think.

I actually do believe that 2006 will mark the beginning of the end of the band as we know them in terms of tour cycles, etc.

I think you'll see, at long last, a focus on the "retirement" era, where Mick will finally begin to in earnest look at the back catalogue and unreleased vaults for opportunities to start the retirement funds in motion.

And, maybe that's not all such a bad thing. They've had a great, great run.

Date: March 23, 2006 18:54

i read the same thing at the end of the 1972 tour and the 75 tours etc...the bigger bang tour showed the stones are still the very best..bigger bang also shows that jagger/richards still have it...3,000,000 cd sales and a record setting world tour...why should they give up? while they are hot..make a new album.

Date: March 23, 2006 19:12

they have given so much. I think we'll see, after this tour, renewed focus on the Stones' outside/other interests..Mick's film company; possibly a role in a movie or two...Charlie back to playing jazz; Ronnie and Keith rounding up some folks to record.
in 2009, we can hope for rumors to start about another Stones tour! I hope they do it (of course) but Man thats a lot to hope for.
DR

Date: March 23, 2006 19:14

Flip me...I kinda agree with T&A! Christ I need a lie down.....

;-)

Date: March 23, 2006 19:18

oh no! I must rethink my position, then!

Date: March 23, 2006 19:19

Ahhh, good to see THAT bubble burst then ya ol toss bag!

;-0

Date: March 23, 2006 19:22

in all seriousness, though - I do think it's perhaps not a wise thing for them to consider even one more go-round. Although I would certainly argue that each tour since the mid-90's has witnessed a gradual decline in playing ability overall (I realize many of you would not agree with that assessment), it hasn't reached the point where they are embarrassing themselves - but that day would eventually come....3 years? 5 years? Nobody wants that. They could call it a career after this tour and hold their heads high. It's like professional athletes - ya gotta know when it's your time. I think it's sooner than later for our heroes.

Date: March 23, 2006 19:29

Flip me.... thats twice in one day now!!!

Yeah, I also believe that it would be great to go out at the top. But I suspect, along with the Macca's, Tom Jones, etc etc that they won't

I also believe that its not all about money and the fact that after 40 years they still enjoy playing and the thrill of a live crowd etc. etc

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 23, 2006 19:48

What I'd like to see happen: Stones record another album, play theaters only in 08-09, then put out another hits collection with a few new songs, celebrate 50th anniversary with another Licks-like stadium tour in 2011-12. Then they retire and start issuing stuff from the vaults.

What I predict will happen: Everything I just said, except I think that instead of the arena tour we'd all like in 08-09 it'll be another greatest hits stadium tour like ABB. Which is still pretty good but of course most of us would prefer smaller venues if we had a choice. Which we don't.

I think they can go another six years at the level they are at now. They're tough old bastards; no one ever dreamed they could take it this far. They don't seem inclined to give up. If Charlie quits after this tour or the next one, I think they'll get Jim Keltner or somebody else and keep going.

I personally feel it's not the Stones without Charlie, but I think they'd do it in a heartbeat. Mick can go another six years easy, and lots of people have lost betting against Keith's survival as well. As for Ronnie, I wouldn't necessarily like to see them go on without him but I bet they'd do it if they had to. They'll do whatever it takes to make 50 years because that would be such an unbelieveable amazing feat and a fitting ending to their storied career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-23 19:50 by ohnonotyouagain.

Date: March 23, 2006 19:53

Replace Charlie.... gimme a break!!!!

Date: March 23, 2006 19:55

you're wearing your heart on your sleeve, onnya...good for you.

Date: March 23, 2006 19:56

ablett Wrote:
> Replace Charlie.... gimme a break!!!!

i hear ya - except Keith said they'd do just that in an '05 interview. gasp.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 23, 2006 20:05

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and suggest that whatever decision they make, it'll probably be viewed by the majority as something approaching the right one. Their legacy is unquestionably an issue, I think it's equally unquestionable that they're only too well aware of it. Maybe the reason they're not seen to be addressing it quite at this moment is simply because they don't see a need to do so, at least not quite yet perhaps ? They'll possibly get round to that later ..... so to say ? That in itself would suggest that they might not be thinking of hanging up live performances just yet. The precise "nature" of however many live performances that remain in them is altogether another question; whether another round of stadiums or the gradual scaling down of things. Also, in this context, the choice of material they might wish to perform. I find it hard to believe they're not thinking all this out for themselves. I do believe they are, I do believe they'll opt for some kind of balance between all the forces in play; namely commercial considerations, their own abilities/limitations to perform, etc etc. They'll do as good a job I believe as anyone in their very privileged position might be able to.

The other thing is, I feel reasonably confident that they do actually recognise "fan expectations" to a degree, and that in due course the vaults will open and stuff will emerge. They're just mortal human being at the end of it all, they succumb to vanity, pride ..... all that good stuff; just like the rest of us. They'll get round to working out a plan that'll contribute in good measure towards the way they'll be remembered, at least by those that loved 'em for some 45-50 years ?

I'm just dreading the day when they ain't there, when they REALLY are gone !

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 23, 2006 20:06

T&A Wrote:
> you're wearing your heart on your sleeve,
> onnya...good for you.

Mostly I just think Jagger is too greedy to quit before raking in a couple of more big paydays. He'll keep the band going if he has to have Keith stuffed and tied to the micstand while Blondie plays his licks backstage.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: March 23, 2006 20:07

bb king is still going?? they will go till they die!!

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: March 23, 2006 20:10

I think they should do a reggae or cover song album.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home