Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: What's the chance they play Wembley?
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 23, 2006 18:33

Changing venues is nothing new to the Stones. When the Montreal ice storm forced them to cancel the stadium show there Jan 1998 they rescheduled into two arena shows in Montreal during the spring. How they changed tickets and seats I don't know; probably some sort of refund/relase procedure.

Bjornulf

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 23, 2006 18:50

But the Montreal Olympic Stadium can hold more people than 2x Bell Centre (Molson Centre in 98). So it was kind of the reverse sitution compared to Wembley/Twickenham.

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 23, 2006 19:27

Adrian-L that was great! lol

I too am awaiting this situation. Fortunately I am also going to Sheffield and Cardiff and they're already built

I think we keep an eye out on the Bon Jovi homepage! Oh My God!

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: March 23, 2006 21:19

Sheffield ****Home of Oily**** Your Time Has Come.

I drive past beautiful Don Valley everyday and can't believe that they are playing there yet again!!!

OK, it looks like a DIY plumbing and concrete nightmare, but this is the UK CLUB SHOW!!!! BELIEVE ME!!!!

Remember last time? Great wet fun.

Mick and the boys love it - pre gig snifters in the Cocked Hat, curry in the Indus after, then over the road for twenty quid massage and handjob....even on a Bank Holiday Sunday.

Welcome to Sheffield, Oily.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: March 23, 2006 22:57

OILY_DIPSTICK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> OK, it looks like a DIY plumbing and concrete
> nightmare, but this is the UK CLUB SHOW!!!!
> BELIEVE ME!!!!
>
> Remember last time? Great wet fun.

I remember wondering what it must have taken to have every sink in the men's toilet overflowing w/ pis*!

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: March 23, 2006 23:36

Hahaha............just like old Wembley.

The music was good though!

Oily.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 24, 2006 01:33

bv Wrote:
> Changing venues is nothing new to the Stones. When
> the Montreal ice storm forced them to cancel the
> stadium show there Jan 1998 they rescheduled into
> two arena shows in Montreal during the spring. How
> they changed tickets and seats I don't know;
> probably some sort of refund/relase procedure.
>
> Bjornulf

apart from erikjjf's explanation above, I would suggest that theres an additional problem in that in 1998 all the tickets were the same price

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 24, 2006 03:41

I keep hoping that at least they move to Twicks, because I have built an entire two week schedule around thsoe two Wembley Dates, row 1 and row 13. Money has been spent...I think many of us have plans ro travel and have invested a chunk of change into this.

I have had my share of cancelled and rescehduled shows; during Licks I was already in China before they rescheduled Hong Kong and cancelled Beiing and Shanghai, but this is really a nightmare!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 24, 2006 07:52

The Stones should inform us asap. E.g. I don't know why Bon Jovi hasn't cancelled his gig now

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 24, 2006 08:05

how about a 200 night residency at the Astoria?

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: March 24, 2006 08:51

too much money invested in future events it is in their best interest to complete construction

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 24, 2006 09:21

stonedmike Wrote:
> > too much money invested in future events it is
> in their best interest to complete construction

Agreed, even if it ISN'T in their best interests, it damm well OUGHT to be. But if these 'orrible stories about months and months worth of shit pipe digging up and relaying are even half true; it doesn't really bode well - does it ? After all, as well we know, time waits for no-one.

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: March 24, 2006 09:30

Don't panic by now they will find a solution and if it's Twickenham some will be missed out I assume.
I did not understand why they did not make it to Twickenham at first. I liked it there.
Anyway we will get these concerts.
Don't be to pessimistic.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: March 24, 2006 10:49

>Don't be to pessimistic.

Not pessimistic but realistic.

Date: March 24, 2006 11:20

Met a friend of mine for a drink last night.......she 'works' (can't be more specific than that) at the Multiplex office in Berkeley Square. (For those not aware, Multiplex are the Aussie building contractors) Anyway, I hesitantly broached the topic with her and mentioned the 'W' word. After coming out with the Corporate line of how overblown the Press reports are and that the incident with the girder was something about nothing, blah blah blah. She said she couldn't give me any definitive answer about the Stones shows......however, it was known months ago that the FA Cup wasn't going to happen. Another glass of wine later.....Bon Jovi ain't happening and nor are the Take That shows....but what about the Stones? I asked, pouring another glass of wine.....of course there has to be time for several 'practice' events in order to check security and evacuation procedures before any 'real' events can be held there she offered....yes, so what are you saying? She said "you know I can't tell you that, but you've got tickets for other shows so what are you worrying about?"

Sorry, I can't offer anything more definitve guys, but draw your own conclusions!!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 24, 2006 11:40

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
> Sorry, I can't offer anything more definitve guys,
> but draw your own conclusions!!

It would be great, if all the safety checks etc were carried out and Wembley saw in a new era with The Stones.
But as your conversation with your friend, demonstrates-
Wembley in August looks bleak, to say the least.

Date: March 24, 2006 11:55

<<She said "you know I can't tell you that, but you've got tickets for other shows so what are you worrying about?">>

Er yes, that's the bit I don't like.

There's a definite suggestion there that perhaps you should be "consoled" by the fact that you're gonna see them elsewhere, in other words that so doing should go some way towards "compensating" you for perhaps NOT seeing them at Wembley ? Well that's how I would interpret what she was saying anyway ! You should have fed here wine by the BOTTLE, not the f***ing glass !!! That's where you went wrong !!!

F*** !! Everywhere you look these days for info/news/updates re Wembley, all that seems to emerge is bad news.

Hang Tony (I'm a useless pillock) Blair from the mizzen mast in Parliament Square, that's my suggestion. It might not guarantee that the Stones play Wembley, but it would make me feel better, give tourists in central london something new to look at, and serve to extend the 6 o clock news bulletin. Can't be bad !

Date: March 24, 2006 12:02

i bet any remaining, Sheffield, Cardiff and Glasgow tickets get snapped up in double-quick time, long before an official "Wembley is off" announcement.

Date: March 24, 2006 12:10

Yeh, even though a lot of the Brits in her office would love to see the Stones have the opening shows there, it does seem very questionable. She is quite media-savvy and consequently is always tight-lipped about saying anything about anything regarding the 'W' place!

By the way, Adrian-L/paulywaul are you guys going to the Carlo Little show and have you seen the advance Stones auction lots? Some cool stuff.

Date: March 24, 2006 12:22

yes- will be at York House, on sunday night..very much looking forward to it.

Kinda hoping, other local residents, such as Townsend, turn up un-announced.

No doubt, i'll be looking on enviously, as the Stones auction lots, go for silly- money.

Date: March 24, 2006 12:44

>
> By the way, Adrian-L/paulywaul are you guys going
> to the Carlo Little show and have you seen the
> advance Stones auction lots? Some cool stuff.
>
>

No, regrettably I'm not going. I'm currently stuck on an exploration survey operation in southwestern Algeria - mutter mutter moan moan !! But I'm sure Adrian-L will represent me well ......... won't you my good man and fellow SW Londoner ? And give that Art Wood a slap for me, he's got to be more reliable and play more often these days ! What's the matter with him, lazy sod !

Date: March 24, 2006 12:51

I will happily and gracefully, accept the offer of representing the
'SW London IORR Chapter', at this prestigous event.

I wonder how much Keith's guitar pick will go for? I might have a punt for that, can't imagine a fully signed t-shirt or Charlie-signed drumsticks are within my meagre budget.
And as for auctioned Wembley tickets-
yeah, like, cos that events going to happen!!

Date: March 24, 2006 13:01

Might catch you there, Adrian-L.....as another SW Londoner!
The RS in-store sampler album looks interesting...

Date: March 24, 2006 13:05

> Might catch you there, Adrian-L.....as another SW
> Londoner!
> The RS in-store sampler album looks
> interesting...
>
>

This is interesting. We have Kingston, Twickers, so where in SW London Manofwealthandtaste ?

Date: March 24, 2006 13:19

A bit more into town......Fulham

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 24, 2006 15:56

The only decent alternative would be for the Stones to turn the 2 Wembley shows into 3 at Twickenham. As Gazza has stated, that’s not possible this year.

I can envisage a refund scenario.

Date: March 24, 2006 17:01

Big Al Wrote:
> The only decent alternative would be for the
> Stones to turn the 2 Wembley shows into 3 at
> Twickenham. As Gazza has stated, that’s not
> possible this year.
>
> I can envisage a refund scenario.
>

To be honest, I can't. I can more likely envisage a "postpone till 2007" scenario, but BV dismisses this notion completely. Curiously he didn't really explain why. The fact of the matter is that even if 2 Wembley does equals 3 Twickers, you can't apparently have 3 Twickers because of a limitation on the number of times the venue can stage shows in a year. So that's out the window then. I'm not really thinking about it until either I hear something firm (which no doubt will be from either Ticketbastard or www.rollingstones.com or both), or until much closer to the time. Meanwhile, it'll soon be May, and I'm off to Barcelona !!!

Qui sera sera !!

Date: March 24, 2006 17:19

paulywaul Wrote:
I can't. I can more likely envisage
a "postpone till 2007" scenario

they've done it before- i'd guess they'll do it again.

Alternatively, have the Wembley shows sometime over the British winter
(when the building work is finished), with the roof closed.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 24, 2006 18:42

Why? Don't make me wrong, but what is so special with Wembley or Britain? I know they stomes are British, and it is a large market, but if a venue is unavailable or if the show does not fit in or if they have problems then they do not come back the year after. Never ever, except for the UK tax issue which is quite unique, involving many shows and many people. These are just a few shows they did not do, because of issues at that time, and they did NOT come back the year after, but years after, next tour, if ever. Also, as you see, these are shows in large counries not just smal small markets...

- Buenos Aires 2003
- Bilbao 1998
- Milan 1998
- Bangkok 2003
- Shanghai 2003
- Beijing 2003

Most problems never happen. Don't worry be happy. They will most probably do their shows some place at some venue in London, this year.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 24, 2006 18:46

I didnt realise the new stadium is to have a roof!

Postponing it a year only works if they have other shows to build around it to justify doing so.

A lot has happened since 1998. I cant see the Stones getting the whole circus out of mothballs for just two shows in 1999. Nor can I see them doing an extensive tour in '07 either.

Only way round that might be to delay the rumoured US dates later this year to spring 2007. It would certainly be a less hectic schedule for them, and would also match what happened in 1998-99 (they were originally rumoured to play the US in fall 1998 after Europe but instead extended the Euro tour by a couple of weeks and then did No Security in the new year - which worked in nicely with the rescheduled UK shows in June and allowed them to add a few more Euro gigs too)

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home