Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wembley probably not ready for England's friendly soccer match on August the 16.
Posted by: s-asla ()
Date: March 19, 2006 18:49

The two confirmed shows at Wembley Stadium seem quite uncertain. The will possibly be rescheduled, but what will happen at the two confirmed dates?

Re: Wembley probably not ready for England's friendly soccer match on August the 16.
Posted by: Jim Price ()
Date: March 19, 2006 19:39

Who told you that ? What are your sources ?
Thanks.

Re: Wembley probably not ready for England's friendly soccer match on August the 16.
Posted by: s-asla ()
Date: March 19, 2006 20:30

www.tv2.no

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 19, 2006 20:31

If the worst case scenario is happening then they will just play Twickenham Rugby round instead I think. They even applied for a license for two shows.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 19, 2006 20:32

Yeah seems logiclal, Bjornulf. Why would they postpone if they could get another stadium..

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: March 19, 2006 20:42

I live not so far away from Wembley. I've not heard anything you say. The F.A. Cup is cancelled. But nothing more has been shown to be postphoned. So let's keep fingers crossed and let's forget all this. Twickenham-Wembley, who cares. Let's just Rock n Roll because we like it.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: March 19, 2006 21:19

Reports today indicate that the FA Charity Shield (usually played after the first week of August) is in serious doubt, and with the Stones due there a week or two later, there's every reason to start thinking about Twickers.

Posted by: Jim Price ()
Date: March 19, 2006 21:20

BUT twickenham Stadium is much smaller the the New Wembley : What about the seats ??? Have you thought about it ?

Date: March 19, 2006 21:23

That's why there are no seating plans for anything other than the pitch for the Wembley gigs. They won't have sold that many tickets in the event of the project not being complete.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 19, 2006 21:42

from today's Observer :

WEMBLEY IS highly unlikely to be ready in time to host the Community Shield on 13 August or an England friendly three days later. The FA fear that continuing problems in building the £757m stadium mean that it may still not be ready three months after its planned opening for the FA Cup Final on 13 May.
Alternative venues for the traditional curtain-raiser to the new season and the England match 72 hours later are being sought, with Old Trafford in line to stage at least one of the fixtures if required.

FA insiders say that, given various delays at the site, they cannot be sure Wembley will be able to stage England's first Euro 2008 home qualifier against Andorra on 2 September, or even the second against Macedonia on 7 October.

'We can't know anything, or plan anything for definite, until the roof is up and the "dry-run events" that are necessary for the stadium to get its safety licence have been held,' said one FA source. Builders Multiplex are months behind schedule and have lost around £150m because of a fixed-price contract to build Wembley for £352m.

An FA spokesman said: 'The opening date for Wembley will be announced in due course. Multiplex, Wembley National Stadium Limited and the FA remain committed to delivering the stadium at the earliest possible date.'

Bóllocks!

Date: March 19, 2006 21:44

Jim Price Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BUT twickenham Stadium is much smaller the the New
> Wembley : What about the seats ??? Have you
> thought about it ?

Twickenham held about 52,000 for the Stones shows

The capacity for the Wembley concerts would have been about 50% more than that.

They'd need to have 3 shows at Twickenham to match the number of available tickets for Wembley

I suppose they could always reschedule Dublin and add an extra London show on the 18th?

Date: March 19, 2006 21:45

I trust you're not holding your breath then Gazza..

Date: March 19, 2006 21:56

Nope!! But more people have bought tickets for the 2 Wembley shows than could fit into 2 Twickenham shows, so in the event of a venue switch something's got to give...

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 19, 2006 22:04

I'll sell mine if Wembley doesn't happen. I'm not interested in Twickenham. So that would make only 4 shows this summer instead of about 20 last tour.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 19, 2006 22:04

that sound you just heard from california was me wretching out my St. Patty's Day intake.....

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: March 19, 2006 22:16

i thought it was an earthquake . . .

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 19, 2006 23:05

Good God, I know I am not alone in this, but I have planned and already spent a small fortune on travelling dependant on these two dates! Top it off with the increasing chance of 18 USA dates in the fall...I am increasinlgly screwed! I am even juggling a job change around these dates!

I couldn't care less if its Twickneham vs Wembley...its the time frame! At least BV mentioning the license application for Twick's offers a bit of comfort!

Posted by: thunderball ()
Date: March 19, 2006 23:10

Twickenham Stadium entertainments licence is for three concerts a year and The Eagles are playing there in June, leaving two more available. If there is a third London stadium show it won't be at Twickenham.

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: March 19, 2006 23:18

It might rain tomorrow. It might not.

Date: March 19, 2006 23:21

the thing is though, Thunderball, is that the Stones arent the only act scheduled to play Wembley this summer who will have to find alternative venues. I think Bon Jovi, Take That and Robbie Williams have about 9 shows between them booked for that venue

At least the Stones have had the foresight to have somewhere else planned. The shows should take place on the original dates, it seems, at what venue is another thing

And is it just me, or is there some jinx that seems to affect the Stones every time they schedule shows in London? Especially when its THAT weekend in August

The Stones very rarely postpone shows but a huge proportion of them seem to be in their hometown

Wembley Stadium 13 & 14 July 1990 - rescheduled to 24 & 25 August when Keith bust his finger (Cardiff 11 July was rescheduled too)

All 4 UK stadium shows August 1998 (including two at Wembley on, I think 20 & 22 August!) - postponed until June 1999 for tax reasons

Twickenham 23 August 2003 - postponed until 20 September due to Mick's sore throat
Wembley Arena 14 Sept 2003 - brought forward 24 hours as a result of the same problem

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 20, 2006 04:42

I'm game for a smaller venue and an additional show (as long as I can keep the front row seating....)

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 20, 2006 05:54

> Twickenham held about 52,000 for the Stones shows
>
> The capacity for the Wembley concerts would have
> been about 50% more than that.

that is absolute bunkem!

the new Wembley will be 75k capacity for a gig MAXIMUM

and with the Stones using seating probably even less

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 20, 2006 07:27

andy js Wrote:
> >
> > Twickenham held about 52,000 for the Stones
> shows
> >
> > The capacity for the Wembley concerts would
> have
> > been about 50% more than that.
>
>
> that is absolute bunkem!
>
> the new Wembley will be 75k capacity for a gig
> MAXIMUM
>
> and with the Stones using seating probably even
> less
>
>

Damn! Really? I was planning on bringing 25,000 of my best friends. This is troubling me now....

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 20, 2006 08:53

Well F*****G hell - WELCOME TO ENGLAND one and all. We pride ourselves on not being able to organise a piss up in a brewery - or more to the point ........ build a $#%##@$ stadium within a reasonable time frame !!!!!!!!

The United Kingdom triumphs yet again.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: March 20, 2006 09:34

andy js Wrote:
> >
> shows
> >
> have
>
>
>
> MAXIMUM
>
> less
>
>

Where is the gain in the new Wembley compared to the old one with a capacity of
70,000. Did you forget the pitch !!!!
>

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 20, 2006 10:02

phd Wrote:
> Where is the gain in the new Wembley compared to the old one with a capacity of
> 70,000. Did you forget the pitch !!!!

The old stadium had a concert capacity of around 70,000 with general admission on the field. The new one will have a concert capacity of around 75,000 with floor seats (8,000 or so). For football or concerts with general admission, the new stadium has a much larger capacity than the old one.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: March 20, 2006 10:33

Thanks. Stones fans could stand-up. i.e. in that case then 85,000.

Date: March 20, 2006 11:38

andy js Wrote:
> >
> shows
> >
> have
>
>
>
> MAXIMUM
>
> less
>
>
>

hardly too far off, in reality. The 'old' Wembley allowed 70,000 for concerts, with a 82,000 capacity for football

The new stadium's capacity will be at least 90,000. So, anything up to 80,000 for a concert with General admission. Less for a Stones show, for sure, but certainly well in excess of 70,000 anyway

Point being, youre looking at around 20-22,000 extra capacity for a Wembley gig than you would be at Twickenham. Pretty close to an extra 50 %. (40% at least)

Over two shows thats almost enough to fill a 3rd Twickenham show.

And that aint 'bunkum', Andy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-20 12:10 by Gazza.

Date: March 20, 2006 12:09

@#$%& me pink, you couldnt make this shit up. Did anyone say "A Bigger Bang" ?

Last Updated: Monday, 20 March 2006, 10:01 GMT

Staff leave Wembley after 'bang'

About 3,500 members of staff have had to leave Wembley Stadium after an "incident involving the roof".
The north London venue, which is still under construction, was evacuated before 0900 GMT, a spokesman for the building firm Multiplex said.

The GMB union, which represents workers, said there was an "enormous bang" and parts of the roof are thought to have dropped by 3ft.

The Multiplex spokesman said it was unclear what had happened.

He said: "I can confirm we have evacuated the stadium because of an incident.

"We don't have any more details at the moment and we are currently investigating."

Engineers are said to be on site.

The GMB union called for a full investigation to be launched.

www.bbc.co.uk/news

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 20, 2006 12:10

Wembley Evacuated:-

March 20 (Bloomberg) -- London's Wembley Stadium, the world's most expensive sports ground, was evacuated after a piece of steel fell from the roof, a spokeswoman for construction company Multiplex Group said.

The incident happened at about 9 a.m. local time today. There were no injuries and the 3,500 workers on the site were moved out ``as a standard safety procedure,'' said Fiona McLachlan, a Multiplex spokeswoman in London.

Building of the 757 million-pound ($1.3 billion) stadium has been plagued by surging costs and disputes with subcontractors. Multiplex cut its profit forecast five times last year because of escalating costs and delays.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1080
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home