Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Radio City & American Tour – Rehash …my thoughts!
Posted by: carson99 ()
Date: March 16, 2006 22:32

Just returned to Southern California from my second trip to New York City in ’06 - which by sheer accident (not) just happened to coincide with two Stones shows.

I can’t say that I was surprised by the somewhat predictable setlist at Radio City the other night … and judging by the red-hot response from virtually all of the fans in attendance – I would have to say that you cannot really second guess the Stones (sure, I’d rather hear anything from the new album – not to mention old albums - other than Start Me Up, Brown Sugar, IORR, Honky Tonk Women, Tumbling Dice, etc., for the umpteenth time)

No one can seriously argue that the Stones “went through the motions” the other night … they didn’t … the energy level was close to maximum the entire evening … the Radio City venue is by far the most intimate of the entire tour … it was my first time to Radio City and I can say I was impressed by every aspect … the sound was great and those of us with still-decent vision could make out the facial expressions of everyone on stage throughout the show …

This was my fifth show of the ABB tour (and I’ve seen multiple shows on every American Tour from ’72 forward, plus some other odds and ends) … here are my observations of the current tour from the shows I’ve attended:

BEST SINGLE SONG: Sway from L.A. Forum 3/6/06

MOST INTERESTING: the six new songs played over the two Hollywood Bowl shows (Rough Justice, Rain Fall Down, It Won’t Take Long, Oh No Not You Again, Back of My Hand & Infamy)

MOST SURPRISING: Worried About You from MSG 1/18/06 (the best of the 3 times I’ve now seen them do it)

BEST MINI-SET: Sway, Faraway Eyes, Worried About You - Forum 3/6/06

2nd BEST MINI-SET: Get Off of My Cloud & As Tears Go By – Radio City 3/14/06

MOST SURPRISING OBSERVATIONS RE FANS: the fans at both NYC shows I attended were on their feet rockin’ out almost all night … the laid back Californians rarely stood up and/or danced during the show (perhaps New Yorkers are used to moving around because otherwise they will freeze to death)

BEST SHOW: Forum – 3/6/06

Re: Radio City & American Tour – Rehash …my thoughts!
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 16, 2006 22:36

nice post. to be clear - there's a distinct difference between "going through the motions" and being on "cruise control." I don't see accusations of the former around here.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: March 16, 2006 22:38

carson you are old!!

Posted by: carson99 ()
Date: March 16, 2006 22:56

maybe i'm old ... but i'm still ten years younger than the stones!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 16, 2006 22:57

that's OLD

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: March 16, 2006 23:18

Carson,
dont worry about the age,i bet you are rockin harder than most of the
younger fans,so i say keep on rockin and enjoy the stones music,i have been
following the stones since 1968.
ITS ONLY ROCK-ROLL BUT WE LIKE IT.ROCK ON.

Date: March 17, 2006 02:42

What about the best soundcheck from this tour?

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 17, 2006 02:52

Carson--cool post

I must say I was beyond SHOCKED when they broke
out Worried About You on 1/18--nobody saw it coming.

And thanks for the compliment re NYC fans. I was quite surprised
to read on this board that some thought the crowd was not that into
it cause, my section at least was going pretty crazy.

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: March 17, 2006 03:33

T&A, did you see his observation (regarding Left Coasters)???

"Californians rarely stood up and/or danced during the show" Hmmmm....

Wonder what the commentary is about Midwesterners? I sure as hell danced my ass off!!

Posted by: Here it Comes ()
Date: March 17, 2006 06:15

It's true that New Yorkers tend to be more expressive. We're basically on the streets 24/7 and pretty much get used to bumping into people. You become desensitized here. I've seen a few concerts in L.A. and noticed that people tend to be more sedate. Yes, part of it is that Californians are more laid back and too cool to smile. But they're more isolated because they spend more time in their cars and they're just not used to standing up for two hours, being looked at, looking at other people, dealing with other people's noises, working up a sweat, or any of the other unpleasantries that occur when there is a group of people clustered together. I myself was a bit surprised at the unbridled enthusiasm the suits showed for the Stones -- and considering how much time the Stones probably DO spend with suits, I'm sure they ate it up. As Jagger said onstage at Radio City, "This is probably the most well-heeled crowd we've ever played to." The suits in my section certainly had no problem knocking back the free brewskis and shaking their Hugo Boss asses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-17 06:18 by Here it Comes.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: March 17, 2006 07:03

I gotta say that As Tears Go By on Jan. 20 was slighty better than Radio City's.

Posted by: wälder ()
Date: March 17, 2006 09:41

Hi,

very good summary, carrson !!

Does anybody have the mp3 of these songs - would be great.

Wälder

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 17, 2006 10:17

the LA fans were better than the Vegas fans - they were the worst of the 11 shows i saw. i saw no difference between the forum and the radio city fan appreciation, despite the sea of white collared shirts on the orchestra level at rc.

best shows for me out of the 11 i saw this tour: san diego, atlanta, 2nd united center chicago. the forum was a little better than vegas but at this point, but both were so good its hard to rank them. i was also too distracted in LA and Vegas to fully enjoy them so i need to download them - part of it is social for me too - what happens with the band and with others.

also, i had 4 on stage experiences and had a blast each time

best shattered ever at radio city.

best ATGB: san diego - its not stirring that same emotion in me now as it did that first time i heard it. too bad because it is one of my favorite songs (but i have so many)

i've heard the best MR several times on this tour so far...

i've had an amazing time overall - well worth all the hassle. i can't wait for europe! wish i could go to shanghai...

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 17, 2006 23:00

11 shows ---- Go, go, go Little Queenie

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: March 18, 2006 05:40

forum 06 was one of the best,if not THE best ever---better than denver 03---and that was ROCKIN"!!!!!!!!!!!

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: March 18, 2006 07:24

i only wish we where on the floor!! i hate being up in the rafters!!!!!the open bar was nice!!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 20, 2006 06:04

Me too, prefer a closer view. Very nice open bar scen, yes, and did you get the T shirt? <s>

Forgot to say, GOMC, and As Tears Go By and Shattered and YCAGWYW (audience in tune), very good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-20 06:06 by angee.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home