Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Brian Jones
Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 13, 2006 23:45

Hello everybody! Do you guys(and gals!!) think Brian Jones was a good guitar player?

Re: Brian Jones
Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: March 13, 2006 23:48

Definitely Rep! Played some real good blues. Good instrumentalist too! Just my 2 cents. smiling smiley

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 13, 2006 23:59

he was good, albeit limited. his real gift was that he was just a natural musician who could pick up apparently any instrument in very short order and play it competently. I happen to like his harp playing better than his guitar player, for what it's worth.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 14, 2006 01:20

Some favorites of mine would be his slide on "I'm Movin On" (Dec. Children) & "No Expectations," & his shimmering DiddleyBo on "Mona" not to mention his & Keith's wonderful work on "It's All Over Now." Agree he was a fine harp player, & added much color on a variety of instruments(including mellotron on Satanic) once he lost interest in the guitar, circa "Aftermath."

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 14, 2006 01:32

He was one of the first skinny young white boys in England to be able to play the electric slide guitar like Elmore James, a pretty mean feat in and of itself.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: March 14, 2006 01:38

I feel that Brian is quite underrated as a guitar player. He was the first known white slide player and was considered one of the preeminent guitarists from 1963 to 1965. Then Jeff Beck emerged with the Yardbirds and the rest was history, as a new generation of guitar virtuosos took over the rock and blues scene. Brian's slide contributions on LRR, I Can't Be Satisfied, and No Expectations are stellar.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: March 14, 2006 14:13

Brians work was part of the Stones and he won't get any credit for his ability until we hear solo stuff which seems to have vanished. I'd love to see a degree of murder soundtrack one day, The Balls single and Cotchford sessions. His guest appearances aren't reallt that special (Hendrix, Beatles, Nico etc).

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 14, 2006 15:47

I think they would have made a good band.

Date: March 14, 2006 16:27

So what's Brian's best guitar work?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 14, 2006 16:53

Paint It Black, Pain In My Heart, Lady Jane, The Last Time, Get Off My Cloud,

Thats How Strong My Love Is.

Date: March 14, 2006 17:03

Yeah I agree.. he's great on The Last Time.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 14, 2006 17:27

HE DID IT ALL...and did it well...but sadly for only 7 years...while the other great's....keith, page, clapton had time to get better...

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: March 14, 2006 17:54

love his blistering slide guitar on "I Wanna Be Your Man".......rips right outta the speakers.........and a ballsy mix as well

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 14, 2006 19:03

Leonard Keringer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> love his blistering slide guitar on "I Wanna Be
> Your Man".......rips right outta the
> speakers.........and a ballsy mix as well

Yea, Leonard, I thought about mentioning that song, too.
And the crying bottleneck on Little Red Rooster.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 918
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home