Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Queen - Paul Rodgers
Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: March 10, 2006 17:12

Went to see the show last night in DC and walked away pleasantly surprised and somewhat satisfied. I went with low expectations and scalped a good ticket for $50 in the first level row D. What caught my attention first was that 50% in attendance were young - they were in their teens to early 20's. There must be a Queen resurgence going on in the young rock crowd similar to that of Doors in early 80's. The second was that the area was 95% full once the show started.

The show opened slow with some audio problems for the first 3 songs - at one point it went completely out but the band didn't know it. However, the crowd never lost faith and were on their feet for most of the night.

I thought Paul Rodgers was uncomfortable with singing Queen songs until he was able to do a few Bad Company - the song Bad Company was awesome and feel like making love rocked the house! Brain May was relentless and played his heart out - it was extremely nice to go to a show that highlighted the guitarist and drummer. Yes, and even a great drum solo - when was the last time you heard that a show? May then went into a ten minute solo that ripped the roof off.

The highlight surprisingly was Bohemian Rhapsody - the first part of the song was played by the band with lights down and video footage of Freddy at the piano on full screen singing - I must say, it was worth the $50 just to experience that - then May ripped into the second have with lights up and Paul on vocals - excellent production and outcome - bravo! The crowd was electric and deafening..

The encores were almost as good - the crowd was banging the floor and seats to we will rock you and screaming for encore as then the drums began and the crowd erupted into a frenzy - We will rock you was great! I didn't think they could top it until they went right into Free;s All Right Now - unbelievable - with vintage footage of Paul with Free and Band Company - great! Then came the expected, We are Champions - I would never thought this could work as well as it did - a very honest and worthy event!

My overall opinion is though it was great, it did not feel like a Queen show and it wasn't - instead of calling it Queen with Paul Rodgers call it - Call it something else featuring Paul, Brian and Rodgers or A New Queen. I don't know but Paul Rodgers in no Freddie but he is a great vocalist!

Re: Queen - Paul Rodgers
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 10, 2006 17:19

A really well balanced review, thanks for this. I might have missed this show for the moment, because I think they've been and gone in the UK and are now in the States and elsewhere. But I would like to see it, seeing as in their own ways Queen, Bad Co, and going way back - Free ... were all great great bands with a lot to give.

I saw, would you believe, a Free tribute band in London last year (the only one I've heard of) and listening to pretty much faithful renditions of all those great Free songs especially (they also did some Bad Co stuff) reminded me of how absolutely fantastic that band was in its time.

Posted by: ShatterednVA ()
Date: March 11, 2006 00:59

Yea - no doubt I was more moved by the Free/Bad Co music than Queen.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 11, 2006 01:03

David Lee Roth had an interview with Brian May this morning. He seemed like a good guy. He talked about how he had no interest in starting Queen back up w/o Freddie, and that he was leading a great life, so he didn't have to.

Then they somehow hooked up with Paul and it just felt great playing again, like a real band who WANTS to play, rather than doing it for the money. He said they are probably going to go in the studio too.

Hearing him really made me want to go to the show tonight (they're playing in Boston tonight) but I have other plans.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 11, 2006 01:32

hahaha: found this

"Brian falls into "pit" during Washington DC show March 9

(I had 5th row). After finishing his guitar solo/Last Horizon, Brian walked on the catwalk back to the stage. He apparently forgot that part of the stage in front of the drumset had opened (for Paul, on piano, who had started playing "Bad Company").

Next thing, Brian is gone. He apparently (and luckily) fell onto the piano below the stage. Three roadies rushed to grab him,and pulled him up (while Paul kept playing!!!).

Though he appeared to be shaken up, he waited about 30 seconds, and jumped back in (Jamie took lead guitar during this time).

After a couple of songs, he seemd to be doing much better, thankfully, but it was scary to see.

BTW, a MUST SEE show!!! "

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: March 11, 2006 01:41

>>>What caught my attention first was that 50% in attendance were young - they were in their teens to early 20's. There must be a Queen resurgence going on in the young rock crowd similar to that of Doors in early 80's. The second was that the area was 95% full once the show started.

Queen's Greatest Hits album sells an average of 5,000/10,000 copies each week, much more than any Stones album including compilations.
But the BIG factor are the ticket prices, let's see how many young people could be in a Stones show with those prices.
Sadly, the Stones are going against the world and worse: their reputation and legacy.

Posted by: eric ()
Date: March 11, 2006 01:48

saw then in NYC... great show from a nastalgic point of view. Went back in time for a while... kinda cool. GO if you get the chance. Dont expect to see a perfect Queen show and you will have lots of fun. Great songs live.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home