Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

HELP NEEDED! Final year uni student would appreciate it!
Posted by: Student ()
Date: March 9, 2006 01:41

As I said, I'm a final year uni student writing my dissertation about how the music industry influences youth culture and to what extent it can be blamed for the increase in violence among teenagers. I want to look at how youth culture has changed from the times of the Rolling Stones to now. Any opinions and thoughts would be great!! I'm also looking for Stones advertising from the 1970s but am having trouble finding it. Any suggestions on where to look would also be much appreciated!
Thank you!

Re: HELP NEEDED! Final year uni student would appreciate it!
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 9, 2006 01:55

Well just look at this long haired gang and ask yaself "Would you let your daughter marry a Rolling Stone?"

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rocksoffKR ()
Date: March 9, 2006 02:34

for advertising check out the Black and Blue promo with the girl tied up

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 9, 2006 03:46

Hi,

These might be really obvious, but you can probably really stretch out the paper by talking about some of these factors.

1. The decrease in the % of stay-at-home mothers from the 60's to now.
2. I did a report about 5 years ago about how much stronger the drugs are now compared to then. There was a ton of data about it on the internet, and it resulted in people becoming addicted to drugs in a shorter period of time that it used to take. Then you could segue into how drugs are a gateway to violence.
3. The MTV video revolution. Especially since hip-hop came into fashion and the those videos are all about the (oh God, I hate this word) Bling Bling. Which is one thing for the artists making tons o cash, but to their fans, it's not so easy to afford those kinds of things - therefore they turn to stealing.

Ok, gotta go for now, hope some of this was helpful.

Oh, if I can find it, I saw an advertisement from the 70's that had a picture of Keith. I think it was for some kind of oil - or car thing, but the tag was "Keith thinks ______ is the ultimate high". I might be able to scan it tomorrow if I have time to find it tonight.

Good luck!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: RockGirl ()
Date: March 9, 2006 03:51

I think if more young people today were listening to worthwhile music with soul and depth such as the Rolling Stones there would be a lot less problems with violence, drugs, and the crimes surrounding both. It's that rap music that is to blame for everything, yeah...that's it...rap music will be the decline of our society if it's allowed to permeate any further throughout the suburbs in America and thrust it's urban influence on kids who should be listening to the Stones, Cream, the Grateful Dead, Neil Young, Pink Floyd. First, pull up those f'ing pants for christ's sake is what I'd like to say, but more importantly that genre of music undoubtedly promotes criminal activities, drug abuse, sexual abuse, wanton and rampant sexual depravation (I say this like it's a bad thing?), violence, guns, treating women disrespectfully, lack of respect for mankind and society. I'm wondering if those skinny white boys realize how ridiculous they look running around trying to pretend like they even remotely relate to the perils that are pounded out in rap music. Just part of my humble opinion. I could rant on about this for pages. I mean no dissing on any one section of humanity, etc.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 9, 2006 04:00

Kris Kristofferson's anthem of the early 70's says it all:

Blame it On the Stones

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 9, 2006 09:56

And don't forget: the wild, frequent sex we all enjoy nowadays from the early youth throgh to old age started with 'I wanna hold your hand' and then exploded with 'Let's spend the night together'.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 9, 2006 11:59

ohhh man, what a subject. wouldn't it be nice if it were all the artists' fault?!
but ... sigh: what is it that you want from us, exactly? (and what does "from the times of the Rolling Stones" mean??)
70s advertising: you mean for their records? try contacting their record companies.
tour posters? here are a few - gadzooks, obviously inciting young people to violence!! can no one stop them :E

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-09 14:57 by with sssoul.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 9, 2006 12:36

with sssoul, your 1972 poster is from 1997! smiling smiley

Date: March 9, 2006 13:25

ahem ... i was just checking to see if anyone was paying attention. :E

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: March 9, 2006 13:34

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ahem ... i was just checking to see if anyone was
> paying attention. :E
>

I wish you luck with your study...but sister soul,should do it..she knows everything!

Posted by: Pserchia ()
Date: March 9, 2006 14:29

What city are you in? Your public library may have music magazines from the '70s, but that's may likely if you are in a large metropolitan area. The New York Library has issues of Rolling Stone dating back to the first issue, although the early issues are on microfilm and aren't easy to read. Vintage issues of Rolling Stone, especially from the 1970s, capture that era beautifully.

Wyman's book Rolling with the Stones has samples of advertising, as do many books on the Stones.

Re: The Rolling Stones
Date: March 9, 2006 14:56

LoFL! you're so sweet, Rooster. :E

honestly i hope i'm reading this Student person and his/her research project wrong -
so far it sounds like a throwback to some mighty crappy ideas that i hoped society had gotten over.
yeah right: hugely gifted, incredibly hard-working creative artists - that *must* be the reason for violence, what else?!
look at what happened to Orpheus ...

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-09 16:31 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: March 9, 2006 17:15

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-08 01:48 by Beelyboy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home