Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Las Vegas set list?
Posted by: R ()
Date: March 5, 2006 18:34

I saw three shows last fall. Two in stadiums and one in an arena (DC). The arena show was far and away the dullest of the bunch. I COULD have easily gone to the arena show in Chicago last January but decided to forgo it as I didn't want to be dissapointed by another so-so set list. After I saw what they played, I'm GLAD I stayed home.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 5, 2006 19:24

Lukester Wrote:

(Hey CindyC, makes it look like we're a couple doesn't it?)

Aren't we?

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 5, 2006 19:51

"(Hey CindyC, makes it look like we're a couple doesn't it?)

Aren't we?"

...You bet we are. Oh, I keep forgetting to tell you Bob and Brenda called while you were out and invited us to go to the Hamptons with them next weekend. They're gonna have their baby with them, so I say we blow it off. Maybe you and I could go to the Vineyard instead.

Love ya.

Date: March 5, 2006 20:03

MicksBrain your comments seem right on target and fair

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 5, 2006 21:11

Lukester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
...You bet we are. Oh, I keep forgetting to tell you Bob and Brenda called while you were out and invited us to go to the Hamptons with them next weekend. They're gonna have their baby with them, so I say we blow it off. Maybe you and I could go to the Vineyard instead.
Love ya.

Them and that damn baby! They ruin everything. Ok, well the Vineyard is probably too cold this time of year, let's head for NYC instead and see if we can scalp tickets to the Radio City show instead. BTW, you were great this morning.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 5, 2006 22:49

i was at the show last night and it was a great setlist - my problem was with the security who kept moving me around and being nazi's about me standing in the aisle - i got moved 3 times between beast and shelter so was distracted during the 4 amazing songs - and was force to SIT during MR because of idiots behind me. it was a GREAT show WASTED on a relatively lame audience (i met some great people and saw some old friends but too many people in the lower section next to the stage were sitting)! i need the bootleg to enjoy the show now. mick found me each time i reappeared and i think he was happy to see me because i was the only person dancing especially during MR! he was unable to connect with anyone except me in our section. i think they should skip vegas as a venue. vegas doesn't deserve them. the only good thing about the venue is that its a small arena.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: March 5, 2006 22:53

Im so glad I made the right decision not to see this show.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 5, 2006 23:45

MicksBrain Wrote:
> With all due respect Potted Shrimp, I'm new at
> posting but I've been reading the Forum for years
> so I'm familiar with some of the names. For
> example Lukester and CindyC are totally cool and
> if you read JKF's comments they're very rude, he
> could have put it in a nicer way.I suspect he's
> one of those angry dudes that just goes around
> talkin' s**t to get a rise out of people. So if he
> dishes it out I'm sure he's ready to take it BTW,
> I've read dozens and dozens of comments about how
> disappointed people on the forums are with the
> "Safe" set list on this tour so I'm far from being
> alone on this one. Again, with all due respect to
> you PS, peace...

Aw shut up. The shows are great and you're dumb. Simple as that.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: March 6, 2006 00:33

Yeah....but...JumpingKentFlash, we weren't talkin' 'bout the shows.....wez been talkin' 'bout the setlists (simple as that)......did you lose your place? Bahahahahahahahaha !!! (well, well, who would bez the dumb one now?) "Charlie's Good tonight - Ain't 'e ! WELL ALRIGHT !!"

Date: March 6, 2006 00:43

MicksBrain Wrote:
> Yeah....but...JumpingKentFlash, we weren't talkin'
> 'bout the shows.....wez been talkin' 'bout the
> setlists (simple as that)......did you lose your
> place? Bahahahahahahahaha !!! (well, well, who
> would bez the dumb one now?) "Charlie's Good
> tonight - Ain't 'e ! WELL ALRIGHT !!"

I CAN read English you know?
Lose my place??? Why should I do that? Are talking BS or are you trying to scoop a high place on this board?

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 6, 2006 00:53

Going for the Scoop I think....listen, you're the one that started with the rude comments so I'm just being a mirror.....

Date: March 6, 2006 01:27

...And childish too then???

JumpingKentFlash

Date: March 6, 2006 01:35

Don't be a rude pr**k first and I'll show respect (that's usually how it works )

Date: March 6, 2006 01:47

Just chill out JumpingKentFlash, that guy's son killed himself. That's what's important - stupid little spats like this don't mean sh*t. We'll just agree to disagree.....

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 6, 2006 02:02

I think this is the first time I've ever considered going to a particular Stones show, decided against it and then felt good about the decision the next day. Usually at this point I would be kicking myself, but after seeing that setlist I'm patting myself on the back. Boring as hell, IMO.

It's so painful, seeing a band I love that still plays so well becoming a Vegas-style greatest hits machine (and that applies whether they are in Vegas on a particular night or not).

Posted by: StonesPrincess ()
Date: March 7, 2006 06:04

Ok. Taking down the pix now. Hope those that had a chance to view enjoyed them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-07 07:37 by StonesPrincess.

Date: March 7, 2006 06:48

Oh no it's you again! Bitchin' about the boring setlist. Wahhhhhhhh. I suppose it'd be boring since YOU WEREN'T THERE. Wake up and didn't regret it my ass. KEITH WAS ON FIRE, TOTALLY ON F------ FIRE! All this complaining about set lists. Man all I can say is I was moved to the core. It's like Keith personally lit my fire. I am so glad to have the opportunity to see the Stones up close and personal even if the setlist is routine. A mix up would be great, but I think they sound different every time I see them and know it's music in the making, there's going to be improvisations each night so it's never really the same. Just grateful to be rockin' with them when they sounded and looked so great. Everyone I was with was just as happy to be there as I was including people that have seen them like hundreds of times! Guys who's lives are the Stones.

Shoulda come to Las Vegas oh no it's paul again. Get out, meet some new people, terrorize me in person instead of behind a computer. Heck, I'd probably have even bought you a beer since it was the Stones and all and I was in good spirits with good company. I was waiting for T&A to come up to me and talk to me but he never showed. Where was StonesTod?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 7, 2006 07:03

set lists can look boring or routine on paper, but when youre there its a completley different story. Set lists dont' tell you how a song is played, what it sounds like, how the band is, how the crowd is, the energy level. I remember at around this point in the licks tour, I looked up the shows in IORR, and I thought they were gettting locked into the same routine and the shows were getting stale, but then when four flicks came out, it totally shattered that notion. once again the stones suprised me. they were really getting into a groove, which is probalby what they're doing right now.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: March 7, 2006 10:33

There were pics on here and I missed them? Man, I gotta start checking out every thread from now on! StonesPrincess, could you please post the pics again? smiling smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 7, 2006 11:37

Gazza Wrote:
> tat2you Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > ....hey they have to play
> > like 9-10 songs every night ...
>
> says who?
>
> They should play what they like, theyre not a
> jukebox
>
> I think its a reasonable setlist based on the fact
> that there are a lot of changes from what they
> played in Vegas a few months ago (which should be
> what we're measuring it against - NOT the shows
> theyve been playing in the last couple of weeks)
> but with a catalogue like they have I dont buy
> this acceptance of the 2nd half of the show being
> pretty much the same as it has been for the last
> 25 years

ok gazza, yours is a "rare gem" post here (that is, with some sense a no offense) so i try to respond and ask you some questions
i agree everyone should measure the setlist of a second show in a place against the first one in that same place
And also agree they could change something in the second part of the setlist (at least alternate two warhorses set so you got some one night and some others the night after)
But why buy the acceptance of judging a show simply by the setlist
This i don't understand and it is done a lot by many fans here and elsewhere
How can I buy "boring" or "I am glad I did not go this time" from someone who actually did not go...
What do you think of the Rio concert? I think it was f amazng and rocking expecially some of that "utter boring" setlist (that is IORR, even YGMR - that i hate as a song - was fire)
I understand why some get upset by these opinions, because they are overtly senseless as if i should review a book "boring" form the titles of the chapters
Almost senseless like the "it was their best concet EVER" post that pops out often
With the only difference that in this case he/she talks about the show that he/she attended
On the other hand of course the same thing can be said about the "it is a f...great setlist!" post
So...how was it the Sway/Faraway Eyes/Worried about you set last night? That is the point. Or how was it the bs/ycag/satisfaction set last night?
Last, I seriously doubt I would not miss BS shoud they leave that out

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 7, 2006 17:12

StonesPrincess Wrote:
>
>
> Shoulda come to Las Vegas oh no it's paul again.
> Get out, meet some new people, terrorize me in
> person instead of behind a computer. Heck, I'd
> probably have even bought you a beer since it was
> the Stones and all and I was in good spirits with
> good company. I was waiting for T&A to come
> up to me and talk to me but he never showed.
> Where was StonesTod?

Present and accounted for, ma'am! It woulda been fun, yeah, but it wasn't in "the cards" (cute metaphor, eh?) for me. Got an counter-offer for ya if you're interested some time...lemme know.

Date: March 7, 2006 17:44

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-07 17:46 by StonesPrincess.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 7, 2006 17:47

wow - great shots, SP! Nice...thanks for posting...I'll copy and paste 'em while I can...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-07 18:29 by StonesTod.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 7, 2006 18:05

maumau Wrote:
> ok gazza, yours is a "rare gem" post here (that
> is, with some sense a no offense) so i try to
> respond and ask you some questions
> i agree everyone should measure the setlist of a
> second show in a place against the first one in
> that same place
> And also agree they could change something in the
> second part of the setlist (at least alternate two
> warhorses set so you got some one night and some
> others the night after)
> But why buy the acceptance of judging a show
> simply by the setlist
> This i don't understand and it is done a lot by
> many fans here and elsewhere
> How can I buy "boring" or "I am glad I did not go
> this time" from someone who actually did not
> go...

I'd agree that you cant judge a show PURELY by the setlist. It works both ways of course. In theory, they could play an interesting setlist and perform badly.

> What do you think of the Rio concert?

Brilliant. Although the spectacle plus the fact I was able to watch it and listen to it almost live in my own home was an added factor. However, I thought they PERFORMED very well. Although like most shows on this tour, I tend to concentrate more on the first half of the show

To me, however, it must be said that since the start of 2006 the shows have become more interesting set-list wise plus I think theyve been playing better than they did for most of the 2005 leg. A good sign on all counts. I was REALLY underwhelmed by a lot of the shows up to around the middle point of the 2005 leg. I was getting shows and could barely muster up the interest to listen to them. Since around the time they went to LA in early November and shook things up a bit more, I think the shows improved dramatically and my interest picked up

I think it
> was f amazng and rocking expecially some of that
> "utter boring" setlist (that is IORR, even YGMR -
> that i hate as a song - was fire)

I actually mentioned that at the time. Whilst YGMR is probably the most overplayed song in their repertoire (when judged as to its quality as a song), they did a very good version that night. IORR was good too, although to be fair I think thats one warhorse that HAS improved this tour. Its generally been played very well.

> I understand why some get upset by these opinions,
> because they are overtly senseless as if i should
> review a book "boring" form the titles of the
> chapters
> Almost senseless like the "it was their best
> concet EVER" post that pops out often

True...well I suppose being there can give a different level of objectivity. Whilst you can listen to a bootleg of a show and enjoy/not enjoy it, if youre at a show you can be caught up in the moment and not actually evaluate it quality-wise. Plenty of times I've come away from shows (not just by the Stones) raving about the 'best version I've ever heard' of a particular song - and then listened to it later and it may have been good, but not THAT good

> With the only difference that in this case he/she
> talks about the show that he/she attended
> On the other hand of course the same thing can be
> said about the "it is a f...great setlist!" post
> So...how was it the Sway/Faraway Eyes/Worried
> about you set last night? That is the point. Or
> how was it the bs/ycag/satisfaction set last
> night?

well, regarding the LA shows. I think they made a good effort to mix songs up for those who had seen the band there in November. They did the same at the NY shows I was at in january (although to a slightly lesser degree but it was still very praiseworthy). LA got the widest variety of songs over the entire tour and the Stones deserve some credit for making that effort for the people there. It'd be nice to see some shake ups too though in cities where theres only one show (theres a lot of one nighters on this tour) instead of a 'standard' playlist which varies little from one 1 night stand to another. Now, could they attempt a similar setlist to last night's when they play Little Rock on Thursday? No reason why not. If they were confident that most of the 16,000 people at the Forum could see that show on Monday and come away satisfied with the song selection (even though for most of them it was their only show this tour), shouldnt they be as confident that there are a similar % of 'knowledgeable' enough fans in their next audience to 'get it' too?

> Last, I seriously doubt I would not miss BS shoud
> they leave that out

We all have a few! Tumbling Dice, oddly enough, is my personal favourite of the 'play every night' choices. Whilst JJF is one of my top 3 songs by the band ever, I wouldnt miss it if rested at the end of the show however - but I love it as an opener when its not TOO long and drawn out (eg No Security and on this tour)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-07 18:09 by Gazza.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 7, 2006 18:25

what pictures? Man, i miss everything! Why take them down?? You could just leave them up.

Date: March 7, 2006 18:31

I replied directly to you and put up some pix for you. You were online when I did it. I take them down because of the bullshit I endured at the hands of other members. I don't feel like defending the legitimacy of my bstage tix and pix and being the selfish bitch I am, I only want the kind Stones lovers to share in my experiences.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 7, 2006 18:34

StonesPrincess Wrote:
> Oh no it's you again! Bitchin' about the boring
> setlist. Wahhhhhhhh. I suppose it'd be boring
> since YOU WEREN'T THERE. Wake up and didn't
> regret it my ass. KEITH WAS ON FIRE, TOTALLY ON
> F------ FIRE! All this complaining about set
> lists. Man all I can say is I was moved to the
> core. It's like Keith personally lit my fire. I
> am so glad to have the opportunity to see the
> Stones up close and personal even if the setlist
> is routine. A mix up would be great, but I think
> they sound different every time I see them and
> know it's music in the making, there's going to be
> improvisations each night so it's never really the
> same. Just grateful to be rockin' with them when
> they sounded and looked so great. Everyone I was
> with was just as happy to be there as I was
> including people that have seen them like hundreds
> of times! Guys who's lives are the Stones.
>
> Shoulda come to Las Vegas oh no it's paul again.
> Get out, meet some new people, terrorize me in
> person instead of behind a computer. Heck, I'd
> probably have even bought you a beer since it was
> the Stones and all and I was in good spirits with
> good company. I was waiting for T&A to come
> up to me and talk to me but he never showed.
> Where was StonesTod?

I think it's possible for the Stones to give a good performance while at the same time playing an uninspiring selection of songs. It happened to me in Memphis - the concert was fantastic, but the song selection for the most part sucked. I guess we can just write it off to a difference of opinion.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 7, 2006 18:51

StonesPrincess Wrote:
> I replied directly to you and put up some pix for
> you. You were online when I did it. I take them
> down because of the bullshit I endured at the
> hands of other members. I don't feel like
> defending the legitimacy of my bstage tix and pix
> and being the selfish bitch I am, I only want the
> kind Stones lovers to share in my experiences.

If you send them to me, I'd appreciate it. Let me know if you want to.

Posted by: tattoojack ()
Date: March 7, 2006 18:59

I am with J.J.Flash. i would appriciate seeing them as well

Date: March 7, 2006 20:02

J.J. Flash, Provide your email address please.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1169
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home