Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

..."The Hurricane" - new video at rs.com...
Posted by: crash ()
Date: March 4, 2006 03:36

Title: The Hurricane

Date: Mar 01, 2006
Description: Keith tells the story of this song.

Content Type: video

Re: ..."The Hurricane" - new video at rs.com...
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 4, 2006 05:44

Yeah Keith wrote in in France shortly after Sep 11th...interesting.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: March 4, 2006 18:55

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeah Keith wrote in in France shortly after Sep
> 11th...interesting.
>
> ROCKMAN

I thought that was fascinating--that he was taking the catastrophe of 9/11 and working backward and outward to tap into the notion of "disaster" a la, say, "High Water Everywhere" or "When The Levee Breaks."

Turned out that what was broadening around 9/11 made the song quite precise four years later.

I was so glad to see that footage of Keith discussing the track (which I have been enjoying and touting on this board); I thought the whole thing spoke very well of his ongoing smarts and creativity.

I hope there's more Stones music in the vein of "Hurricane" coming our way soon.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 4, 2006 22:59

>> I thought the whole thing spoke very well of his ongoing smarts and creativity. <<

yeah, you know the cat's got sssoul ...

Date: March 4, 2006 23:07

Aw Rev.........talk about minds that think alike

When I watched it Patton's - High Water was the first thingy that rode across my mind.....followed closely by "Rabbit" Brown.

Oh yes Keith takes the old ancient way of telling stories and communicating...the pre war blues - folk music way where the only time that people learned of major world events or more so disasters were through the songs that the wandering singer bought to their area...@#$%&' fasinating...I tip my hat to ya Keith...TIP smile wink!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: March 4, 2006 23:08

Aw see...those minds again

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: March 5, 2006 21:08

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh yes Keith takes the old ancient way of telling
> stories and communicating...the pre war blues -
> folk music way where the only time that people
> learned of major world events or more so disasters
> were through the songs that the wandering singer
> bought to their area...

Very cool point--the idea of the intinerant musician/troubador as a town crier.

I think I've read an interview with Keith somewhere ("Rolling Stone" 1971?) where talks about the Stones pouring their attitudes and lifestyles into music and the audience connecting with that and bonding to their reports. It struck me that what he was talking about was a somewhat more distanced version of that town crier role.

I get a big kick out of the fact that the "Hurricane" single is handed out at the shows themselves. There's something so cool and immediate about that, about it being physically passed around. The Grateful Dead thing was like that, with tapes being circulated around--it gave the feeling of intimacy with the band and the music. Like being in an underground network.

I think it would tie the Stones a lot closer to their audience if they were to bypass the traditional promo and distrib. channels and make music available at shows or online (mail order CD's please.) Some weird releases-- the El Mocambo or "@#$%& Blues," just for the faithful. It might restore some of the mystique that gets compromised by, you know, the "Bigger Bang" infant clothes available at RS.com.

Anyway, I'm glad that "Hurricane" is sitting on my desk with its very basic little paper sleeve.

(Also gald that it can be circulated on the web where people who can't get to the N. American leg of the tour are able to hear it as well...)

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 5, 2006 22:51

i haven't seen the video but got the single at last night's show in vegas. i played while driving back to the hotel and loved it! i didn't realize it was a keith tune - i wish he'd play it live!! he's almost sounding like dylan to me these days...

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: March 6, 2006 22:48

Keith said he pulled it out of the "Vaults" or was that the "shelf" --anyway, unleash the vaults!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2079
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home