Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Knopfler
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 3, 2006 12:28

Just want yer thoughts...

Once upon a time, between Jura, Creta & Stone Age
(in the early 1980s) the Dire Straits felt like one of the real Hopes
of Pure And Refined Rock 'n' Roll... Anyone else recalls?

Yeah, yeah, I know they sold out in mid-80s, but...
Anyone familiar with the Knopflerean career since?

Re: Knopfler
Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: March 3, 2006 12:31

Although it sounds a bit depressed here and there, I love his solo effort Sailing to Philadelphia.

I always thought Dance Little Sister and Twisting by the Pool had great similarities. (Just making the RS connection here, thank you Limbo... winking smiley )

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 3, 2006 12:35

Knopfler rocks. He has a killer riff on Money For Nothing. Sultans Of Swing obviously proofs he can also take a solo.. yup, although he's not all that innovative, he's a great guitar player just the same!!

Posted by: Alvaro ()
Date: March 3, 2006 12:36

I grow up with DS till i hear Stones, then all this guitar play of MK was erased of my brain.I mean, MK & Clapton are so technical but, most of the times they dont have the rough, the direct thing, the rock . Dire Straits are pop. They still give me good moments but they are so 80s....i mean, too much bass, to little rock riffs (Oh good now im listening SFM from Stripped and its excatly what i want to say...the never did anything like this).

And knopfler alone is music for midle-age, well placed, wealthy mid-class americans.....

Un beso a todos.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: March 3, 2006 12:53

One of the more boring guitarist.

Date: March 3, 2006 12:55

And if we try to see the rock'n'roll aspects of it;
and to a lesser extent guitar-wise? I hear very much
genuine r'n'r in the early stuff... What about recnt things?

Posted by: thrak ()
Date: March 3, 2006 13:40

I Love him. i was in Warsaw on his show and it was incredible !!!!!

TELEGRAPH ROAD RULEZZZ

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 3, 2006 15:01

I saw Dire Straits in 1991. This is the only concert I've been to, where the volume was too low!
I think their best album is "Making Movies". I have always felt that "Brothers In Arms" (not the song, but the album), is like "Born In The U.S.A.". Which means that it is good, but it's a bit boring and too perfect.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 3, 2006 15:09

Dire Straits in 1979 was the first concert I ever went to!

Posted by: wisertime ()
Date: March 3, 2006 15:12

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I think their best album is "Making Movies". I
> have always felt that "Brothers In Arms" (not the
> song, but the album), is like "Born In The
> U.S.A.". Which means that it is good, but it's a
> bit boring and too perfect.

Yeah, "Making Movies" is great ! I have the same opinion about "Brothers In Arms".
Saw him last year and I didn't like it, the sound was very bad and I didn't like his band.
He'll tour this spring in Europe with Emmylou Harris, should be interesting but I hope it'll be E.Harris band (Buddy Miller, etc).

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 3, 2006 15:14

Gazza, how was it? No looong review, just a few words? I've heard they were at their top in 1979....

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 3, 2006 15:30

Mr. Baboon Bro, my shit flinging, blue cheeked, red bottomed friend,
I was in college when I first heard Sultans Of Swing on the radio. I stopped what I was doing to listen. I thought, damn, Dylan's got a new album out!! Ha ha, although I was disappointed to learn it wasn't Bob, I became a fan nontheless. He later played on some Dylan tunes on his Infidels album.

Date: March 3, 2006 15:45

I like yer stories
(but Luke----; my behind aint red, its full of thick brown hair)...
More! Myself I was doin heavy exercises at a gym as a weightlifter,
and all the time there was this Dire Straits... Like a brain wash -
but a nice one!! Like good Gazza I also attended my first concert whatsoever
in 1979 (not counting some childish attempts on travelling amusement
pars etc)... See if I can track that band down...

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 3, 2006 15:51

Knopfler is a great player, but is heavily influenced by J.J. Cale. The first DS album is a classic, after that they became more and more so-called 'quality pop'.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 3, 2006 15:59

Erik_Snow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gazza, how was it? No looong review, just a few
> words? I've heard they were at their top in
> 1979....

Very good..I remember that they came onstage to the strains of "Gimme Shelter" playing over the PA (!), opened with "Once upon a time in the west", played their current single (Lady Writer, off "Communique"), 'Sultans of swing' got the biggest cheer, 'Portobello Belle' was the song I didnt know that I was most impressed by and played a new song, "Les Boys", preceded by a very funny spoken into. Mark's brother David was still in the band then (when they came back a year later he had left and replaced by Hal Lindes). Small venue (Whitla Hall at Queens University, not quite sold out), but I had to leave a bit early to get the last bus home!

The only other time I saw them was at Punchestown Racecourse in Kildare in 1983, which was a very impressive show (Love over Gold tour)

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: March 3, 2006 15:59

I saw DRs back in 1980. Saw them at the Electric ballroom in Atlanta. (Anybody remember that place?) I have followed Knopfler ever since. IMO, he like Ry Cooder, was/is too much of a purist at heart to stay in the mainstream of today's music scene. Has anyone listen to "Neck and Neck"? This was done with Chet Atkins. What about "The Notting Hillbillies"? Great stuff. Check it out.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 3, 2006 16:06

I saw Knopfler on his last year's tour.The best gutar player I have ever heard in concert.It was an amazing show.I think his solo stuff is almost as great as Dire Straits songs.After all,all of them are written by Mark.

Sailing to Philadelphia is an excellent album,although it could be a bit shorter.

I love all of Dire Straits albums and I don't think Brothers in arms was a sell-out,far from it with songs like Your Latest Trick and the title track.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 3, 2006 17:53

I saw Knopfler twice in 2001. He still is a absolutely awesome guitarist. He can play beautifull slow stuff, i got tears in my eyes on some slow songs, and he is unbelievable on Sultans of Swing and other faster songs. Dire Straits was great but as someone already mentioned, they tried to make the perfect music and that can sound soooo @#$%& great but after a while you just want to hear some good ol' rock 'n roll and then the stones is just the band for you!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Rommick ()
Date: March 3, 2006 18:36

I have listen "Sailing to Philadelphia" this morning!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 3, 2006 20:47

to me straits were like a revelation when they first apperared.

for their allaround ability;
songwriting,
lyrics,
overall musician ability
and part of that of course,
outstanding guitarplaing,

Posted by: turd ()
Date: March 3, 2006 20:51

a) He did a killer version of the Shads Atlantis
b) He's a good race driver.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: March 3, 2006 22:11

I dig Knopfler, he's one of my fave's, right there with Mick Taylor!

Too bad he chose not to get along with Taylor during those Bob Dylan sessions,
he wanted to run the show and didn't want Taylor there, Dylan told him:

Taylor's one of the best players in the world and put Taylor in charge,
which pissed Knopfler off!!

I saw Dire Straights when they 1st toured, after the 1st album.
and Mark solo in 2001 - Las Vegas

Loved the show both times!!!!

MLC

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 3, 2006 22:51

I'm absolutely crazy about the song "Solid Rock". I think the guitar sound is amazing on that one.

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: March 3, 2006 23:26

Sultans of Swing introduced me to Dire Straits.......and,like Lukester, I was hooked!

Mark knopfler is a virtuoso guitar player in my opinion, but better than that, he manages to write some excellent songs and deliver them with a rough vocal that is unique........and very rock and roll. He has Dylanesque influences, for sure, but takes it a step further.

Listen to Switch Blade Knife, Lady Writer and then The Gallery..all different....but all classics!

I could give a lot more examples.... smiling smiley

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 3, 2006 23:32

Knopfler
Posted by: Baboon Bro (IP Logged)
Date: March 3, 2006 12:28

Knopfler ? In my opinion, hugely talented and accomplished, but regrettably -"boredom" personified ! He's his own worst enemy.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 3, 2006 23:32

I love Dire Straits and Knopfler's guitar playing, but his solo stuff bores me silly. And I was already pretty silly even before I listened to it.

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: March 4, 2006 00:47

he should be replaced w/ Mick Taylor!!!!

Posted by: Guitar ()
Date: March 11, 2006 06:28

Hi-How's it going? wanted to know-if you have---Mark's appearance-on the Mark & Brain-Show-on 95.5 KLOS-from Los Angeles---either 7/05 or 8/05?? Direct E-Mail please-at dreemer01@earthlink.net Thanks a lot Troy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home