Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
you cannot judge the shows from the bootlegs
Posted by: brewcrew87 ()
Date: March 2, 2006 00:40

i attended msg 1/20, amazing show id have to say the best stones show ive ever been to, and i just got the torrent from rocksoff, it sounds NOTHING like the show i saw- this is for all of you out there who say how bad they sound and you havnt even been to any shows on this tour

Re: you cannot judge the shows from the bootlegs
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: March 2, 2006 00:43

Of course I can judge shows if I want to brewcrew and have often done so. You are of course are under no obligation to do so.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: March 2, 2006 00:44

from your thread title: are you saying i can't judge "Get Your Ya-Yas Out" because i wasnt there?.... or only shows from this tour?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 2, 2006 00:44

i disagree with this as a "global comment" - i have many boots from shows i attended that sound virtually identical to the show itself.

Date: March 2, 2006 00:45

Indeed Todd and good pint Leonard!

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: March 2, 2006 00:46

ChrisM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Indeed Todd and good pint Leonard!

i could use a pint or two ChrisM smiling smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 2, 2006 00:47

brewcrew, I thought (almost) everyone considered MSG 2006 to be awsome. Even I do, and I haven't heard it!
And of course you can judge a show from a bootleg. For instance the "video-show" from Los Angeles 1975....very good sound, but I'd much rather listen to Kansas City, with WORSE sound, because the show is better

Date: March 2, 2006 00:54

But for want of an o a point becomes a pint. Great, I'll join you!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 2, 2006 00:55

ChrisM Wrote:
> But for want of an o a point becomes a pint.
> Great, I'll join you!

Chris, u never answered my e-mail? Did you not get it?

Date: March 2, 2006 02:10

I never received the e-mail JJF. When did you send it? If you could resend it though I'll be glad to respond, assuming I get this time!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 2, 2006 02:19

chris, you got mail!

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: March 2, 2006 02:40

Indeed.....i was there as well.........however i do have a dvdv of the show and it is GREAT!!!!!!!!!...pick it up!!

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: March 2, 2006 02:57

I disagree with both points of the orignal post--I have heard plenty of shows that where the boot was more then a fair representation, sometimes identical,to what it sounded like live.

Also, great playing is great playing and not so great playing is not so great. Certainly quality or lack thereof matters, but the playing is the playing.

Obviously, this applies to any band.

Date: March 2, 2006 03:13

it also depends how good the drugs are....at the show...

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: March 2, 2006 03:31

so brewcrew87 - should we now dismiss what a great show Brussels 1973 was ?
And most of the European Tour 1973, and most of the Aussie Tour 1973 and most of the US Tour 1972 ???

Date: March 2, 2006 03:40

Esky--fair questions, to say the least.

Rather then repeat what others have said, I want to ask this:

BREWCREW87---are you the person I spoke to before that show (1/20), who was in NYC from Milwaukee with his wife--we discussed the set list from 1/18 and the impending rise of the Brewers (well, that was your prediction).

Had to ask--cause if so--it is a freakin small world.

Date: March 2, 2006 04:01

Glass Slide

No I was not that person- i am from cleveland

Date: March 2, 2006 04:26

SWAY MSG......Awsome on the dvd

Date: March 2, 2006 04:29

can someone help me with this one- i just downloaded the msg 1/20 dvd from the rocks off torrent trqcker, now what program should i use to watch it- i havnt been able to figure it out

Date: March 2, 2006 04:32

brewcrew87 Wrote:
> Glass Slide
>
> No I was not that person- i am from cleveland

Ok--it's funny-I saw 1/18 and waiting up for some friends in a bar I ran into a married couple from Milwaukee on 1/20 going to the show--huge Stones and Brewers fan--so I thought it was worth a shot.

Date: March 2, 2006 05:23

I see this argument from both sides.You can tell that a show was good by hearing a recording of it but,you can't say for sure that a show was bad based on a poor recording unless you can make out what,without any doubt,are mistakes.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 2, 2006 06:16

There's no doubt that seeing the show, whether live or just on video, leads you to judge the music more generously. I don't know whether it's because you're distracted from any weaknesses, or because you have a better sense of what they're trying to do. Especially keith.

But that doesn't mean that when you listen only to the audio, you can't make a judgment of it.

And it's especially fatuous to say you can only tell if a show was good from a recording.

But you cannot tell if a show was good only by reading the setlist!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 2, 2006 06:21

cc Wrote:
>> But you cannot tell if a show was good only by
> reading the setlist!

But, you can tell if it's not!

Date: March 2, 2006 06:34

It's pretty simple.A bad or below average recording is considered bad or below average for a reason.You can tell for sure if a show was bad only if the recording was good or if you can identify that something was off.You might not be able to hear the songs the same way as they were heard at the venue.It's not just because people who were at the shows might be biased.They could probably have heard the songs more clearly than someone listening to a tape recording from some guy with bad seats.For example Pittsburgh 1989 sounds like crap to me but,the recording from Toronto earlier that week suggests a good show.Is anyone going to tell me that the Stones performance really fell off that far in just a couple of days?

Date: March 2, 2006 06:50

A good case in point, Theif, is Wembley II from 1999. A great recording - some even think it's a soundboard (it's not) - but it's a below par (to put it mildly) show - even some of those in attendance have admitted as much.

Date: March 2, 2006 06:59

Yes.That's part of what I'm trying to say.You can tell if a show is bad by some recordings.On the other hand,look at some of the U.S. No Security recordings.On some of those ALDs you can't hear Richards' guitar.If someone was to judge those shows on those recordings the verdict would not be very good but,many people seem to agree that was actually one of his best tours of recent years.

Date: March 2, 2006 07:02

'99 Stuttgart remains among the handful of high-water marks for me from latter-era Stones. Fantastic recording; sublime performance.

Posted by: backstreetboy ()
Date: March 2, 2006 07:15

many times this is true,i gree brew,sometimes its not,depends on wwhere you sat and the sound mix and quality of the boot.

john scialfa

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: March 2, 2006 07:21

You're all wrong, it's actually 'You Can't Judge A Book By Looking At The Cover' by Bo Diddley.

brewcrew87, you need WinAmp with all the 'flac' & 'shn' plugins to play those files.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-02 07:22 by vox12string.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: March 2, 2006 09:12

brewcrew is right.

DC 2005 was a near riot. But the boot, while fun, doesn't capture the intensity.

Hey, the Oakland '69 boot sounds like it was recorded in a graveyard - but my uncle was there and said the show was amazing.

... But OK, I have to confess: I was at Altamont later the same year, and the boot pretty much accords with my memory: mucho insanity, and the concert went on forever.

Darn it. I guess both sides have a point in this argument.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1321
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home