Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
ITALY AND THE STONES
Posted by: schili ()
Date: February 28, 2006 22:22

ABB IS STILL NUMBER.51........ IN THE CHARTS AFTER 24 WEEKS AND THE STONES MAKE ONE ONLY SHOW IN MILAN ..........IN ROME?????????????
THEY CAN SING IN THE FORO FOR A FREE CONCERT LIKE RIO, BUT NOBODY KNOWS NOTHING.
CAN YOU WRITE IN THIS FORUM TO CAN HAVE MORE SHOWS IN ITALY????????????'' SCRIVETE PURE IN ITALIANO SE VOLETE POI TRADUCIAMO PER GLI ALTRI.
GEORGELICKS WHAT DO YOU THINK???????????? ITALY ISN'T A RS COUNTRY??????????'I'D LIKE TO KNOW YOUR OPINION

Re: ITALY AND THE STONES
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 28, 2006 22:31

The Stones can go play in f*cking Bangalore and fill a stadium, but in one of the later tours (Voodoo?) they went to play Rome after a long absence on Jagger's birthday and drew 3000 people.WTF???
I grew up in Rome and for the life of me I don't rememebr any vicious anti Stone factions running the streets. I have never understood why the Stones can't get it going in Italy. It's true they hardly play there. Keep to the north when they do. But look at Brazil and Argentina - now that is the way it is supposed to be done! Whe you don't get any Stones for years, and then you Finally do - you throw out the red carpet. Maybe the Stones think that Rome doesn't get that.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: March 1, 2006 03:02

schili, scrivo anche io - sono Greco: almeno un concerto di piu, a Roma! (Olympico?)

25 Atene, 29 Lyon. Cosa dici per 29??

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 1, 2006 03:19

Sono contento che A Bigger Bang sia andato bene, ma è stato il primo n.1 degli Stones in Italia in 43 anni!!! Purtroppo l'Italia non può considerarsi una Stones - Country, la stragrande maggioranza degli italiani può al massimo essere considerata beatlesiana. Non mi stupisce che i ragazzi abbiamo finora fissato un solo concerto in Italia, anche se farebbero bene a suonare gratis a Roma, magari a settembre alla fine del tour.

I'm very happy that A Bigger Bang has been successful, but it's been the only n.1 Stones record in Italy in 43 years!!! Unfortunately, Italy can't be considered as a Stones country. Most Italian people can at best be considered Beatles-friendly. No wonder the boys have scheduled just one concert in Italy so far, even though they'd better play for free in Rome, I wish in september towards the end of the tour.

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 1, 2006 04:54

Please do not write in UPPER CASE letters. It is horrible and unacceptable.

Bjornulf

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 1, 2006 14:30

Unfortunately it is true that Italy is no Stones land.

I truly never understood why, but that is a fact.

I am sure that the main reasons of ABB decent sales here is that Streets was the soundtrack of Omnitel's commercials.

Before Streets, Omnitel had Duran Duran. Well, after almost 20 years of absence form the charts, you bet DD were up at no. 1 again once Omitel started its obsessive commercials.

C

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 1, 2006 14:50

The concert mentioned above by chelsea was Rome 1990 (third gig of that tour)

It's true Abb was pushed up by vodafone commercial and it is sadly true we're not a stones-country
But I remember in the early eighties it was worse. When I got hooked in 1982 (they made three concerts then after 12 years) i remember they were despised a lot in music magazine (compared to the other classic or new rockers) they were labelled old, not good as musicians (i remember discussions with friends that claim charlie to be one of the worst drummers in rock history...)
While Italy has been a country for Patti Smith or Bob Marley or Queen or Pink Floyd, Stones, I think, have always suffered the Beatles comparison, here more than elsewhere.
Beside that, though there are a few blues and soul festivals like Pistoia or Porretta, we are not a blues/rock blues/ soulphile country like Germany for instance.
Maybe Italian music gene is more for melody than groove...who knows
Anyway now, even in music magazines, there's way more respect for them than 20 years ago. Even a super-alternative-music-magazine like Blowup wrote an enthusiastic review of the concert in Milan in 2003 and that could really not happen in 1981
So...let's make it Buenos Milan next summer! winking smiley

Date: March 1, 2006 15:43

I still think it is absolutely incomprehensible. Many of my best friends are Italians. They are dudes like anywhere else in the world. Fads come and go like everywhere else. I jst don't get it. Maybe Prog is a little bigger in Italia, but no big deal. I know personally several guys who run a fansite out of Italy devoted to I Rolling! Saw them in San Siro and it was F8cking RIOT!
It seems that on paper the Stones p[laying an outdoor show in the Circo Massimo or on Via dei Fori Imperiali is a guaranteed DVD waiting to happen.
Italinas LOVE style and coolness. Jagger, Keith, Ronnie and Charlie wrote the book on all that. And on pretty girls too.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 1, 2006 15:47

Italy is more a San Remo country, not?

Date: March 1, 2006 16:30

Unfortunately the San Remo festival is a perfect rapresentation of the musical tastes and the cultural attitude of the average italian person. Nothing to except on that, is just that personally I don't dig it at all... and I'm italian, just for the record.

"got to be worked on

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: March 1, 2006 17:40

I'm a Brit living just a few miles from Mick and Keith's birthplace.

I'm going to be in Milan for the 22nd June date, flight, hotel and concert tickets booked, (best seats half the cost that of Wembley).

I'm going because I love Italy, and I'm sure the fans going to the concert will be as enthusastic as anywhere else.

Sadly I don't expect a Rome date on the tour, a free concert there would affect sales elsewhere in Europe, and now that Athens is confirmed, it's much less likely as there's few spare dates for it to happen.

Date: March 1, 2006 17:44

Yaeh but the average person in any country is not really a Stoner. That is why we even go to the show. To hook up with all the rockers.
Could it be that since Stones tours are big big business these days, and they may just can not get a real deal in Berlusconi's Italy?

Posted by: jacopo ()
Date: March 1, 2006 18:19

i hope in a Rome show, but NOT free!!!!

Italy is a stones country: [www.rollingstonesitalia.com]

Jacopo

Rolling Stones Italia
[www.rollingstonesitalia.com]

Posted by: only stones ()
Date: March 1, 2006 18:33

Ragazzi, ci sono ancora biglietti per la prima data di S.Siro come credete che possano fare una seconda data?
Sici

[it.groups.yahoo.com]

Barcelona,Madrid,Nice,Milano,Lyon

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 1, 2006 19:18

only stones Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ragazzi, ci sono ancora biglietti per la prima
> data di S.Siro come credete che possano fare una
> seconda data?
> Sici
>

Ce ne sono solo pochi,no?

Date: March 2, 2006 18:45

THIS WEEK ABB IS N.37 AFTER 25 WEEKS

Posted by: only stones ()
Date: March 3, 2006 11:22

Harm Wrote:

Ce ne sono solo pochi,no?
------------------------------

Solo i biglietti del prato A sono praticamente introvabili, gli altri si trovano ancora nei negozi.
Sabato a Torino alla nuova Feltrinelli vendevano ancora sia la tribuna rossa che tutti gli altri settori.
Sici

Only tickets for FOS A are finish, all the other sectors there are.
Sici

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 3, 2006 14:51

Well the women are beautiful, the fashions are fantastic, the food is (together with France and Japan, in my opinion) the best in the world, and the wine . . . . . Maybe they have too many other distractions.

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: March 3, 2006 15:45

hi,
i grew up in the states and i've lived in rome for about 10 years now. i'm a dual citizen...i have to agree with most of the comments that italy in general is not a "stones country"...it's a little depressing being a big stones fan here smiling smiley) most of my friends are italians and they definitely think i'm a bit strange going all around and spending money to see these "vecchietti" (old peoplewinking smiley i just make jokes that the stones are in better shape than we are, but they just don't believe me :-)
well, i don't really care that much - i just learned that if i want to see the stones in concert, i have to go by myself, because if i wait for some friends to decide to go with me, i probably won't go at all.
i'm not talking about everyone in italy of course- for example here in rome there's a GREAT stones cover band called the stoners (www.stoners.it) - they're great, they play in bars for free - they play everything, from old obscure songs to Streets of Love. the guitars are even a little bit out of tune sometimes, like the old days !! smiling smiley) they've even got a great sax player. sometimes i feel a little sorry for them because i've mostly seen them play in front of people who went there to eat dinner or something and the crowd sort of claps politely and doesn't seem to get it ! oh well !!
okay, ci vediamo a milano, nice, paris, wherever, i'm REALLY hoping the stones will add a show in rome sometime in september, like someone mentioned !
loochie

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 3, 2006 16:25

Opening for the Stones in Italy:

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 3, 2006 16:26

No its not the Flaming Lips

Posted by: loochie ()
Date: March 3, 2006 16:28

ah ha ha ha ha !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-))))))

Date: March 3, 2006 18:38

loochie Wrote:
> hi,
> most of
> my friends are italians and they definitely think
> i'm a bit strange going all around and spending
> money to see these "vecchietti" (old people i just
> make jokes that the stones are in better shape
> than we are, but they just don't believe me :-)
> well, i don't really care that much - i just
> learned that if i want to see the stones in
> concert, i have to go by myself, because if i wait
> for some friends to decide to go with me, i
> probably won't go at all.

That's exactly what happens to me! On Licks tour I went by myself and met several great italian Stones - fans, and this time I'm going to bring with me in Milan two friends of mine who haven't seen the Stones live yet. I think it's gonna be a great day!

"got to be worked on

Date: March 4, 2006 17:32

questo forum e' pieno di gente che ragiona per luoghi comuni............l'italia e' molto diversa da quello che credono..........comunque speriamo che il sindaco di roma VELTRONI riuscira ' ad organizzare un corcerto free come ha gia' fatto ner SG e PMCCATRNEY..............un audience di 500.000 persone tra il COLOSSEO E PIAZZA VENEZIA,IN UNA CORNICE COSI SUGGESTIVA SARENNE PER GLI STONES L'OCCASIONE PER DVD FANTASTICO..............vedi PINK FLOYD IN POMPEI
se qualcuno vuole tradurre gentilmentye in inglese????????????'thanks

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: March 4, 2006 19:52

I write as someone who has been married to a Italian girl for 25 years and been going to Rome regularly since July 1979.

Firstly August is a decided no-no as they whole country shuts for holidays. They can't seem to plan for more than a week in advance and mostly its 5 minutes in advance. I know I'm going to the Stones at Wembley on 20th and 22nd August and then at Sheffield 27th August and Cardiff 29th August, This is almost incomprehensible to my wife and extended family! The idea that you might put all else aside and plan to go to a concert months in advance is foreign to them!

Posted by: phd ()
Date: March 4, 2006 20:00

Jacopo, I hope you will arrange something for both the local and foreign people before the San Siro date.

Date: March 4, 2006 21:02

schili Wrote:
> questo forum e' pieno di gente che ragiona per
> luoghi comuni............l'italia e' molto diversa
> da quello che credono..........comunque speriamo
> che il sindaco di roma VELTRONI riuscira ' ad
> organizzare un corcerto free come ha gia' fatto
> ner SG e PMCCATRNEY..............un audience di
> 500.000 persone tra il COLOSSEO E PIAZZA
> VENEZIA,IN UNA CORNICE COSI SUGGESTIVA SARENNE PER
> GLI STONES L'OCCASIONE PER DVD
> FANTASTICO..............vedi PINK FLOYD IN POMPEI
> se qualcuno vuole tradurre gentilmentye in
> inglese????????????'thanks

Ok, provo io a tradurre (translation of Schili's post): "This forum is full of people who think by clichés..............Italy is very different from what they believe........by the way, let's hope that Rome's major VELTRONI will manage to arrange a free concert as he's already done for SG and PMCARTNEY................a 550.000 people audience between Colosseo and Piazza Venezia, in such a charming frame would be for the Stones the chance for a fantastic DVD..............like Pink Floyd in Pompei".

Schili, non so a chi ti stia riferendo, ma ti faccio presente che quasi tutti coloro che hanno scritto in questo thread sono o italiani (come me) o vivono o hanno vissuto in Italia, o comunque hanno coniuge italiano. Mi fa piacere che tu abbia una così alta considerazione del nostro paese anche come Stones - country, ma personalmente, pur conoscendo molto molto bene ciò di cui sto parlando, non mi sento di condividerla...
A proposito, secondo te il Vaticano non inizierà a mettere i bastoni tra le ruote a Veltroni nella remota ipotesi in cui si adoperi per organizzare un concerto gratis degli Stones?

"got to be worked on

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-05 00:56 by Wild Slivovitz.

Date: March 4, 2006 21:15

So how many attended this concert 1990 ,this show that wason Jaggers birthday? How many could the stadium take?

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: March 4, 2006 23:22

italians suck.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: March 4, 2006 23:27

I went to Rome twice this year and had a truly great time.I would definetely love to see The Stones there.I still wonder how such an important city like Rome can't get a Stones show.Rome deserves it as much as any other big city of Europe.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1850
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home