Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones in Argentina, why so big ???
Posted by: wälder ()
Date: February 28, 2006 15:45

Hi,

we just came back from our southamerican-Stones-trip...

It just was awesame. I saw the Stones in whole Europe and in the USA during the last years. But nothing is comparable to Argentina. The differences to those Argentinien shows are so big (enthusiasm, age of the crowd, no Las Vegas-feeling, really rock`n`roll,....). I also saw the Stones in Boston/opening night but...

What is the reason the Stones are so big and popular in Argentina!?!? What are the backgrounds.

Some Stones fans from Austria

Re: Stones in Argentina, why so big ???
Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: February 28, 2006 15:53

Perhaps have they just good taste ?

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 28, 2006 15:56

Cause there the Rolling Stones donut!

Posted by: barcelona ()
Date: February 28, 2006 16:17

I think they are not used to see such bands live.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 28, 2006 16:21

Because the opportunity to see them, is a rare one,
so they make the most of it.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 28, 2006 16:22

Perhaps a few on this board should take notice then......

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: February 28, 2006 16:38

Argentina loves a lot rock music and it is thirsty for the Stones. Argentinians had seen them only in 1995 and 1998. Also, Argentina loves always the greatests! It is the country of the greatest rebel (Che) and of the greatest football player (Diego) ever. So this country loves the greatest rock band ever. Logical...

BTW, wälder, i think european crowds are a bit "Argentinians" in comparison to USA. And the crowds in the South Europe are "Argentinians" in comparison to North Europe. We have some variety in Europe...

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: February 28, 2006 17:40

Argentina does not have as many pathetic whiners as Europe and America.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 28, 2006 17:44

very funny...steven...sad but true!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 28, 2006 17:47

I think another factor is that for many years these countries would have been 'deprived' of the Stones for political reasons

Argentina was under military rule until the 1980's. It wasnt really possible for bands like the Stones to play there until after that, so they missed out on the initial wave of Stonesmania that other countries experienced in the 60s and in the 70's.

This was only the 3rd time the Stones have played there. When they first played in 1995, the hysteria you see on the TV coverage - even outside the band's hotel - was akin to something you'd have seen in the US or Europe 30 years earlier.

So, the Stones arent really seen as the grizzled veterans that theyre portrayed in other countries. Theres still a freshness (both musically and culturally) about seeing them and an appreciation from those old enough to remember that 25-30 years previously they probably never would have thought it possible to have seen them

Posted by: jose luis ()
Date: February 28, 2006 17:49

I live in Argentina and I am 53 years old.
In Buenos Aires Live near 13.000.000 people,counting places near , and ever this city Buenos Aires , have been a place where all kind of artist spectacule has thier public.
Cinema, theater, and of course MUSIC.
All kind of music.
Jazz, Blues, Opera, melodic singers.
Buenos Aires had been visted with incredible succesfull by

Rolling Stones year 1995 ,by 5 times
" " 1998, by five times
" " 2006 by 2 times

Bob Dylan 2 times (one with the stones singing together Like a Rolling Stone
John Mayall 2 times
Santana 3 times
Fleetwood mack 1 time
Steve winwood ! tima
Frank Sinatra 1 time
Tony Bennet 1 time
Johnny winter, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Megatheth, Metalica, Tina Turner, Michael Jackson, Paul Mcartney, The band of Duke Ellingtong, Louis Armstrong,
TREMELOES!!!!!!!, U2 4 times, Many Latin Singers, like Diego Torres, Sabina, Serrat, Luis Miguel,
Madonna too, Rod Stewart, and a lot i cant remember now.
But All young people, and Younghearts people like me, ever like Rock and Roll,
and Who is the best and geat band of the World????

For these reason ana many more, The Stones are A BUENOS AIRES CITICENS="PORTEÑOS"

Date: February 28, 2006 17:49

oh, and to follow on from some of the wisecracks above - its also a different audience

Younger in general, less affluent. People who appreciate rock n roll (instead of going just because its another 'legend') and wont sit on their fat corporate arses waiting for Start Me Up and who wont be going to the bog during keith's set

the shows are tailored at those people accordingly.

Real fans. As can be seen by the fact that they still buy copies of the new album - and know the songs

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-28 18:19 by Gazza.

Posted by: SeNdEr ()
Date: February 28, 2006 18:53

because young people loves rock n roll, not hip hop or Coldplay, we love rock n roll, we love good music, we love to dance and we saw the stones only 12 times...

Date: February 28, 2006 19:06

You deserve a lot more shows!!

Date: February 28, 2006 19:26

the stones want big money and americans has the big money, and dollars!, we dont have dollars sad smiley

Date: February 28, 2006 20:38

100% right, mate...

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: February 28, 2006 20:55

I guess I am an "Argentinian" at heart! I'm an American but own ABB and know the songs . . . and certainly WENT NOWHERE during keith's set.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:27

i have just watched the buenos aires show and the atmosphere is awesome. you can see how mick likes it (sometimes he even look a bit scared but can't stop to work the crowd). Midnight rambler lasts something like 11mins and 40secs and most of it is mick working the crowd, beautiful). There's so much feedback from the crowd that you don't care the band @#$%& up a lot (exspecially SFTD). This summer i will bring some bonus shirts with me at the concert...

i think americans should be given a decade free of stones so they can get some thrill back.maybe they will be rocked and rolled by 75 years old rockers properly again

Milan gonna look a lot more like Buenos Aires than Milwakee winking smiley

Posted by: uz2bstoned ()
Date: February 28, 2006 21:50

I don't think it is just that they have not seen much of the band. In Aussie and NZ we hardly see them. But no doubt most will be sitting down and eating pies when they come here. Argentina has lots of young people who like rock n Roll. This is the reason. They are not as obssessed with Rap or listening to Coldplay.

Date: February 28, 2006 23:33

SeNdEr wrote "the stones want big money and americans has the big money, and dollars!, we dont have dollars"

The big audiences are profitable too, even with low(er) ticket prices. I am sure M. Cohl can understand it. Beyond the european leg they 'll play in North America again. Why not in South America, too? Between September 2006 and December 2006 there is time enough for an additional round in South America too. Also there is time for breaks. After six-seven months i think they can sell out easily 2 stadiums in Buenos Aires, two in Brazil (Brazilians didn't spend money to see them so far), atleast one in Mexico- and what about the plans for Chile and Venezuela? A total crowd of 350,000 - 500,000 people is profitable for sure and very good for the tour's figures too. SO PLAY IN SOUTH AMERICA AND FIRST OF ALL IN ARGENTINA AGAIN. THEY DESERVE IT!!!!....

Date: March 1, 2006 01:37

thank you!, i hope to see the stones one more time!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 1, 2006 02:37

I talked to one of the back-up musicians (he asked me not to reveal his name) and he said it was very possible the Stones keep coming to Argentina.
Although I loved it, I must say I liked it better in 1998. The crowd participated a lot more back then: everybody seemed to dig Saint of Me and Anybody Seen My baby, whereas it wasn't the case with Rough Justice and Rain Fall Down this time. I don't know... still the best crowd in the world, but not quite as it used to be. Just like a girl losing her virginity, if I dare say.

Date: March 1, 2006 02:44

SeNdEr, my only problem is that they're playing in River Plate's stadium. I like Bocca Juniors !!!

Date: March 1, 2006 03:26

great news sixesandsevensandnines i hope you are right!!!, and me too stickydion, i love Boca Juniors too!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 1, 2006 04:51

European crowds can not be compared to fans in Argentina. I have seen the Stones on two tours in Argentina and thought the crowd would be more "grown up" and less crazy this time. But it was opposite. The were more crazy and jumping and dancing this time than in 1998. No crowd in the world is anything like the Buenos Aires crowd, and unless you have been there, I don't think it is possible to understand. They are great because they have an extreme passion. For anything in life I think. They are hungry for the Stones and I wish the Stones will be around long enough for yet another tour - to Argentina!

Bjornulf

Date: March 1, 2006 04:55

oh man i hope god and the band hear you Bjornulf!!!!!!, we love the stones!!!, we want more shows here!!! we had the worst stage of the tour but who cares?, we want the stones!

Posted by: goinhome ()
Date: March 1, 2006 08:25

I just got back from Argentina, and it is ground zero for hard core Stones fans. Period. On Monday before the first show, MTV was showing stones videos non-stop (at least before we went ot dinner.) Stuff like Satisfaction from the Hampton '81 Pay Per View (where Keith clocks the guy with his guitar). When we got back, MTV was playing (the film) Gimmee Shelter. It was probably 1994 the last time MTV played the Stones in the US.

The crowd inside of River Plate (I went to the Thurs. 'Rain' show) was like nothing I have ever seen for any band any where ever. The enthusiasm was rampant, and I still feel it in my bones 5 days later. Despite the pouring rain (and a no-alcohol policy in the stadium), the crowd, energy and vibe were amazing. Best show I have ever seen from the Stones. Sure, they were a bit sloppy, but the level of excitement and connection between the fans and the band was unbeatable.

I hope to all hell that they play in BA again. It truly is the Stones capital of the world.

Rock on!

Posted by: BornOnTheBayou ()
Date: March 1, 2006 11:01

The main reason...

ALOT younger fans....

The B.A. concerts are vaguely like Rolling Stones gigs "used" to be...

SO NOTICE... IT'S NOT THE BAND, IT'S THE FANS !!!

IF YOUR FANS ARE ALL POT-BELLIED REAL ESTATE DEVELOPERS (as Anthony Kiedis observed), you're not gonna get the rockin' experience you want so you start hatin' Ronnie, Chuck, Daryl... when it's the fatt-butt american fans that are responsible for the rockin-ness or lack of rockin' at a Stones gig these days...

"It's just that demon life has got me in it's sway..."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home