Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

No one Likes Mick's Solo Albums
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 28, 2006 05:01

I was traveling with my family by car in California recently, and we stopped by a number of Borders, Tower Records and Best Buy stores during our trip. The Stones section was always full, but Mick solo -- virtually nothing. Even the Tower I visited in Pasadena had only She's the Boss ($18.99). It's like these releases have vanished from the face of the earth. ARe they all still in print?

Re: No one Likes Mick's Solo Albums
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: February 28, 2006 05:28

this person like Goddess in the Doorway

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: February 28, 2006 06:17

I Love Wandering Spirit & Goddess is alright too MEZ

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 28, 2006 06:22

"Goddess" is Ok, but I'll take a Keith or Ronnie solo album over any of Mick's.

Date: February 28, 2006 06:35

I'm pretty sure that they're still in print.They're not all over the place but,most large record stores I've been in usually have two or three of the four in stock.

Posted by: gut ()
Date: February 28, 2006 06:50

You can find them in bargain basements....I found Madonna in one the other day.
They suit well next to each other.

#......Go ahead....Bite the Big Apple....Don't mind the Maggots.....Uh Huh...#

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 28, 2006 06:53

I do have them all. And I do like them. So I am nobody.

Bjornulf

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: February 28, 2006 06:56

i love Goddess. One reason is b/c they might be sold out. Sometimes when a record store doesnt have a copy of somethign is b/c it's sold out. Maybe that's why there are 1,000 copies of Sucking in the 70's and 1 copy of Goddess in the Doorway.

Date: February 28, 2006 07:03

Don't get me wrong, while I am not a huge fan, I find them listenable. But, they seem to have faded into obscurity, esp. Primitive Cool and WS (which is my personal favorite). The Stones catalogue, though, is generally all there.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 28, 2006 07:09

Wandering Spirit is an amazing record, probably better than anything the Stones, collectively or individually, have released since Some Girls. I like the best songs on A Bigger Bang more than the best songs on Wandering Spirit, but overall Wandering Spirit is stronger. Not a bad track on there, or even an average one, which is more than I can say for A Bigger Bang.

There's a couple of songs on Goddess I like, ditto for She's The Boss, otherwise those records are total dreck. Primitive Cool is just downright embarassing in its awfulness.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: February 28, 2006 07:38

Ohnonotyouagain,

Right on the $...Wandering Spirit beats any Stones album since SOME GIRLS...too bad Mick puts his ego before Rick Rubin's talent to produce...otherwise we may have had a few more great Stones albums...(no diss to Don Was but he did loss control of the Bridges sessions and the new album could have been better).

Here's my order of Mick's work:

WANDERING SPIRIT ***** No joke...that's right 5 Big Stars!!!!
GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY ***
SHE'S THE BOSS **1/2 - 1/2 A Loaf, Just Another Night and Secrets are great!
PRIMITIVE COOL* - THROWAWAY, PRIMITIVE COOL, KOW TOW, and SHOOT OFF YOUR MOUTH are respectable enough...the cover has my personal vote for the worst album cover in the history of music...Led Zeppilin's paper bag on In Through The Out Door was a better idea.

By the way, anybody have any boots of Mick's tour of Australia in 1987/1988...
As I said before, Mick can smell the $...that's why he never toured behind any solo album in the States...to my knowledge, outside of Saturday Night Live, he has only performed 2 shows in the States...1992 - NYC for Wandering Spirit (I have the boot and the Japanese simulcast) and 2001 - LA at the Viper Room for Goddess In The Doorway...(not including LIVE AID in 1985).

Anybody remember RUTHLESS PEOPLE???? That's a Jagger track that doesn't get much discussion on these posts!

PECMAN

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 28, 2006 08:54

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 21:58 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 28, 2006 10:43

Wandering Spirit was excellent .The rest were pretty forgettable.
A couple of good tunes on each.

Let's work was probably the worst thing every released by any Stone IHHO.

Posted by: barcelona ()
Date: February 28, 2006 10:50

I like Goddess and Spirit

Posted by: terry1 ()
Date: February 28, 2006 12:20

i play micks solo stuff more than the stones albums....this mick bashing thing gets on my nerves...theres more to life than the stones as a unit..ffs its only music

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: February 28, 2006 13:19

Great: "She's the Boss", "Primitive Cool", particularly "Wandering Spirit", boring: "Goddess in the Doorway"

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: February 28, 2006 13:55

if they ..mick and kieth ..would have combined thier solo stuff...would have been Stones Classics!!!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 28, 2006 14:25

You're not speaking on my behalf. I don't adore Mick's solo efforts by any means, but I do genuinely like Wandering spirit and otherwise there's one or two good songs that lurk elsewhere on the others. It's a bit far fetched to say "no-one likes Mick's solo albums". They obviously don't sell like Stones albums, but hey .......... did we expect them to ?

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 28, 2006 15:39

I'm a big fan of Mick's solo work. Of course some are better than others, but the worst...Primitive Cool...is still worth listening to. I really like Keith's two solo works, but he is limited by his voice and some of Ron Wood's stuff is hardly musical.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 28, 2006 15:42

Much easier to find Mick's solo cds than Ronnies. I think Wandering Spirit and Godess are great albums.

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: February 28, 2006 15:46

I love them. // exile and goddess can change a life.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 28, 2006 17:31

i like them...little more up beat...they are a pretty good party albums...
my only big problem is with his record covers....real bad. and p.cool cover is the worst!

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 28, 2006 17:35

Wandering Spirit is one of my favourie cd's of all time..... so please don't assume nobody likes them.

Date: March 1, 2006 05:37

I know that a lot of people on this board like them. In fact, Wandering Spirit is one of my favorites as well. The only reason I feel a bit bittersweet about it is that I wish that he had saved some of those tracks for the Stones.

I was being a bit more general. It seems like his solo albums have disappeared. I am in Tokyo this week, and went to a couple of the major retailers -- same thing, tons of Stones, no Mick.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1347
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home