Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT : Led Zeppelin - why didn't they reunite ?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 24, 2006 22:56

LZ is probably the second group on earth to thrill me. It's the only other group that could move me to cross the Atlantic to see a show.

What happens with Page/Plant versus John Paul Jones ?

Page & Plant toured together ten years ago.

Then Plant toured alone.

After full reunion with Bonham was planned two years ago...

Then nothing.

Re: OT : Led Zeppelin - why didn't they reunite ?
Date: February 24, 2006 23:02

i thought it would have happened by now
God knows how much money they would make
And most of the time money talks
They don;t have much time left to pull it off right
It would be great to see them
Just a quick summer/spring tour and with Jason Bonham it would still be close enough for me. Jason used to do some soundchecks with Zeppelin anyway,right?

I'm still waiting for The Police to jump on the reunion wagon

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: February 24, 2006 23:11

maybe because not every band/artist is swayed and ruled by money

if u have 5m in the bank you don't need 20

there is no need to sell your soul for some extra corporate dollars

unlike our boys yawning smiley(

Date: February 24, 2006 23:22

if they are not ruled or swayed by money
i guess they just don't care to do it
which is kinda sad (but it ain't my band)
i'll still respect them for it

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 24, 2006 23:28

Supposedly Robert & Jimmy had a falling-out a couple of years ago. And Jones was pretty pissed off that he wasn't invited to participate in the original No Quarter reunion back in the mid '90s.

Too bad - I saw P & P in '98 and it was ferocious. I imagine it would only be better with JPJ and Son Of Bonham up there with them.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 24, 2006 23:37

Page and John Paul Jones have been on Plant to do it since at least 1990, but he refuses. He was very close to Bonham and doesn't feel like it would be Zep without him. Plus he feels like it would be taking a step back, wallowing in nostalgia and all that sort of thing.

He also thinks it wouldn't be as good as the original (and really, how could it be?) and would cheapen the band's legacy. He's all about moving forward and doing something new creatively - he always says "Led Zeppelin was very much a creature of its time."

Personally, I'd like to see the three survivors tour as Zep. I love Zeppelin - Zep and the Stones are my two favorite bands. I've seen Plant live five times, including once with Jimmy Page in '95, which was awesome and as close to seeing Zep as I'm ever gonna get.

But even though I'd like them to reunite, I admire Plant for his integrity and sticking to his guns. In a way there is something nice about remembering Zep only as they were - in their prime, in all their glory, with all four original members. They are just about the only band that never changed members and never reunited after breaking up. There's something very cool about that.

P.S. Plant's new album, Mighty Rearranger, is incredibly good. Best of '05 in my opinion, right up there with A Bigger Bang and Beck's Guero. Plant's playing with a young band and manages to combine his trademark style with some new, innovative sounds. It's a million times better than the dog of an album Page and Plant put out in '98, Walking Into Clarksdale. It had one really good song, Most High, and the rest was mediocre to terrible. That one proved the old magic was gone, at least in the studio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-24 23:38 by ohnonotyouagain.

Date: February 24, 2006 23:46

JuanTCB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Supposedly Robert & Jimmy had a falling-out a
> couple of years ago.

Really? I hadn't heard that. Do you have any details?

And Jones was pretty pissed
> off that he wasn't invited to participate in the
> original No Quarter reunion back in the mid '90s.

Yeah, he was not happy about that at all, especially since No Quarter was one of his showcase numbers live. Bad enough they reunited without him, but naming the live album and tour after No Quarter was like rubbing salt in the wound.

I think Plant just didn't want all three survivors of Zep together because he knew people would call it Led Zeppelin even if the group called it Page, Plant and Jones. Also I believe Page and Plant were never that close to Jones - Jones was kind of aloof in the old days, often travelled separately on tour and kept his distance both physically and emotionally.

One of my favorite rock quotes of all time was Plant's hilarious tongue in cheek response to "why wasn't Jones invited to the reunion?" Plant said "because a million dollars split two ways is more than a million dollars split three ways!"

Posted by: Charles ()
Date: February 24, 2006 23:46

John Paul Jones had a right to be angry. For me he was the Brian Jones of the band. He always added that mystical organ or hypnotic bass line that gave their music that added appeal. I saw JPJ in Vegas a few years and it was awesome. I think I liked it better than anything I heard on the "No quarter" tour by Page and Plant. Plant should retire in Cuba and clench on to his Marlboro Lights and Crystal beer can (photo in Hotel Nacional)

Poor old Jimmy couldn't strum cleanly the matted hair of a pestilent back-alley cat if he wanted to nor make it sing or scream the way he used to do.

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: February 24, 2006 23:48

>
> One of my favorite rock quotes of all time was
> Plant's hilarious tongue in cheek response to "why
> wasn't Jones invited to the reunion?" Plant said
> "because a million dollars split two ways is more
> than a million dollars split three ways!"

LOL!! and they call Mick and Keith greedy!

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: February 25, 2006 01:01

Hi really love LEDZEP and P/P but I really believe Page/Plant figured they would have to divide up the $ from the reunion tour 3 ways instead of 2 if JPJ were there( which is REALLY F...KED UP!!!!!!!!). As JPJ said at their Hall of Fame induction "I guess my friends lost my number".

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 25, 2006 01:09

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> JuanTCB Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Supposedly Robert & Jimmy had a
> falling-out a
> > couple of years ago.
>
> Really? I hadn't heard that. Do you have any
> details?

I can't remember them off the top of my head what started it all but a year or so ago, Zep won some award (I think it was a Grammy, either a lifetime achievement or something for the DVD set) and there was a bit of a brouhaha because even though Plant was in town (either NY or LA) at the time, he refused to attend. I think Page made some remark, either to the press or up on the podium when he accepted the award, about how it would have been nice if Percy had shown up. Come to think of it, I think JPJ might have been there, too. I'll see if I can dig anything up.

Found this:

Plant, Page Grammy feud continues
By JAM! Music

Ex-Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant has fired back at his former bandmate Jimmy Page after the guitarist criticized him for being a no-show when the legendary group were honoured at the Grammy Awards earlier this year, ContactMusic.com reports.

Plant, who is getting set to launch a new solo album and tour with his band The Strange Sensation, cited the new project as the reason for not flying to Los Angeles for the award ceremony.

"Jimmy had a bit of a go at me for not being there, but what can you do? What I'm doing now is more important to me," he told ContactMusic.com.

"It's great to look back and smile. But middle-aged self-congratulation is very dangerous."

Led Zeppelin were awarded the Lifetime Achievement Grammy Award on Feb. 12.

Plant will release his new disc "Mighty ReArranger" on May 10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-25 01:13 by JuanTCB.

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: February 25, 2006 01:35

Plant has had many humorous comments on this topic, though I wish he would
have kept his mouth shut and done it. ie, "Page thinks that western civilization is dependent on a Zeppelin reunion and I do not see it in those terms."

I saw Page and Plant on the last show of the US '95 tour and was BLOWN AWAY how good they were--Page, had cleaned up his act and sounded better then he had since '75. It crushes all my Zep bootlegs from '77 where he was, I will be kind here, erratic--generally within the same show--Go figure!!

It was criminal that JPJ was not part of the reunion. Shabby treatment for a GREAT musician and class guy.

Date: February 25, 2006 01:49

JuanTCB Wrote:
> ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> -----
> > JuanTCB Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Supposedly Robert & Jimmy had a
> > falling-out a
> > > couple of years ago.
> >
> > Really? I hadn't heard that. Do you have any
> > details?
>
> I can't remember them off the top of my head what
> started it all but a year or so ago, Zep won some
> award (I think it was a Grammy, either a lifetime
> achievement or something for the DVD set) and
> there was a bit of a brouhaha because even though
> Plant was in town (either NY or LA) at the time,
> he refused to attend. I think Page made some
> remark, either to the press or up on the podium
> when he accepted the award, about how it would
> have been nice if Percy had shown up. Come to
> think of it, I think JPJ might have been there,
> too. I'll see if I can dig anything up.
>
> Found this:
>
> Plant, Page Grammy feud continues
> By JAM! Music
>

Cool, thanks for the info. Now that you mention it I do remember hearing something about that at the time but not any of the details. You would think Plant would have attended the ceremony. Maybe he knew if he did it would touch off a bunch of "will they get back together?" speculation that he didn't want to deal with.

I'd like to see Page, JPJ and Jason Bonham get a new singer and record an album. It wouldn't be Zeppelin, but it would be interesting and potentially very good. Supposedly Page is working on a solo album and has been since around '99. He played a new song, an instrumental called Domino, at the Net Aid concert in '99 and it was pretty good.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 25, 2006 03:21

From a chat I had several years ago with JPJ,I walked away with the sense that he (JPJ) is the reason there would never be a reunion of the three.

JPJ was pissed that he was not involved in the 1994/95 reunion...however, as the 1995 tour went on, HUGE royality checks from Atlantic rolled in. The Led Zep catalog was flying off the shelves. He did quite well and never had to leave his house.

There were discussions a few yrs ago of the 3 getting back together and this time JPJ turned the tables and would not participate..denying Robert and Jimmy (and himself) a huge payday. It was funny during the interviews Jimmy did for the DVD box set explain that a reunion could not take place because that "magic" was not there.

It's not all about money with JPJ, he is very genuine and still enjoys recording for recording sake. His two solo releases were brilliant.

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: February 25, 2006 03:59

I would love Zeppelin getting back together. I saw them back in 1973, caught the Page/plant tour back in '95. Love them live but, I thought "Walking into Clarksdale" was mediocre to say the least. Plant's last three CDs, have managed to top themselves with each release.Songs like "I believe" and "Darkness, Darkness" are worthy of the Zeppelin catalog. The only person who would benefit from a reunion would be Page. He, like Keith, seems to have lost his mojo. Yes keith is writing and performing but, Where's the riffs? Well, I digress. Plant does not need Zeppelin. Buy his new CD. Go see him. You won't regret it. Saw him this past summer, great show!

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: February 25, 2006 04:12

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> JuanTCB Wrote:

> I'd like to see Page, JPJ and Jason Bonham get a
> new singer and record an album. It wouldn't be
> Zeppelin, but it would be interesting and
> potentially very good.

Sounds like a job for David Coverdale. He's been trying to be Robert Plant for years. Or Jack Russell from Great White. Same difference.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: February 25, 2006 11:29

The more Led Zep boots I hear, the more important Bonham becomes. The three remaining members with another drummer would sound great, I'm sure...but not as good as the original four. Page went to great lengths to recruit the right mix into LZ when he put it together, and I just can't imagine another other drummer giving him that drive. Baker, Moon etc are all brilliant, but not the same.

I've seen Page & Plant many times over the years, and I'm sure they could still do some great gigs with JPJ, but certainly some of the magic would be gone. I still haven't been to a gig since Knebworth '79 that topped it. Cream came pretty close last year, though! and yes, the Stones at Wembley Arena a couple of years back were great too....

I'm sure glad Page & Plant didn't call themselves Led Zeppelin when they got together 10 years ago, unlike some bands I could mention (the Who).

Lee

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 25, 2006 11:48

I think the problem is that Plant is not able to sing the high notes of his old songs the way he use to do.
Mick Jagger got the luck that most songs are much lower.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 25, 2006 12:01

andy js Wrote:
> >
> maybe because not every band/artist is swayed and
> ruled by money
>
> if u have 5m in the bank you don't need 20
>
> there is no need to sell your soul for some extra
> corporate dollars
>
> unlike our boys

Yak yak yak. Get over it pal.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 25, 2006 12:19

andy js Wrote:

> if u have 5m in the bank you don't need 20

The true story you can find in the Donald Duck magazin.

If you don't have a copy, here you go

[www.diamondgalleries.com]

Date: February 26, 2006 14:35

trainarollin Wrote:
> From a chat I had several years ago with JPJ,I
> walked away with the sense that he (JPJ) is the
> reason there would never be a reunion of the
> three.
>
> JPJ was pissed that he was not involved in the
> 1994/95 reunion...however, as the 1995 tour went
> on, HUGE royality checks from Atlantic rolled in.
> The Led Zep catalog was flying off the shelves. He
> did quite well and never had to leave his house.

Very cool that you met JPJ. I'd never thought about the royalties from the back catalogue during the reunion ... Page and Plant as the primary songwriters probably made more from Zep royalties than ticket sales. Bonham's heirs had to be happy as well.

I don't blame JPJ for being pissed, they should have included him, called it Page, Plant and Jones and ignored anyone who called it Zeppelin. It would have been really amazing. It might have been one too many egos in one room, though; the tensions between Page and Plant must have been bad enough without all three of them bouncing off each other.

> There were discussions a few yrs ago of the 3
> getting back together and this time JPJ turned the
> tables and would not participate..denying Robert
> and Jimmy (and himself) a huge payday. It was
> funny during the interviews Jimmy did for the DVD
> box set explain that a reunion could not take
> place because that "magic" was not there.
>

That is interesting, I hadn't heard that. Where did you get your info? Was it from JPJ or a magazine article, etc? I'm not doubting you, I'm just very interested in the subject. This is the kind of behind the scenes stuff that I can really get into.

> It's not all about money with JPJ, he is very
> genuine and still enjoys recording for recording
> sake. His two solo releases were brilliant.
>

I agree, his two solo albums are terrific, as are Plant's last few. I don't know if Jimmy has writer's block or what, but it's a shame he isn't putting stuff out.

I agree it's not about the money for JPJ, or Plant either for that matter. They both have more than enough and care far more about the music. Now Page has always had that reputation as cheap/greedy, and he's not making music now, so I'm not as sure about him.

Date: February 26, 2006 14:48

stonesfan70 Wrote:
> ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> -----
> > JuanTCB Wrote:
>
> > I'd like to see Page, JPJ and Jason Bonham
> get a
> > new singer and record an album. It wouldn't
> be
> > Zeppelin, but it would be interesting and
> > potentially very good.
>
> Sounds like a job for David Coverdale. He's been
> trying to be Robert Plant for years. Or Jack
> Russell from Great White. Same difference.

Actually, that Page/Coverdale album from '93 is sort of a guilty pleasure for me. But I can't stand Coverdale's late eighties heavy metal Whitesnake stuff. As for Great White, the less said the better.

I was thinking more along the lines of Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes, or maybe Johnny Lang.

Date: February 26, 2006 14:52

lmatth8461 Wrote:
> The more Led Zep boots I hear, the more important
> Bonham becomes. The three remaining members with
> another drummer would sound great, I'm sure...but
> not as good as the original four. Page went to
> great lengths to recruit the right mix into LZ
> when he put it together, and I just can't imagine
> another other drummer giving him that drive.
> Baker, Moon etc are all brilliant, but not the
> same.

Excellent point. There's a strong arguement to be made that Zeppelin was four equal parts that produced a whole greater than the sum of their individual selves, and if you take one element out of that equation it just isn't the same.

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: February 26, 2006 21:16

Actually Great White put out an entire album of Zeppelin covers a few years back that sounded a lot like the originals.

Chris Robinson did a great job singing the Zep tunes on the Page/Black Crowes tour.

I love Jonny Lang but I can't see that ever happening. He did however play in Roger Daltrey's band for a charity show once.

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> stonesfan70 Wrote:
> -----
> > ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > JuanTCB Wrote:
> >
> > > I'd like to see Page, JPJ and Jason
> Bonham
> > get a
> > > new singer and record an album. It
> wouldn't
> > be
> > > Zeppelin, but it would be interesting
> and
> > > potentially very good.
> >
> > Sounds like a job for David Coverdale. He's
> been
> > trying to be Robert Plant for years. Or
> Jack
> > Russell from Great White. Same difference.
>
> Actually, that Page/Coverdale album from '93 is
> sort of a guilty pleasure for me. But I can't
> stand Coverdale's late eighties heavy metal
> Whitesnake stuff. As for Great White, the less
> said the better.
>
> I was thinking more along the lines of Chris
> Robinson of the Black Crowes, or maybe Johnny
> Lang.
>

Posted by: Bomber ()
Date: February 26, 2006 21:22

The R&R Hall of Fame induction speech bt JPJ said it all....

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 26, 2006 21:23

Record sale royalties are a huge incentive to tour. Every time the band YES goes out, there is a HUGE spike in sales and everyone is happy. The Page/Plant tour did the same thing for John Paul Jones, he sat back while everyone else did the work...and did not have the travel and touring hassels.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: February 26, 2006 21:39

Didn't those guys promise J. Bonham's widow that they wouldn't drag the son into the music biz? I thought I had read that somewhere along time ago.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 26, 2006 21:48

I think its very honourable that they stuck to all their principles and resisted all temptations to reunite

Had they done so, it would have been probably the biggest grossing tour of all time.

Date: February 27, 2006 02:55

Gazza Wrote:
> I think its very honourable that they stuck to all
> their principles and resisted all temptations to
> reunite
>
> Had they done so, it would have been probably the
> biggest grossing tour of all time.

It still could be. They are holding out until they can make enough money to raise Bonham from the dead. The technology is only years away, at $500 billion per reanimation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2596
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home