Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What about the worst year in Stones history
Date: February 23, 2006 20:44

I vote for 1987. Two words: Primitive Cool. The video for Let's Work almost made me throw my copy of Sticky Fingers out the window.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-23 20:46 by Somestupidwithaflaregun.

Re: What about the worst year in Stones history
Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 23, 2006 20:46

1967 - 3 were in jail! almost no more stones...

Date: February 23, 2006 20:49

then i say 1977..
keith arrested in canada....almost the end of the stones again!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 23, 2006 20:52

Wierd one for me...1969....kinda the best and the worst....Lost Brian, but the Stones did their first chameleon change...

JR

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 23, 2006 20:56

'85: She's The Boss, World War III begins, Live Aid, Charlie was junked out, and Stu's death.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: February 23, 2006 20:57

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-23 01:54 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 23, 2006 20:57

>> 1969 ... kinda the worst and the best <<

indeed -
yikes, who *are* these people?!
oh yeah - pleased to meet you: it's the Rolling Stones.

Date: February 23, 2006 21:08

WHAT 1969!!! that has to be one of the very best year....sadly we lost brian jones who was fired by the stones.. but with a new hit single a GREAT ALBUM and the biggest tour in the history of rock, for its time...the rolling stones could not have had a better year...after the mess with all the drug busts they were on top again in 1969.....

Posted by: BrianKeith ()
Date: February 23, 2006 21:13

BRIAN leaves the Rolling Stones and later died!
The End of the young Boys Chapter!

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: February 23, 2006 21:15

Yeah, I'm down for 1986 or 87. Altho, that time period did allow Keith to do the Chuck Berry movie and tour with the Winos in '88.

But, cirrhosis, I, too, dread the day when Rarities is re-mixed, re-mastered and regurgitated.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 23, 2006 21:18

[peering hard] ... you see where it says *best and* worst, hot stuff?
or is that only showing up on my screen?
the hard bits in the years you named are all part of who they are too, so ...
so i agree with Cirrhosis, although i admit it's only a rumour.

Date: February 23, 2006 21:25

YEA the worst year for the stones.....i said ...1967. brian, keith and mick all went to jail...and i think it was the end for brian too.....brian jones was not really a part of the band by 1969....the end came for him back in 1967!

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: February 23, 2006 21:30

'86-'87 hands down, creatively

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: February 23, 2006 21:33

1969.. Brian getting kicked out of the band and dying was such a tragedy.. They had to hire a session musician like Taylor. He played good but had no rock star character like Brian did.. luckily they found Ron..

Posted by: troubador ()
Date: February 23, 2006 21:38

'69--The highs--Let It Bleed, the closest rival to Exile for greatest album--are ouytpaced by too many lows--Brian Jones kicks it, cruddy performance at Hyde Park, bootleggers beat the band's own live album by months and worst of all, Stones stumble into disaster at Altamont

Posted by: theboys ()
Date: February 23, 2006 21:43

Worst year? Has to start with an 8

shadobee

Posted by: redrum ()
Date: February 23, 2006 21:45

1987: According to Ronnie, one (or more?) of the Stones offices were closed down. Followed closely by 1986: no tour, Keith "..if Mick tours without this band, I'll slit his throat!". During those years, it really looked like the band was over.

1969: Brian died,which was awful, but was counteracted by fact that the band put out a great album & tour. The events of this year made clear the band was here to stay.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: February 23, 2006 21:49

Hot Stuff says, "........brian jones was not really a part of the band by 1969....the end came for him back in 1967!.."

This is the popular myth, that from 1967 Brian was totaly stoned, out of his head and unable to function - however I don't agree. Yes, Brian was junked up some of the time, but not all the time. The solo on 'No Expectations' proves this. He appeared with the band during the pollwinners show in 1968, he was on the JJF video in 1968 and also Rock and Roll Circus performance. There are pics of him and Mick (recently posted here) during the 68/69 period, clearly having a laugh and him looking ok. He made it out to Morrocco during 69 to record the pipe music and was apparantly looking forward to participating in the Let it Bleed sessions. Who's to say he could not have recovered from his problems. Don't forget - Mick and Keith gave up on Brian - he didn't leave the band voluntarily.

I think we should maybe be a bit more open minded about Brians final years with the Stones.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 23, 2006 21:49

Somestupidwithaflaregun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I vote for 1987. Two words: Primitive Cool. The
> video for Let's Work almost made me throw my copy
> of Sticky Fingers out the window.
>

JuanTCB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> '85: She's The Boss, World War III begins, Live
> Aid, Charlie was junked out, and Stu's death.

I think it's a tie between those two. I liked '86 because I actually like most of Dirty Work, but '85 and '87 were low points for sure.

Date: February 23, 2006 21:53

Decidedly 1974. Keith was immobilized by heroin, Mick T. quit, and the band seemed to be past its sell by date.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: February 23, 2006 21:53

not to beat a dead horse...but 1969 saw their biggest hit with honky tonk woman..
altamont was a great stones concert...check out the movie...it ended the biggest tour in rock history...1969 recorded the best live album the stones have ever released.. they released their best album let it bleed in 1969 . they recorded their 2nd best album, sticky fingers in 1969. they had 3 gold disks in 2 months. let it bleed, through the past darkly and h.t.w... they were on top of the world..and they became the greatest rock and roll band in the world after putting a end of the beatles in 1969.....i see this as a great year....sorry.

Date: February 23, 2006 22:01

i said 1967 because jagger/richards were forcing brian out...and with brian's drug bust he was all alone... brian jones was great...there be no stones without brian... but for the most part brain was not the leader or even the driving force behind the stones like he was on tsmr, or aftermath....
by the time 1969 came jagger/richards had decided to can brian...and brian agreed...they all agreed to end it...so it was not like brian made a fuss or did anything to stay on....he agreed...and wanted out of the stones.. he could have said no, and tied the stones up in court for months...but he didn't!
so again, 1967, no music no tour and almost no stones....

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 23, 2006 22:21

I think it was the mid 80's with Stu dying, and the boys fighting, and the most of Dirty Work being not to my taste. I think it was roughly at that point that they started to lose a little bit of their coolness factor, which saddened me greatly.

Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: February 23, 2006 22:41

1983-1989

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: February 23, 2006 22:44

85 and 87

1986 saw their only gig of the mid 80s (for Stu) and Keith put together a band for the excellent "Hail Hail RnR" movie/gig.

I loved his playing on that film.

Oh.............. and DW came out !

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: February 23, 2006 22:59

From late 67 / early 68 on, Brian was bearly in the band anymore - maybe on the pictures, but musically he was very little present - a small guitar part here and there ..... BB was more or less made by Mick, Keith, Bill and Charlie....

Worst year(s) 84-89: DW - terrible record, (bad) solo efforts, no consert activity, Charlie on drugs, Stu died etc......

Posted by: winter ()
Date: February 24, 2006 00:03

i'm going with 1985. they had been touring every 3 years since '66 until this year. US got '66, '69, '72, '75, '78, '81, and european leg was usually the following year. for once, i had a job that i could set my own hours (boston cab driver) and was ready to see multiple shows on what should have been a '84 US/'85 euro tour. stu dies, jagger goes solo, and the band gets ready to record Back to Zero. Ugh!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 24, 2006 00:20

you make a very good case, winter - and you didn't even mention the Live Aid debacle!

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: February 24, 2006 00:44

Winter is right. What a shitty year.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 24, 2006 00:51

1985 - insult to injury for Dylan fanatics like me - no tour and what turns out to be one of worst albums (Empire Burlesque) which begets a run of 3 horrific years for him. Not good years for this here Dylan/Stones fan....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1237
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home