Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Memories of the Stones in Buffalo in 1975
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 21, 2006 16:03

Debra,

I saw a post where you said the 75 Buffalo show was the best you have EVER seen. I am proud to say that I do live in Buffalo, however my mom would not let me attend that show as I was 12 years old at the time. But my brother did attend both the June and August shows and he ribs me about it to this day. I think that he did not want to be responsible for watching out for me.

So my mom sent me to my cousins house to spend the night and my memory is watching the 11:00 news and the anchor saying "lets go out to Rich Stadium for live shot of the Rolling Stones" I saw Mick prancing around in white outfit. I felt terrible that I missed something special.

There was hundreds of arrests for drugs and plenty of mayhem. Could you give me your thoughts on show and what made it special for you.

Anyone else too please chime in. I'd love to hear your stories.

Re: Memories of the Stones in Buffalo in 1975
Posted by: Steven ()
Date: February 21, 2006 16:14

My first show as well and the best by far because of the energy level.

My memory is 30 years old at this point and I was quite wasted at the time, but there are a few things I would like confirmed by others who were there. I believe it was the flat lotus stage, not the folding one you see in LA 75.

I recall the excitement of the opening chords to HTW, seeing Keith, looking frantically for my first glimpse of Mick, and he then popped up on stage through the hole to be used later for the giant cock. Can anyone confirm these smoky memories?

The opening rockers including ADTL and IYCRM were blistering. Billy Preston was very entertaining. The underlit lotus stage remains to this day the coolest thing I have ever seen.

As for the August show memories of it are even more hazy. Steven Davis says Mick and Keith took acid before the show. The were many sheets of it being passed around in the stands. It was one hell of a party to close that leg of the tour.

Date: February 21, 2006 16:33

I think the first show was indoors at the old Memorial Auditorium (the Aud as we refer to it) and he did use the inflatable dick prop as my brother would tell me.

What a treat to have them return 2 months later the people were rabid.

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: February 21, 2006 16:40

I was at the Aug 8 show in Buffalo, right up front. Tho it was a long time ago and I, like everyone else, was under the influence of various substances, I do remember it quite well. I would say no way Jagger was tripping on acid, his performance was just too good, too focused. Now Keith????....maybe.

I was actually a bit scared from the push towards the stage from behind. Seemed like evryone wanted to get close (general seating for the show). Midnight Rambler was incredible, Jagger whipping the stage with his scarf..very intense. Also lots of mic sharing with Keith. Billy Preston I didnt care for too much.

Can't remember which song it was (maybe Rambler?) but I got soaked with one of several buckets of water Jagger threw out into th crowd

A great show and good warmup, too, from the Outlaws and Bobby Womack.

After the show me and my crew were so wasted that we could not drive back to Syracuse. Security came by and told us to lift the hood of my friend's '65 Plymouth wagon to make it appaer as we had car trouble. In ther morning a cleaning crew came by and woke us upby slamming the hood down and laughing at our driver, whom we had dressed up to look quite funny including "flip tops" in his nose. Ours was the only vehicle in a huge parking lot that looked like a trashed wasteland.

A wild time for sure!

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: February 21, 2006 16:40

I wasnt there, but if you dont have the bootleg "Heartbreakers in Buffalo" which I think is from the show you are mentioning,you should get it, that will really bring back your memories, its amazing.

Posted by: WNY Stones ()
Date: February 21, 2006 17:19

Hello; I am from the Buffalo area too. It was my first concert at the age of 15. The tickets were sold at Cavages record stores. By the time I got there they were sold out. I ended up buy a ticket for $15.00 from a scalper that was posted in The Buffalo News. Face value was $9.00!! Greatest concert I ever saw. The Aud rocked. I still have all the newspaper articles from that show!! The Jazz Crusaders were the opening band. This was Larry Carlton's band of Steely Dan fame.

Date: February 21, 2006 17:23

WNY Stones,

What part of the city are you from?

I used to go to cavages at the main place mall in its day. I think everyone robbed a record or two from the bins.

Date: February 21, 2006 17:56

Im just south in the great city of Lack... I would go to the Seneca Mall to hang out. Staight to the R section and stare at copies of Hot Rocks. I have all the clippings from the Rich Stadium show too. I think the Main place mall still gets ripped of everyday. Where are you from Sicilian?

Date: February 21, 2006 18:05

South Buffalo, I spent a lot of time in the Seneca Mall especially at the movie theatres.

First time I saw the Stones was at Rich Stadium in 1978. I think their name is still spray painted on the bridge overpass on Southwestern Blvd.

Date: February 21, 2006 19:05

IT IS STILL THERE. There is a new one from 1997. In the book Journey Trough America it has a great picture of Mick standing on the 50 yard line after the 1975 concert at Rich Stadium. The place looks like a dump yard. VERY COOL. yes I was at the theaters alot. Maninly to see Gimmie Shelter and Ladies and Gentlmen

Date: February 22, 2006 03:11

My brother called me today from Iraq (he is working there) and I asked him his opinion of which of the 2 shows he attended that he thought was best and he said the first one indoors.

He said at the show in August the Stones were too f##cked up, along with everyone else and did not sound as good as the first. However it was a great show. Which makes me wonder did they really drop some acid that night as was rumored?

But that is his opinion.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 22, 2006 03:17

Well, if they did acid, or if they didn't do acid.... at least they had been partying really hard before going on stage, as it was the tour finale.

Date: February 22, 2006 03:27

I've seen them a couple of times in Toronto twice at the beginning and end of the tour but to see them in 75 two months apart and to end the tour is a total heartbreaker for me.

Because I know that rock was at its peak back then and from there it was all on the downside.

No wonder its called heartbreakers in Buffalo, I think they were talking about me.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 22, 2006 04:05

You saw them in Toronto??? The first Toronto show is released on "Luxury In Toronto"(VGP), in really EXCELLENT audience quality. It's even better than Buffalo. I got "Toronto" (OBR), but the VGP is a bit better. My goodness, you are lucky!

Date: February 22, 2006 05:34

Erik,

I saw them 5 times in Toronto:

9/3/89 CNE Stadium
12/4/89 Skydome

8/20/94 CNE Stadium
12/3/94 Skydome

10/18/02 Skydome

Date: February 22, 2006 13:02

I went to bothe Buffalo and both Toronto shows in 75. The firts Buffalo show was the best, IMHO. Could be because it was the first, however.

As great as those 75 shows were that rivaled the 72/73 tour (no Taylor but much more glitz and longer sets), the Who show in Buffalo 12/75 was its equal!

Date: February 22, 2006 15:53

The Stones did play in Buffalo in 72 but I think there are no boots available, again my brother attended that show and said it was great.

He also saw Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd in Buffalo the same year. Sounds like a good year for concerts.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 22, 2006 16:00

The Sicilian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > The Stones did play in Buffalo in 72

Are you sure?

Date: February 22, 2006 16:19

They did not play Buffalo in 72. My wife did see them in Buffalo in 1966 however.

Date: February 22, 2006 16:54

My fault it was Toronto sometime in the summer of 72

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 22, 2006 17:06

I saw them in Cleveland in '75 which was just a day or two before the first Buffalo show as I recall. They WERE amazing.

Cleveland '78... now that's another story entirely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1407
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home