Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

what acoustic on sister morphine?
Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 17, 2006 18:40

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 21:34 by Beelyboy.

Re: what acoustic on sister morphine?
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 17, 2006 18:52

That is kind of a hard one to answer, unless you just ahppen to know the answer.
But to me it is the guitar that Jagger carries around in the movie "Performance" for a while. Marianne said that the way SM came into being was that when she, Keith and Jagger lived together he was carrying around a guitar for days and days, always playing the same chord (the opening A minor) from SM. Finally Keith relented and they wrote a song around it. This is Marianne telling it.
Since that was the same general period I imagine it to be that guitar.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Date: February 17, 2006 19:03

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 21:34 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: February 17, 2006 19:06

Haven't seen Performance in years - is the guitar in question that sunburst Gibson Hummingbird that Keith is playing in Sympathy For The Devil?

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: February 17, 2006 19:10

I was about to answer the same. I suppose it's one of these (pic posted by CindyC on the 60s pics thread):

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 17, 2006 19:17

Speaking of the film "Performance", I read the book by Colin McCabe on it and it opened up a whole new part of that movie for me. I had to rewatch it many times and have learned to appreciate it much much more. There were many layers of intrigue, re-writes, kabal, sex and suicide involved.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 17, 2006 19:21

if memory serves (which it may not), the Twins are both playing cherry-sunburst Hummingbirds in CindyC's still from SFTD (the movie),
and Brian's got the tobacco-sunburst Gibson J200 that Keith uses in Rock & Roll Circus.

Date: February 17, 2006 19:22

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-05 21:35 by Beelyboy.

Date: February 17, 2006 19:29

>> but it IS in the studio... <<

yeah: Olympic Studios, to be exact - june 1968.
they're working on SFTD. the tres cool photo is a still from the Godard film of the same name.

here are some specs for 1960s Hummingbirds, from this great site:
[www.provide.net]

1960 Hummingbird introduction specs: 16.25" wide, Gibson's first square shoulder dreadnought, mahogany back and sides (often the side was laminated), adjustable saddle on the rosewood top belly bridge, 3-ply maple bridge plate, single "X" braced spruce top, pickguard with 2 points on upper treble bout and 1 point level with bridge, engraved hummingbird on pickguard, multiple bound top, bound fingerboard with double parallelagram inlays, 24.75" scale mahogany neck, crown peghead inlay, gold tuners, cherry sunburst finish.
1962, 1963 Hummingbird specs: Some with maple back and sides, $250 list price.
1963 Hummingbird specs: Natural top finish with cherry back and sides optional. Pickguard slightly reduced in size.
1965 Hummingbird specs: The sides around the neck and at the end pin sometimes painted black. This hides where Gibson over-sanded the body, and sanded through the top layer of the mahogany laminated side!
1968 Hummingbird specs: Bottom belly bridge that is more squarish, some with tobacco sunburst, some pickguards attached with screws.
1969 Hummingbird specs: Bracing changed to be large and bulky, with tone suffering.

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-17 19:41 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 17, 2006 19:55

The acoustic guitar is played by Keith Richards, it is far to skillful and powerful to be Jagger. If I trust my ears, it is a Gibson Hummingbird. By the way, Brian's guitar is not a J200, but the slimmer J-185, wich has a less booming sound than the Hummingbird.

Mathijs

Date: February 17, 2006 19:59

>> Brian's guitar is not a J200, but the slimmer J-185 <<

thank you kindly for the fine-tuning, Mathijs!
*is* it the same instrument that Keith's using for No Expectations at the Rock & Roll Circus?

meanwhile, a slightly different millisecond from the shot CindyC & Bruno posted ...

- Olympic Studios, june 1968 (courtesy BrownEyedGirll as usual, i bet!)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-18 00:36 by with sssoul.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 17, 2006 21:46

Hey withsssoul, I like your picture better. Keith has a better expression.

I'm still trying to find a few pictures of him when he's playing bass. You know that scene, where he's kind of by himself in the studio. He's wearing this outfit. That's my scene is my all-time favorite look of Keith.
What a sexy man!

Wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 17, 2006 21:52

I love the dumbfounded look on his face. But the sunglasses in the studio while mick is showing him a new song is a bit... passive-aggressive. No wonder it sounded so timid at first.

Date: February 17, 2006 22:30

apparently there are lots of ways to interpret that look on his face. :E
anyway! here you go, CindyC - my esteemed and very deft cohort BrownEyedGirll caught this one:

- june 1968, courtesy of BrownEyedGirll

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: February 17, 2006 22:36

Thanks withsssoul!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 18, 2006 00:25

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >> Brian's guitar is not a J200, but the
> slimmer J-185 <<
>
> thank you kindly for the fine-tuning, Mathijs!
> *is* it the same instrument that Keith's using for
> No Expectations at the Rock & Roll Circus?
>
Yep, it's the same guitar. It also shows up in Keith's hands on the Pay Pack and Follow CD of John Philips.

Mathijs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1476
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home