Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is ABB considered a hit worldwide?
Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: February 16, 2006 01:09

I know ABB hit #1 on the global chart as well as the European chart. It also got to #1 in at least 10 seperate countries #2 in the UK and #3 in the USA.

Streets of Love and Rain Fall Down charted fairly high in countires around the world. While Rough Justice and Oh No, Not you Again charted in America on the rock charts (whatever they call them)

The album was certified (1 million sold) platinum in the US (although I could swear I read that the record sold about 500k thus far in the USA) and has sold around 2.3-2.5 million records thus far worldwide. Would this be considered a hit?

Worldwide ABB sales are close to Kanye West and Mariah Carey (they both sold well in the US but no where near as well anywhere else)

It seems the record has done very well outside the USA where it's sales were mediocre.

Any thoughts?

Re: Is ABB considered a hit worldwide?
Posted by: mttlacroix ()
Date: February 16, 2006 01:10

i think it was a hit.

rolling stone magazine gave it really good publicity.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 16, 2006 01:18

Well it @#$%&' clobbered me and still does!! So does that count as hit?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 16, 2006 01:28

it hasn't done too well in my house

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 16, 2006 01:34

It was great and it still holds up!!!just like EEEEEEEEEE...Exile!!!every one knows the times changed..

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: February 16, 2006 01:52

it's a hit, though I don't think the Stones consider it to be one. otherwise, they would be playing more of its excellent songs live!

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 16, 2006 01:55

it was a mild hit....really a shame the fans in the usa didn't go and buy it...great album....as i said before the stones should have just added the cd with every ticket sold....then you would have 1,000,000 units sold in the usa...
the rest of the world was smarter when it comes to rock and roll!

Posted by: LittleHelper ()
Date: February 16, 2006 02:19

i was expecting this album to be played on the radio ALOT!!
songs like ONNYA and rough justice or even streets of love.
i think its a hit. needed more promotion in the u.s.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 16, 2006 03:08

Needed more exposure LIVE - The shows I saw were terrific, but the last ones in January featured merely 3 ABB songs, and that's my only real complaint. They were doing 4 before it was even released. Only way to expose the album is to play 4, 5, 6 songs live - because radio pretty much ignored it. 500,000 ain't bad for a band that's been recording for 43 years, but it's a letdown after 40 Licks, Bridges, & Voodoo.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: February 16, 2006 03:13

How many copies have Bridges and Voodoo sold in the US?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 16, 2006 03:14

What's the panic?....Exile didn't really have a hit either now it's considered the greatest!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 16, 2006 03:36

>>>How many copies have Bridges and Voodoo sold in the US?

Bridges: 1.250,000
VL: 2.100,000

>>Exile didn't really have a hit either now it's considered the greatest!

Exile was a big hit, #1 during 4 weeks and 3x Platinum. Tumbling Dice and Happy were big hits too.

Back to the topic, I think that it was an decent hit in the big part of the world with sales over 100,000 copies in 10-15 countries.
The market has changed a lot in the last 4-5 years, if we see the US top 200 of this week there are few albums with sales over 1 million.

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: February 16, 2006 04:05

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-23 01:42 by cirrhosis.

Posted by: Gotthesilver ()
Date: February 16, 2006 04:46

i'm a big stones fan and rock fan in general in the u.s. but i don't actively seek out new stones music. i have *never* heard anything from ABB on the radio. the only time i've heard any of the songs have been when i went to the official web site for the stones and listened to some (wasn't really blown away), at the super bowl, and on ads where a small excerpt is played. i'd have to guess the vast majority of americans have had less exposure to it than that.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: February 16, 2006 07:33

Of course it is a hit! ABB will sell about 3 million copies. Nowadays, in the years of downloading, this number is as if they had sold 5 million units 10-15 years ago. In Europe ABB was #14 best selling in 2005. They outsell worldwide famous new bands like White Stripes and Strokes, bands very successful in the 80s or 90s like Depeche Mode and Simple Minds and- of course- every legendary act which was born in the sixties...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 16, 2006 09:19

I don't think it's considered a hit unless it tops the charts in the US and stays there for a short while. ABB got to #3 and was gone right after. No a hit, but a semi-hit I think. Too bad since the record ROCKS!!!!

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: phd ()
Date: February 16, 2006 09:38

Agree. Metrics would range a Hit : 7 millions, Semi-Hit : 3.5 Millions. Potential record buyers of a Stones record shrink as long as an undisputable warhose immerge from a record. Last one was SMU. Regrettable as ABB is a pure Stones rock product. Way much better than VL or BTB

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 16, 2006 09:40

It's certainly an awesome one, but almost nothing beats VL.....

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: February 16, 2006 09:51

Despite the fact that I think ABB is by far the best album since a very long time not only in Stones terms I enjoy much more seeing them live than hearing them back home without the atmosphere.
For me the magic for the Stones is the stage and not really the recording studio. However if you see Keith and Ronnie on the DVDs just playing and playing it's wonderful and I wish to have them at one of my garden parties or was it five o'clock tea????

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 16, 2006 10:10

hot stuff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
....as i
> said before the stones should have just added the
> cd with every ticket sold....then you would have
> 1,000,000 units sold in the usa...
>

That is an excellent idea! some $20 wouldn't mean anything in 400$ tickets... In fact there are two merits here:
(1) The CD would make it number one one charts easily = good publicity for the Stones, the snow ball effect, etc.
(2) The people who buy the ticket will have the opportunity (forced?) to listen the album, and to get familiar with the new songs. It would be much easier for The Stones to play the new songs live, and not without the fear that a new song will mean a piss break.

But, are there some laws against this short of package business?

- Doxa

Posted by: phd ()
Date: February 16, 2006 10:13

Rockingfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> For me the magic for the Stones is the stage and
> not really the recording studio.

I don't agree at all with this. This is distorted by the fact that unique in music history they are running all over the planet after 43 years with the same enthusiasm. Moreover, their live version sounds most of the time better live than on studio.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 16, 2006 16:15

GIVING A CD to EVERY TICKET BUYER WOULD piss off wallmart, kmart and all the record stores..but they could give a voucher so you could go out to buy a cd from the stores.. either way the stones would give someting back to their old and new fans and sell more records...a win win for everybody!

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: February 16, 2006 16:48

JumpingKentFlash wrote : "I don't think it's considered a hit unless it tops the charts in the US and stays there for a short while."

É have to disagree. What criterion is this? There are artists (for example Robbie Williams) who sell million of copies wordlwide being unsuccessful act in the US. You can see some "monsters" -as sellers- in the US who are completely unknown in the rest of the planet (for example some country artists).

Actually what makes an album hit is the number of it's copies sold worldwide, not the chart potitions which very often are casual factors: On a particular week an album stays at #2 even with 310,000 units sold (remember "40 Licks"). During another week an album goes to #1 with 150,000 copies. Voodoo Lounge had sold 5.5 million of copies worldwide. In the US it's peak position was #2. In the UK the peak position of Some Girls was #2, but the album sold 9 million units (the best selling studio album of the Stones)!

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: February 16, 2006 17:49

No, they havent had a hit since Start me up. It's a hit for them maybe but people don't think of it as a hit. Most dont know they.ve made a new album cause its not a happening anymore, it was supposed to be, but the album isnt good enough. It's good, I kinda like it but try to compare it with their hits or anybodys...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1613
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home