Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Do you like the song "Whitebird"
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 10, 2006 02:21

I have to ask this one. Does anyone like the song "Whitebird" by Its A Beautiful Day? Everyone I always ask either hates it or loves it.

Most men hate it

I like the song. I like the hammond organ note and the violin solo. It is the San Francisco hippie sound. Kind of a mesmerizing tune.

Re: Do you like the song "Whitebird"
Posted by: Messhead ()
Date: February 10, 2006 02:33

I would rather the early Dead, Airplane, and Moby Grape be the bands that we think of when referring to the San Fran sound. I don't really like anything I have heard by It's a Beautiful Day. I guess I get why some people do, just not me.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 10, 2006 02:34

I liked it in 1969. I also tend to like songs with Hammond B3's. But all my listening was drug-enhanced then. Now I think the song is, well there's not much to it.

Date: February 10, 2006 02:49

Did Moby Grape have any hits?

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: February 10, 2006 02:55

Any big Tampax Trio fans here?

Posted by: Messhead ()
Date: February 10, 2006 03:33

No hits for Moby Grape. Probably because they were song oriented, not jam oriented. Also, their record label released SIX singles at the same time when the first record came out. STUPID, radio didn't know what to sell. Moby Grape's best known song is Omaha, but I don't believe it was a hit of any sort. Anyway, the first record is fantastic, just like the Dead's first record. No real hits on either disc, but fantastic songs. San Fran songs before the extended jams began. Those two records are not considered garage records necessarily, but are a must for any garage fan from any era.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: February 10, 2006 03:40

AWEFULLLLLLLLLL!!!! I love 60's music but this song makes me beg for God Save the Queen, 1977, In the City, I Wanna Be your Dog, Cretin Hop, etc,etc,etc

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: February 10, 2006 07:24

Messhead:

My father and I saw Moby Grape in Golden Gate Park in San Francisco in about 1967.

The audience went crazy. My pop, always a fan of 'jam' groups, joins me to this day in wondering WHY.

Not that they sucked, but it just wasn't the deal.

Only two years later we would see the Stones, Jefferson Airplane, Santana and others at Altamont.

Last week I saw the Stones in Baltimore.

Honest to God: it just gets better over time.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: February 10, 2006 07:25

love the song.

Moby Grape - one of the great SF bands - they were totally mis-managed or they'd be a household name. They had so much talent is was ridiculous.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: February 10, 2006 07:55

Love it...

Date: February 10, 2006 07:58

Another recluse, that last I heard, retired to Hawaii was Lee Michaels. This dude rocked the Hammond. But he never achieved the fame he hoped for and quit music. I would have liked to have seen his show.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 10, 2006 08:15

I own a cockatoo, so, for that reason alone, yes, of course.

Date: February 10, 2006 09:17

Lee Michaels - He was one of the most exciting live acts of late '60's - early '70's. You would have had to see him to believe it. He really did drop out of sight. I heard he has tinnitis (sp?). Also heard he was part owner of "Killer Shrimp" restaurant in Manhattan Beach, California.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: February 10, 2006 14:44

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH the STONES or ANYTHING FOR THAT MATTER!? Do YOU like PEANUTS?

Date: February 10, 2006 17:21

Sorry Debra,

With your permission we like to digress once and while.

It has everything to do with the Stones as they were a part of that era as well. Sometimes other conversations rekindle new thoughts on Stones issues.

I'm sure many of the posters here have a ton of related stories and thoughts that interest us all. I love the mix.

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: February 10, 2006 17:28

Sicilian - from a fellow "Sicilian"

I love the live version from the farewell to the Fillmore Album!!!

MLC

Date: February 10, 2006 18:43

Does anyone know if Moby Grape or Lee Michaels ever opened for the Stones?

Posted by: Juiced In NJ ()
Date: February 10, 2006 19:26

I think Lee Michaels was one of the opening acts at MSG in Nov, 1969. I also remember Ike & Tina Turner and B.B. King from that show. I think I popped a button on me trowsers!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: February 10, 2006 22:02

Don't think either ever opened for the Stones...

Moby Grape were pretty well known down here in LA/Calif back in the 60's...

my brother saw them at a place called the Hullabaloo, back then..

Great Place!! I saw the Doors. Love, Buffalo Springfield,
Hour Glass(band before the Allman Bros became the Allmans - Duane cooked!!)
there!!

MLC

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: February 10, 2006 23:21

Special meaning for me - I found it in the record collection of a friend's mum and we listened to it while smoking our first joint grinning smiley

Date: February 10, 2006 23:37

I think the other act with B.B. King and Ike and Tina was Terry Reid.

Date: February 11, 2006 00:47

Lorenz,

I hope it was the long version.

MCDDTLC,

The Doors live, man that must have been awesome!

I'm surprised that there are a lot of "Whitebird" fans out there. I have yet to find anyone who has a copy of it.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: February 11, 2006 01:13

Lee Michaels inspired a lot of people to get Hammond organs, including my much-older brother. Now, a whole lot of the old Hammonds and Leslie speakers are sitting in basements because it required a dolly to wheel them and a big van to carry them around. Years later, you could buy smaller, lighter synths to make the same sound, though I see some of the oldies acts (including Steve Winwood) feature them again. You can't beat the original sound. Does Chuck L. have one? I've never noticed.

I recall a rumor years ago that Lee was going blind from the stage lights. I think it must have been a lie, or people like the Stones would have lost their sight years ago. Hopefully, Lee is just relaxing, not burned out like the frightening Sly Stone.

Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: February 11, 2006 01:17

Debra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH the STONES or
> ANYTHING FOR THAT MATTER!? Do YOU like PEANUTS?

i like peanuts....not so much as in peanutbutter....more like "m & m" peanuts....also, caramel covered peanuts are excellent for the sugar addict....and for thai food fans...peanut sauce is quite the shit.....now peanut brittle.....that's a whole 'nother story

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 11, 2006 01:55

I like Peanuts, but I hate it when Lucy pulls the ball away at the last second as Charlie Brown is trying to kick it. Hopefully Snoopy will bite her in the ass and she will knock that stuff off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1484
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home