Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Wandering Spirit?
Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: February 9, 2006 22:56

Great Saxophone by Courtney Pine by the way!!

I love it when Mick or The Stones hire jazzartists like Sonny Rollins or Joshua Redman, and of course Courtney Pine... it gives the songs an extra dimension.. really great!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 9, 2006 22:59

totally agree, muddyw. much as I love Bobby Keys, he is a pretty limited player.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 10, 2006 01:12

Wired All Night
Evening Gown

Best "Stone" record since Tattoo You, sadly his next solo album sucked big time.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 10, 2006 12:19

J.J.Flash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Wired All Night.
> > Put Me In The Trash.
> >
> >
> > Horsens June 8th. I told you so.
>
>
> finally, someone else likes put me in the trash! I
> love that tune!

Well, what's not to like? A killer riff, and a great song.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: gaigai ()
Date: February 10, 2006 13:26

Brilliant. Better then anything Stones. The most underrated album of all times.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: February 10, 2006 14:16

Anyhting but "Put me in the Trash". I think it is interesting that no one has mentioned "Angel in my Heart". I would think this was the one Jagger hoped would be the jaw dropper.

"...no longer shall you trudge 'cross my peaceful mind."

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 10, 2006 18:06

chelsea - good call - but then there are so many jaw-droppers to choose from.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 11, 2006 01:50

Great album, not a bad track on there. Overall I like A Bigger Bang a bit better just because I think Rough Justice and Oh No Not You Again are better than anything on Wandering Spirit. But Wandering Spirit is much more consistent; every track is very enjoyable and there are a few on ABB I'm not that crazy about. And don't even get me started on the abomination that is Streets of Love.

It would be very hard to pick just two favorites from Wandering Spirit. The best ones on there in my opinion are Sweet Thing, Wandering Spirit and Out of Focus. Put Me In The Trash is kind of a guilty pleasure for me; it's so goofy but it's a fun song.

Posted by: smilingsun ()
Date: February 11, 2006 02:46

wandering spirit Wrote:
> @smilingsun:
>
> i am pretty suprised that you prefer Goddess to
> WS! why? what are your favourite songs on Goddess?
> (i personally was pretty disappointed by Goddess -
> the only song which are decent for me are "god
> gave me everything", gun, too far gone and maybe
> hide away)

I don't know whysmiling smiley It sounds very modern. Wandering Spirit is a very good album full of songs that could be Stones songs, if Mick worked on them with Keith. It's Mick without Keith, basically.
Goddess is not like that, it's Mick writing not stonesy songs, and I think he really succeeded. As much as I love the Stones' rocknroll, blues, whatever, I sure need to listen to something else too - I love Hide Away, Gun, which you also mentioned, is also my favourite track - great energy in there, the way he shouts the last chorus, wow.
On Goddess, Jagger also began to write a bit more personal lyrics than before, Too Far Gone, Don't Call Me Up, Brand New Set Of Rules are all... sweet. (You got a MickChick speaking, so... have some sympathy, I simply appreciate thatsmiling smiley.
You said your were pretty disappointed by Goddess - well, for me it was only the second "Stones" album I ever heard, after Forty Licks... Everybody gotta start somewhere. So it's obviously connected with some memories.
Also, there are people who don't really react to Stones music (sigh), but they ask you about Goddess when it's playing - meaning it sounds nice. So it somehow works.
The anwer to your question, why, for me Goddess is a good hip album, and it's kinda impressive it was done by Mick.
Lol, I know some others hate this very thing - Mick trying to be hip. I just think this time it wasn't bad at all, it shows he's really talented, that's it (as ferrante sayssmiling smiley).

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: February 11, 2006 04:05

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-23 01:32 by cirrhosis.

Date: February 11, 2006 04:13

Just to add a bit of perspective to this thread, I love the music to Wired All Night but have always thought the lyrics were cringe-worthy. Anyone else agree?

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: February 11, 2006 04:30

ohnonotyouagain Wrote:
> Just to add a bit of perspective to this thread, I
> love the music to Wired All Night but have always
> thought the lyrics were cringe-worthy. Anyone else
> agree?

I was thinking something like that too. A lot of people putting it on their fave list-- but apart from the fact that it's a fun song, opens the album energetically, and all that, it's not exactly anywhere near the best song, especially lyrics-wise, yes.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: February 11, 2006 04:50

Evening Gown- wow... wish it was on a stones album.

Hang on to me tonight- great.

Angel in my Heart- very very good.

Date: February 11, 2006 04:59

Many people have said they wished these were Stones songs. I don't agree. I think this album was a once in a lifetime collision of musical circumstances; Jagger wanted to prove himself as a solo artist. And indeed, this is his only critically acclaimed album. He had Rubin, a brilliant producer, and a great cast of fresh talent (fresh compared to Jagger, anyway).

If the Stones had tackled these songs I don't think they would have come out nearly as well. They would have gotten the Voodoo Lounge treatment. I like Voodoo Lounge, but not nearly as much as I like Wandering Spirit.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 11, 2006 05:03

gaigai wrote:

Better then anything Stones.

Gimme a toke of that stuff you've got!

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: February 11, 2006 10:32

Wandering Spirit is played all the time in this house...it is a classic and the best part about it.........it's not dated......Evening Gown, Hang On to Me 2night, Out of Focus.....AND Sweet Thing......dare I say it.............(as good as Miss You).........and then there's the rest of the album....Mick kicked major ass on this CD...a hugely underated album and one that proves without a doubt how much he grew as an artist. My respect for Mick skyrocketed after this effort. He was no longer just "the best frontman" in Rock after this effort. Major Props to Mick!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 11, 2006 11:14

gaigai Wrote:
> Better then anything Stones.

Say what? Seriously?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: James Lynn ()
Date: February 11, 2006 21:29

Evening Gown & Don't Tear me Up for me! I think its by far the best of his 4 solo albums. This is really very very good. I wish the first 2 could be "stripped" of its 80's sleek sound. In other words what would some of those songs sound like minus the dated sound. If "stripped" down would be interesting to hear how they would actually hold up. I think some good songs there but I can't get past that "dated" sound. Wandering Spirit heads & tails above the 3 others clearly to me MEZ

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home