Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Does a Stones tour drive you extremist ?
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 8, 2006 10:06

As for me, more than a little.

I'am planning today my third trip from France to USA in four months. Wife is getting crazy. Plus, spring and summer holidays are also connected to the gig : Barcelona (family trip), Paris (buche of gold tickets that made a big overdraft on my bank accounnt) and Cardiff. I keep my mouth shut about Asia.

But this madness is influencing my daily life. Always counting money, days, airline faires, binding professional meetings to the Stones schedule... Happily, I am independant.

Re: Does a Stones tour drive you extremist ?
Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: February 8, 2006 10:11

No but dvds and boots from the mid 70s do. Anything from 1975-19777 is religion for me.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 8, 2006 10:17

Since I stopped followin the concerts thru internet its better.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: February 8, 2006 11:28

Religion to me. And for me.

Posted by: stonefan ()
Date: February 8, 2006 12:24

oh yeah easily !
I could even tie my family down and ask my neighbour to go and feed them once a day !

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: February 8, 2006 12:49

I recognize your situation clearly, The Joker. I've already got tickets for Gothenburg, both Wembley shows and Paris 2 and still I'm on a daily basis trying to squeeze in further gigs to my itinerary during the up-coming European tour. Lots of thinking about whether to book flights at this point or later on since future shows might be postponed and the same goes with the hotels/hostels. It's like trying to solve this huge jig-saw puzzle.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 8, 2006 12:53

Come to think of it, The Stones, i should worry about that stuff to. I have tickets for Barcelona, Paris, Brussels and Wembley 1. I haven't thought about booking hotels or flights but if i don't want to spend to much money i should worry about that from now on. Thank for the post, The Joker, you keep me sharp :-)

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: February 8, 2006 13:04

I'd be jobless and bordering on broke if my better half didn't keep me under control.
Damn wives.

Does anybody know the names of that Japanese couple that used to go to every gig?
Can't remember their names at the moment but I wonder if they still do.

Anyway, I'm jealous of them I admit but all power to them.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: February 8, 2006 15:27

This stones extremism is definitely not improving my financial predicament.
I gotta apply for financial aid. This had better be the last tour.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: February 8, 2006 15:38

I agree, it does. I get rather addicted to them when they are touring/new album out etc... I find myself relating them to many aspects of life, for example, a quote made by mick or keith etc. Also, If i visit somewhere that the stones have played, or are due to play, i wanna find out what, how, where etc.

Right now my financial situation is not great, I wish i could afford a trip to the states in march, but its not gonna work. My plan is to save and get stable money-wise, get some great savings, so that when the next tour happens in 3 years for example, i'm ready to blow some serious coin to catch a few gigs. I'd love to see them in tokyo and south america for example...

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: February 8, 2006 16:36

I found my self bankrupt lying in a pool.
So for obvious reasons I will skip Radio City Music Hall, because the donation wouldn't suit into my budget.
Getting cheaper flights and hotel rates, I just booked eveything in advance for our personal first leg.
Flying from Paris to Bergen was about 2500 USD (for two) all the time, and suddenly I found the same flights on SAS for 350 USD. It won't get cheaper.
Also London flights are heavily booked and the cheap airlines are not anymore that cheap.
Be aware if you book hotels in advance (without paying in advance) you still get very good deals. Most of them can be cancelled on the day or the day before.
For now I hope they will manage all the concerts I have tickets for.
But as the schedule has less and less they will stick to the dates I assume

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 8, 2006 16:52

I happened on to this website in the late summer when I learned I had a free ticket to the Oct 15 show in Atlanta. I was looking for set lists of the concerts leading up to Atlanta. Damn, if you all didn't suck me right into this cyber world and now I'm hooked. One could argue, I suppose, that this website interferes with my work...a little.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 8, 2006 16:53

Not religion to me, but very, VERY big. Actually my biggest "hobby".

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: tat2you ()
Date: February 8, 2006 17:44

no when they are not touring is when i have issues!!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 8, 2006 17:52

so you're driving your wife crazy, eh?

my only question I would ever ask myself is does it ever get to the point of seriously affecting important relationships in my life - if I would ever answer "yes" to that then it definitely is going too far. no form of entertainment should ever be so important as to eroding important relationships, IMO.

Date: February 8, 2006 17:56

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so you're driving your wife crazy, eh?
>
> my only question I would ever ask myself is does
> it ever get to the point of seriously affecting
> important relationships in my life - if I would
> ever answer "yes" to that then it definitely is
> going too far. no form of entertainment should
> ever be so important as to eroding important
> relationships, IMO.

true.....all my girl friends love the stones...my son loves dancing around to Black Limosine!!!

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: February 8, 2006 18:43

I used to be like that when in my early & mid 20s. Now that I'm in my late 20s...I've found that I have other responsibilities and grown up concerns. Going deep into debt to catch another few shows used to be ok...but now...it would seem an incredibly poor decision. Paying my student loans, car repair bills, rent, taking my girl out, etc. are really more important than the shows I miss. Then again...I've seen SOOOOO many concerts (not just Stones) that the experience isn't what it used to be. Don't get me wrong, I still see tons of concerts and lots of Stones shows...but I don't get the same high I used to and I don't foolishly go deep into debt for it either. Perhaps once you've done the things...then you don't have to do them as much...

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 8, 2006 20:34

sdtonesguy, I'm 48 and I feel the opposite. I think my immaturity is growing.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 8, 2006 20:40

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> Not religion to me, but very, VERY big. Actually
> my biggest "hobby".
>
>
> Horsens June 8th. I told you so.

Kent, it´s not a hobby, it IS religion.

Date: February 8, 2006 21:03

sdstonesguy Wrote:
> I used to be like that when in my early & mid
> 20s. Now that I'm in my late 20s...I've found
> that I have other responsibilities and grown up
> concerns. Going deep into debt to catch another
> few shows used to be ok...but now...it would seem
> an incredibly poor decision. Paying my student
> loans, car repair bills, rent, taking my girl out,
> etc. are really more important than the shows I
> miss. Then again...I've seen SOOOOO many concerts
> (not just Stones) that the experience isn't what
> it used to be. Don't get me wrong, I still see
> tons of concerts and lots of Stones shows...but I
> don't get the same high I used to and I don't
> foolishly go deep into debt for it either.
> Perhaps once you've done the things...then you
> don't have to do them as much...

Late 20's?? LOL.....u have to have priorities...however when you are in your 40's the stones an't going to be around !!!so get it whiel you can

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: February 8, 2006 21:25

Lets all sit at home and eat dinner every night and then watch TV and then go to bed and then get up and go to work and then come home and then eat dinner and then watch TV and then got to bed and then ... you get the idea.

If 9/11 and 7/7 (London) and other events have any lessons to teach us one is life is short and enjoy it whilst you can.

Don't go bankcrupt following the Stones (or any other interest) but remember "you can't take it with you"

End of sermon

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 8, 2006 22:06

The Stones don't drive me to extremes, I do that by myself quite well!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 8, 2006 22:10

supposen you enjoy that dinner-eat-bed routine? is that okay?

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: February 9, 2006 01:58

The Stones are my only DRUG and I have to restrain myself from buying tickets to shows FAR AWAY because I have to travel alone and as a woman, alone in a strange place is not cool, and can be dangerous. I do travel alone to gigs in the USA and my pals think I need to be committed! I do the entire East Coast and am praying for a few more shows in October. It's really hard to explain WHY I hate missing any show but I know I have to miss alot of them! I'd be on welfare if I didn't control the urges!

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: February 9, 2006 03:55

Not to be defensive...but anyone who thinks I've done it wrong...you tell me of the shows you saw by my age & we'll compare. I grew up dirt poor and have enough security now to pay my bills...I don't need to go back to poverty for the Stones or any 40 something here who has the cash to say he/she thinks I should do more. I won't go into the #s or the shows...but I'd put it up against almost anyone of any age...and I don't mean JUST the Stones...but if need be...I'd put that up too. I've caught 5 shows on this tour...not the usual 15...so sue me.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: February 9, 2006 08:13

its bad and getting worse (or better) for me - i keep buying tickets, including RCMH tickets i can't afford - i have a huge credit card limit but no real money to spend. i almost always travel by myself but now often don't even tell my friends and family where i'm going - right now i'm in a hotel in atlanta coming down from the show - very few people know that i'm down here or why - its a problem when its a secret. tonight's show tells me its not over yet!

Posted by: lonecrapshooter ()
Date: February 9, 2006 09:08

Rio is free.

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: February 9, 2006 10:41

Debra travelling in Europe is as save as in the US. And if in doubt not come on over we will be around and pamper you from Barcelona to Madrid to Bruxelles to Paris to Bergen to Göteborg (miss Denmark to big), Or what about Milano for a weekend (we'll be there) or Stuttgart/Switzerland. And if that does not please you we travel UK in August for a long week.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 9, 2006 11:56

I personally don't think so, but my Mrs unquestionably does. She puts up with my behaviour though, I'll give her that. I flew to the States last year to go to MSG, Giants and Albany. In 2006 I've already got tickets for the first 2 shows in Europe (Barcelona and Madrid), and also all the UK shows (Wembley 1 & 2, Glasgow, Sheffield, Cardiff). I'm currently waiting for Porto and Valladolid to come on sale. That will be my lot, UNLESS I happen to be sitting around at home twiddling my thumbs during the months of June and July - in which case I might try my luck with a show or two during that period. Is this extreme ? Don't know really, seems pretty normal for me as a heavy duty fan, but some of friends do think I am completely off my trolley !! Thankfully they only tour once every few years, I couldn't really see myself behaving like this routinely year in year out. Or could I ? AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaggggghhhhhhh - there's a thought !!

Posted by: waaghals ()
Date: February 9, 2006 13:18

To me it's more like a call to arms and meeting the guys in your old regiment!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1950
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home