Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: The Who to Tour
Posted by: Halup ()
Date: February 3, 2006 20:26

The Sicilian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > What ever happened to Kenny Jones? He seemed to
> be an excellent fill in for Keith Moon and then
> suddenly no more.
>
> Did he get the boot or did he quit?

Roger Daltrey did not want Kenny Jones back in the Who when they reunited for the tour in 1989. He was always opposed to the Who adding Jones as a full member back in 1979, instead preferring that they use an outside musician who would not be a full member, like the Stones do with Darryl Jones. He seems to have felt that Jones was not a good fit for them and to have built resentment against him. Jones did reunite with them for Live Aid in 85 and the British music awards in 88, because on short notice and for only having to play a few songs, I guess Daltrey had no issue with it.

Zak Starkey is a fantastic match for the Who and was practically destimed to become the Who's drummer. Ringo was good friends with Keith Moon in the 70s and it was from Keith that Zak learned to play drums, as Ringo did not want to push drums on his son.

In 1985, Ringo and Zak were among the drummers who played on Daltrey's tribute to Moon, Under A Raging Moon. In 1994, Daltrey did a solo tour where Entwistle would come on about 1/3 of the way through the show and play til the end. Zak was the drummer on this tour, which almost entirely consisted of Who songs and a lot of Quadrophenia.

In 1995, the Entwistle-Zak bond was further enhanced when they both toured as members of Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band. By the time the Who returned to the road in 1996 to play the Quadrophenia album in its entirety, Zak was the perfect choice for them.

I have seen Zak play live with 5 different acts: Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band, Roger Daltrey, The Who, Johnny Marr and the Healers and Oasis. I think he's an excellent drummer, epecially when he gets to really shine on the Who material.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 3, 2006 20:29

lukester, wasn't that 82 show in Orlando. I was there. The B-52's were booed off the stage (who teh hell lined thenm up with the Who?) by people throwing shoes!

BTW, Joan Jett played "Star, Star" that day. She still looked good then. Long dark hair, not that lesbo look of today.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 3, 2006 20:41

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> lukester, wasn't that 82 show in Orlando. I was
> there. The B-52's were booed off the stage (who
> teh hell lined thenm up with the Who?) by people
> throwing shoes!
>
> BTW, Joan Jett played "Star, Star" that day. She
> still looked good then. Long dark hair, not that
> lesbo look of today.

You damn right Elmo, my bad. Hey, you know, brain cell damage and all. I drove down from NC with a friend and we stayed with another friend in J'ville, hence my confusion. I remember the booing for the B-52's. To this day I still joke about how stadium cups literally bounced off the red headed girl's bee hive hair do. I'm guessing she used some industrial strength hair spray on that "do." As far as I know only their egos got hurt (hopefully). The show was sponsored by Schlitz beer, remember them? I've still got the ticket stub at home.

I figured someone on this forum had probably been there. Thanks.

Date: February 3, 2006 20:46

That was the only time I've ever feared for my life at a concert. Violent, very high crowd. We camped out beside the lake behind the stadium, but didn't have a Brown Eyed Girl (Damn!). Went to a cinema drafthouse for a midnight showing of "The Kids Are Alright" the night before. Crazy stuff like that's where you make memories.

BTW, I thought The Who's show that day/night was better than the Stones visit the previous year. Please don't throw cups at me!

Cheers!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 3, 2006 20:47

ablett Wrote:
> I think its a shame. I love the Who but I get the
> feeling this is tarnishing their legacy? Just call
> it Townshend & Daltry or something and not The
> Who

Agreed.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 3, 2006 20:56

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
> That was the only time I've ever feared for my
> life at a concert. Violent, very high crowd. We
> camped out beside the lake behind the stadium, but
> didn't have a Brown Eyed Girl (Damn!). Went to a
> cinema drafthouse for a midnight showing of "The
> Kids Are Alright" the night before. Crazy stuff
> like that's where you make memories.
>
> BTW, I thought The Who's show that day/night was
> better than the Stones visit the previous year.
> Please don't throw cups at me!
>
> Cheers!

LOL I love those old stories. Were you living in FL at the time? I wish I'd seen that Stones show the year before. If it's the one I'm thinking of the same guy who road to the Who show with me was at that Stones show and he said a lot of young ladies were flashing their tits at the band (duh?) He said Jagger made some comment about how lovely they looked? And wasn't Van Halen there too?
I can't remember.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-02-03 21:10 by Lukester.

Date: February 3, 2006 21:06

Always been a Georgia boy. Yeah, lots of pretty (and wild) ladies at The Stones shows with Van Halen, even Valerie B. Van Halen was there. Unfortunately, she didn't flash!

Posted by: ruby t. ()
Date: February 3, 2006 21:41

Thanks for posting about the Who. You guys are SO informative! I didn't know Zak was playing with them. John was my fave bass player (aside from Bill Wyman of course) Those bass-playin'shoes will be hard to fill!

Date: February 4, 2006 02:27

Zak is excellent - in the league with Max Weinberg (sp?) or Kenny Aronoff. Saw him with Ringo's band a few years back.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: February 4, 2006 05:21

Kenny Jones wouldn't be there as Daltrey doesn't like him as a drummer. I'd hire John Paul Jones on bass.

Posted by: bigfrankie ()
Date: February 4, 2006 05:28

Huge Who fan here- but I just don't see how they can call themselves THE WHO with only Roger & Pete. ANybody thats goign to go see them knows who they are already. What if it comes down to only one of them? Is he still THE WHO? There has to be a limit. "Daltry & Townshend" would be much more resectful to their leagcy.

don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: February 4, 2006 09:43

OLD JOKE:

The Who are touring with the remaining members of the Bee Gees and the Fuggs.

The Who Gibbs a Fugg Tour

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: February 4, 2006 09:47

pt has writers block

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: February 4, 2006 10:18

Even at his age Townsend still plays a mean guitar....

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 4, 2006 12:24

Adrian-L Wrote:
> i'm really looking forward to seeing them tour
> again.
> Saw them twice in '04
> A 'Club gig' at The Kentish Town Forum, and at
> The Royal Albert Hall, afew night later- where
> they did a Greatest Hits set, before performing
> Tommy...
> quite a night.
> I've never been fortunate enough to get tickets
> for a Stones club show- but i can testify, to
> what a remarkable occasion, a Who club show ,is.

I was there too Adrian, at both the Forum and Albert Hall shows and they were great both times. Really looking forward to seeing them again. On a good night they're superb, on a great night they're untoppable.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 4, 2006 12:41

bigfrankie Wrote:
> Huge Who fan here- but I just don't see how they
> can call themselves THE WHO with only Roger &
> Pete. ANybody thats goign to go see them knows who
> they are already. What if it comes down to only
> one of them? Is he still THE WHO? There has to be
> a limit. "Daltry & Townshend" would be much
> more resectful to their leagcy.
>
> don't give me that ole one two, one two three four

Well judging from McCartney's statements about the stones playing the superbowl after the Beatles it wpuldn't be the first "band" to do so.

I have never seen the Who and of course i'm never able to beacuse halve the band isn't there anymore but i'm sure i'm going to see the remaining two in 2007!!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home